Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** Official thread: England v Ireland, First (and only) Test Match, Lord's ***

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Bit of history this morning. Toss is imminent for the first Eng vs Ire Test match, which will be a 4 day affair maximum with 98 overs per day scheduled (rather than the usual 90). Suspect with the heat getting 98 overs in will be asking a lot.

Jason Roy to make his red ball debut for England, along with Olly Stone (back from the injury that prevented him playing in the Windies back yard).

Also of interest will be how Rankin does for Ire, having previously played for Eng.

Anyone here give Ire any chance of putting up a fight? Expecting it to be over inside 3 days myself. Along with a big first up score from Roy, who's being given a nice easy outing ahead of the Ashes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Going tomorrow

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't wait to see how England manage to collapse embarrassingly before being bailed out by Curran and Woakes this afternoon

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yah, that was a bit of an own goal. Suspect they asked for a bowler friendly pitch and got a bit more than they bargained for in the end.

Thing is, nobody here is sure whether to be rejoicing in the batting ineptitude, or cowering in fear of the quicks.

Lack of time in the middle for the batsmen has to be a good thing though, on balance (from an England viewpoint, obvs)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Jason Roy
Rory Burns
Joe Denly
Joe Root(c)
Jonny Bairstow(wk)
Moeen Ali
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Stuart Broad
Jack Leach
Olly Stone

v

William Porterfield(c)
Paul Stirling
Andrew Balbirnie
James McCollum
Kevin O'Brien
Gary Wilson(wk)
Mark Adair
Andy McBrine
Stuart Thompson
Boyd Rankin
Tim Murtagh

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Another stat for this test: It's the longest gap between tests in the last 20 years. Which just goes to show how much test cricket has been played in recent decades, and the impact that having the (long) World Cup off the back of the IPL has had on test match scheduling.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Another stat for this test: It's the longest gap between tests in the last 20 years. Which just goes to show how much test cricket has been played in recent decades, and the impact that having the (long) World Cup off the back of the IPL has had on test match scheduling.

Sad demise of proper cricket. Even sadder for the first time I am going to the Sussex 20 20 tonight thinking this is our season in one competition. I dread the 100 ball launch next season and how it will add more nails into the coffin of my beloved 4 day game.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

I read the other day that the reason the World Cup was so long is the same reason the IPL goes on for 8 weeks... the Indians wanted it that way to increase the number of games they play and can sell to Indian TV stations.

It might be making money but it's not helping the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here