Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Too Hot For Trains Tomorrow.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Genuinely trying to work out whether this will actually be an issue tomorrow or if the announcement is just OTT. I don't mind slight delays but **** sitting on a train for 2 hours.

My train home has already fallen victim to the heat and been cancelled. Not sure whether to leave half an hour earlier or half an hour later.

I worked from home yesterday but have to attend an important meeting today.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
On an empty air conditioned train from Portslade to Victoria - so far so good (tempting fate)

Going to the 20/20 at the Oval after work so hopefully (if I survive that) trains will have recovered by later this evening!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Trains seem to run on time in France, Germany and Poland. Even when the temperature is in the low 40's as it was a few weeks ago.

Pathetic. Sort it out, Boris.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trains seem to run on time in France, Germany and Poland. Even when the temperature is in the low 40's as it was a few weeks ago.

The Jubilee line has been largely excellent since Boris got it sorted for the Olympics when he was Mayor. We're in good hands :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The idiot who compiles the Radio 4 news bulletins has just informed us that trains will be running at reduced speeds this afternoon to prevent the rails from buckling.

Wonder what temps rails officially buckle at?
They buckle when they have no room to expand into, so I suppose it depends more on how loosely they are slotted into the fishplates.

Last edited:

Good explanation of why tracks buckle in this "thread" of tweets:

https://twitter.com/alexwlchan/status/1154122791958040581

Will only take a minute or so to read but explains it concisely.
Will take a lot longer than a minute for me, apparently I'm 'rate limited'. I've no idea what that means!
Screenshot_20190725-143317.png

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Well here is the link to the French railways website outlining the same thing that we have introduced, would you like me to go and have a look and see if I can find the Belgian one as well?

Edit: Belgian updates for you as well, because I'm bored.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
They buckle when they have no room to expand into, so I suppose it depends more on how loosely they are slotted into the fishplates.

Continously Welded Rail is used in most places these days, fine for the 360 days a year it isn't this warm but there just isn't the expansion room compared to the old jointed track.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Well here is the link to the French railways website outlining the same thing that we have introduced, would you like me to go and have a look and see if I can find the Belgian one as well?

Edit: Belgian updates for you as well, because I'm bored.

Who'd have thought the laws of physics apply in other countries too?

I wonder if they have to put up with tedious and ignorant "The wrong sort of snow/leaves/sunlight/heat" newspaper headlines too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hmmmmmmmm.........I believe the Indian Pacific runs through the Nullabor Plains where summer temperatures can get up to 50C.

:shrug:

Just saying like.

But is it not more likely that staff have taken hols / gone sick to enjoy the nice weather and that's why they can't run a full service rather than the steel rails are likely to melt?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here