Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Knockaert scores

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The new Barnes has arrived on NSC. Every goal, assist, card and fart will now be poured over forensically for the next 5 years, whether it be against Luton or Liverpool.

Happy days.
Who cares? It's better than the world's most awful creature or whatever.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
It seems a bit rich all the people questioning Knockaert's loyalty to the club. For 3 years he has done nothing but say how much he loved the club (in particular all the players travelling to his father's funeral).

Yet there have been a lot of fans who are more than happy to get rid of (and in particular talk down about) a player who is one of the main reasons we are where we are today. I'm not saying it was right or wrong to move him on, but given the way some fans talk about loyalty and expect players to be equally loyal there's darn little that goes the other way.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wouldn't it be nice if a statement had been issued along the lines of either

a) AK asked for a move and Fulham came in

b) Manager thought he did not fit his style of play/ had wrong attitude / walking red card / we think Trossard is better and can't keep both

it would n't eliminate all the back biting but at least it could be done from an informed basis

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I think he is a great player and one we will miss. I thought Knockaert got some unfair stick last season, apart from that daft red card. Yes he can be reckless and abit of a moaner at times but at least he actually works his ass off to get back and TRY to defend. He also wants to run at defenders and take them on not just kick the ball and run past them. I think he should do wonders for Fulham in The Championship. I still think he would have been good for us this coming season too, especially if Potter is really going to let the reigns off us this season and play this attacking football people speak of :lol: but maybe he wants more game time and Potter just cant guaranty that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
image.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You have got no idea if he wanted to play for us again or not. Players have little say in it. Agents and clubs move players around like commodities.
They do the polite thing of saying they have always wanted to play for such & such a team, but that's just platitudes.

The way you posted it twice in CAPITALS says to me, you're having problems coping and have convinced yourself of his perfidy.
I’ve given you a thumbs up even allowing for the fact I don’t know what perfidy means....... but that’s my ignorance showing through.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I wish him well and consider that the decision to move was his, for whatever reason.
Will always wonder what a season under Potter would have yielded for him though.
Maybe he is well aware of his strengths and weaknesses and we all know he can still make more than a decent living playing at a different level in the Championship.
Good Luck Anthony and look forward to seeing you in a cup game maybe.........................will be pissed if you score though.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It seems a bit rich all the people questioning Knockaert's loyalty to the club. For 3 years he has done nothing but say how much he loved the club (in particular all the players travelling to his father's funeral).

Yet there have been a lot of fans who are more than happy to get rid of (and in particular talk down about) a player who is one of the main reasons we are where we are today. I'm not saying it was right or wrong to move him on, but given the way some fans talk about loyalty and expect players to be equally loyal there's darn little that goes the other way.

Cough - Chris Hughton - cough

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He was great but he never looked like an established Premier league player, and we have him two full seasons in a side built to his strengths, and he still looked like he was finding his feet. Amazing memories from the championship, and will always love him, but I'm excited about getting a better player in that position

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
He was great but he never looked like an established Premier league player, and we have him two full seasons in a side built to his strengths, and he still looked like he was finding his feet. Amazing memories from the championship, and will always love him, but I'm excited about getting a better player in that position

I'd hardly say the side was built to his strengths! We were constantly on the defensive with little support for him so he was often left to try to cut through several players to feed Murray, his only real outlet.

He could do it in the Championship with poorer defenders but not in the Premier League.

Think we could have got a lot more out of him with better players around him and I'm struggling to think how we might recruit a clear upgrade without spending mega bucks.

Very disappointed he's gone.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As as I’ve said on another thread, there is some rose-tinted spectacle stuff in this.

My own personal view is that he wasn’t quite good enough at the top level and his temperament could be a massive liability. He’s no good to us if he gets suspended after that horrendous tackle in the Bournemouth game.

I think we’re all grumpy because it doesn’t look like we’re improving the squad whilst selling our most skilful player at the same time.

If Trossard turns out to be the next Messi then no one will be bothered about letting AK go, but if he’s another duff signing like Ali J or a sick note like Izquierdo then the club will come in for more criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What I want to know is this. Why did the club push AK out after his performances that earned him player of the season. And we have no replacement lined up. Does the loan mean that he could come back into the fold, or does it mean Potter doesn't fancy him, what with his system being entirely different? One thing is that nothing will be the same again. Apart from sentiments like this which need to be restated again and again.

:facepalm::shootself

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
None at all, but it’s not hard to read between the lines is it? He had a contract. If he wanted to stay, he could have. Potter said he wanted to keep him. When has knockaert said he wanted to stay or any words to that affect?
Well he's said that Brighton's been the best club he's ever been at, etc etc, so it's a bit of a surprise to many of us that he wanted out.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A step down from a club that he said he never wanted to leave. I don’t know why there is all this blind loyalty. Seems to me he showed us very little.

Another point. Fulham “enquired about his availability”. Why would Fulham enquire about a regular Premier League starters availability unless the player and his agent were angling for a move?

I think he showed quite a lot of loyalty. At the start of the Promotion season Newcastle came knocking with what I think was an £18m bid. Whether it was accepted or rejected is irrelevant because they would have been back with improved offers to get him. The only reason more offers didn't come was because Knockeart himself openly came out in public and stated he wasn't interested in leaving Brighton. So he did show quite a lot of loyalty. And who knows without him Promotion to the PL might not have been as straight forward because his contribution to that was phenomenal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here