Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music you still like that your parents liked, to your astonishment

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dad was very old school. He like Al Jolson, a bit of Vaughan Williams, er.....that's it.

And of course he mocked my musical taste from day 1. The Beach Boys, The Temptations, Procul Harem, Jethro Tull.....and all other 'long haired weirdo thump thump thump' (I wasn't always a European synthi pop darkwave gloom shoegaze acolyte).

So I was amazed when he wandered into the front room one evening and sat through four sides of my latest purchase, looking thoughtful, eventually getting up after the last tinkle of tune faded with the comment 'That's pretty decent'.

I'll leave you in suspense for 30 minutes while you guess what this LP was (a pint in the concourse goes to anyone who guesses correctly), and in the meantime, please post your own examples of unlikely records that your parents inexplicably said 'yeah, that's pretty decent' about, and left you WTFing in slack-jawed astonishment.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My dad was very old school. He like Al Jolson, a bit of Vaughan Williams, er.....that's it.

And of course he mocked my musical taste from day 1. The Beach Boys, The Temptations, Procul Harem, Jethro Tull.....and all other 'long haired weirdo thump thump thump' (I wasn't always a European synthi pop darkwave gloom shoegaze acolyte).

So I was amazed when he wandered into the front room one evening and sat through four sides of my latest purchase, looking thoughtful, eventually getting up after the last tinkle of tune faded with the comment 'That's pretty decent'.

I'll leave you in suspense for 30 minutes while you guess what this LP was (a pint in the concourse goes to anyone who guesses correctly), and in the meantime, please post your own examples of unlikely records that your parents inexplicably said 'yeah, that's pretty decent' about, and left you WTFing in slack-jawed astonishment.

She Past Away :shrug:

Leftover Cuties, gets a :thumbsup: from my dad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She Past Away :shrug:

Leftover Cuties, gets a :thumbsup: from my dad.

No! My dad died in 87. 'She past away' have only been going a few years.

Top shout from Amexruislip senior.

BTW, what is your new avatar? It looks like something from a refridgerator factory that has been recycled as a strage device for use in an allotment. Or part of a caravan.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No! My dad died in 87. 'She past away' have only been going a few years
Apologies Mike :blush:

BTW, what is your new avatar? It looks like something from a refridgerator factory that has been recycled as a strage device for use in an allotment. Or part of a caravan.

RAF Phantom being refuelled in mid air over the Falklands 1992, I was tethered in the back of the Hercules on a jolly flight :)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Val Doonican

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies Mike :blush:

RAF Phantom being refuelled in mid air over the Falklands 1992, I was tethered in the back of the Hercules on a jolly flight :)

No worries mate!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had the same experience a few times with my dad.

The first time was with The Doors first album, the second time - rather amazingly - was Henry Cow

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are we up to 30 minutes? I'll give it a few more.

Whoever said 'Val Doonican' can Doo one. Pillock :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
None.

My father liked opera and classical music played loudly, and my mother liked Christmas carols (played all the year round) and hymns, there was no middle ground at all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had the same experience a few times with my dad.

The first time was with The Doors first album, the second time - rather amazingly - was Henry Cow

Brilliant! Henry Cow came up on my iPOD in the car today. The olds (I guess yours and mine are similar aged as we are similar aged) were an odd lot, especially those who lived through the war*. Unfortunately my dad didn't engage actively with the new - a mistake I'm not intending to repeat.

*And in [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]'s case it was probably the Boer war! (I can claim only a grandparent who endangered himself in that one).

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Beatles / 10cc / Billy Joel / Fleetwood Mac / Eagles / Queen - when I was really young...all great greatest hits albums we had on CD. then by my early teens my dads music when south, when he got into Simply Red and the Lighthouse family I lost all respect. Late teens loved indie music of my time but also found a love of old Motown and bands like the Jam.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK here is my album. This (if I have pasted correctly) is the showcase track. Brings a small tear to the eye to hear this, for Rory and for my dad, with whom I never saw eye to eye, except on this occasion, back in 75, perhaps. So come on folks, do you have a similar surprising shared bit of music with the olds?

Edit from 5 mins contains some of the most mind bending virtuosity on vinyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhih0IZHYNs&list=PLDDAYQXk_M64PuzcFv1ujnUL1LmiVlJ0_&index=7

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here