Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
None.

My father liked opera and classical music played loudly, and my mother liked Christmas carols (played all the year round) and hymns, there was no middle ground at all.

:lolol: Like me you found your own true path by yourself it seems :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Can’t see your link - was it Rory Gallagher’s Irish tour? Recently bought it myself.
My guess would have been Tommy.
Not much in common with my Dad either, but he did like Thin Lizzy’s ‘whisky in a jar’.
I’m the oldie now last week went to Bristol with my student daughter to see her favourite band. Joy Division, well it was New Order but they did a few JD songs. Brilliant experience. Good taste rubs off!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK here is my album. This (if I have pasted correctly) is the showcase track. Brings a small tear to the eye to hear this, for Rory and for my dad, with whom I never saw eye to eye, except on this occasion, back in 75, perhaps. So come on folks, do you have a similar surprising shared bit of music with the olds?

Edit from 5 mins contains some of the most mind bending virtuosity on vinyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhih0IZHYNs&list=PLDDAYQXk_M64PuzcFv1ujnUL1LmiVlJ0_&index=7

When I was in France in the mid-70's the French used to go head-mental for Rory Gallagher. Him and Leetle Bob Story. Odd lot, they still had jukeboxes stacked with little else other than Johnny Hallyday and Sylvie Vartan records, at least a decade after their sell-by date. Probably still do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I was in France in the mid-70's the French used to go head-mental for Rory Gallagher. Him and Leetle Bob Story. Odd lot, they still had jukeboxes stacked with little else other than Johnny Hallyday and Sylvie Vartan records, at least a decade after their sell-by date. Probably still do.

:lolol: Little Bob Story. :lolol:

There is craploads of top French schmutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyZ04i3HCwI

And after that bury your face in this :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q8u6-b-9-k&t=901s

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can’t see your link - was it Rory Gallagher’s Irish tour? Recently bought it myself.
My guess would have been Tommy.
Not much in common with my Dad either, but he did like Thin Lizzy’s ‘whisky in a jar’.
I’m the oldie now last week went to Bristol with my student daughter to see her favourite band. Joy Division, well it was New Order but they did a few JD songs. Brilliant experience. Good taste rubs off!

Yes, Irish Tour 74,

Saw the reprobate do basically the same set at he Dome. Lively!

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Dad was Chris Barber and Acker Bilk, but also Beatles, Stones and most sixties UK pop plus some reggae. Mum was Elvis, Everley Brothers, Byrds and generally quite American in her taste. Later Dad and I crossed over with Steelye Span, Fairport Convention, Ralph McTell and Bob Marley (his) and Mike Oldfield, Supertramp, Van Morrison and Lynyrd Skynyrd (mine). After I discovered the Cure and the Clash there was less of a consensus, however. Mum unfortunately didn't see the 1970’s but I'm sure there would have been many musical meeting points had she done so. I often wonder how she'd have reacted to some of the more folksy Grateful Dead stuff, for example.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Beatles
George Harrison
Rolling Stones (60’s stuff)
Some classical
Mike Oldfield
David Bowie
Motown
Supertramp

My Dad’s still alive now, and myself and my siblings, unwittingly picked up the musIc bug from him. Will always be grateful for that, I love listening to music. Even if it diverged into later pop and dance music, which he loathed (“turn that down, now”).

Latterly, it means I can take part in the all brilliant NSC threads .... often hosted by HWT, AmexRuislip and Studio150.

Happy days. Far better for the soul than obsessing over politics.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When my dad died, I acquired all his vinyl. He had three types of music - romantic classical (Tchaikovsky, Brahms etc), big band (Glen Miller, Ted Heath etc) and old music-hall stuff. I dumped the first two lots but the music-hall stuff was great. I still like listening to Max Miller - what a sense of timing he had.

But given his likes, it's no wonder he couldn't get to grips with what I was playing

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My dad hated nearly everything I played "It doesnt have any lyrics" but he loved Blondie.

I wonder why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Parents listened to musicals, dad always came in when Gary Glitter or the Sweet were on TOTP and shook his head in dismay, mum once said Black Sabbath vol4 wasn't too bad, that's as good as it got

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
My late Mum was a huge Val Doonican fan. My Step-Father has a collection of Max Bygraves plus Bavarian style oompah music on CD & vinyl.

No. :(

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
both my parents have pretty good taste in music

from my mum I share:
-Motown
-The Jam/The Clash
-Jimmy Cliff
-Bruce Springsteen
-Tim Buckley

and a few others

from my dad I share

-Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and other great rock music
-Motown
-Some Blues and Country

feel pretty lucky and I'm really hoping I can share some of my music passions to my son

theboybilly

I was doing a battlefield tour 15 years ago and ended up in a bar in Albert on the Somme. The jukebox there had loads of Johnny Halliday records on it...and Edith Piaf still would you believe.
Back on topic I still love listening to Nat King Cole...to me it's like a musical 'hug'. I so miss those days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here