Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Johnson or Hunt?

Who would you vote for as next leader of the Tory party and Prime Minister?

• Boris Johnson

Votes: 86 41.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 123 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I live in the North East - an area, generally speaking, where a lot of the population are at the polar opposite end of the scale to Boris is virtually every way it is possible to be. And yet, if you speak to a people around here, he commands more positive sentiment than Corbyn does. It's really quite odd.
It just shows you the extent to which Brexiteers are pissed off about still being in the EU. I was pretty stunned when the referendum results started coming in and saw that Sunderland, whose economy relies heavily on Nissan, had voted to leave.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's not different, it's how politics in this country works. We don't have an automatic GE when a leader changes, even if they are the leader of the ruling party. Always has been the case as far back as I know, and all sides play by the same code on this.

It's slightly odd how irate people get about it, but especially odd when people criticise a particular party for it, ignoring that they are the rules, and every party does the same.

Plus nobody ran against Brown so no election.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's not different, it's how politics in this country works. We don't have an automatic GE when a leader changes, even if they are the leader of the ruling party. Always has been the case as far back as I know, and all sides play by the same code on this.

It's slightly odd how irate people get about it, but especially odd when people criticise a particular party for it, ignoring that they are the rules, and every party does the same.

Exactly like Boris Johnson did in 2007.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes it is. Get your FACTS straight. You, or anybody else, do NOT vote for a Prime Minister, you vote for someone to be a local MP. Numbers of MPs added up etc etc and you get a Government, who is the leader of that entity in the future is entirely immaterial at the point you place you vote into the ballot box. Do you get it yet?

Stop shouting. Calm down. Go outside and breathe the air.

D

Deleted member 2719

So many snowflakes melting today and it has feck all to do with the hot temperature.

Look out Barrier, Boris is coming for you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So many snowflakes melting today and it has feck all to do with the hot temperature.

Look out Barrier, Boris is coming for you.

The EU must be quaking in it's boots at the sight of one of the thickest men in political history stumbling into the room.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yes it is. Get your FACTS straight. You, or anybody else, do NOT vote for a Prime Minister, you vote for someone to be a local MP. Numbers of MPs added up etc etc and you get a Government, who is the leader of that entity in the future is entirely immaterial at the point you place you vote into the ballot box. Do you get it yet?

That's how our government is formed. It's not a democracy.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They voted for him because the alternative is Jeremy Hunt.
The Conservatives just about remained in power, because the alternative was to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.
Trump managed to get in because so much of America can't stand, and don't trust Hiliary Clinton.

Whenever you have a poor, weak, ineffective Government, part of the problem is going to be the state of Parliament as a whole, and who they were up against when people last voted.

I've never known anything quite like it.

NOT being Jeremy Hunt is obviously a massive plus - not just for Boris, but for any functioning human being on the planet. And yes, thats a big factor in him being elected.

But so many people seem to be oddly starstruck by him. His "lovable bumbling buffoon" schtick seemingly carried a lot of weight with Tory voters. I've seen them on the news time and again, singing his praises about how he'll "get things done". He's somehow charmed his way into office, and I am at a complete loss how anyone can look at this bloke and actually take him seriously, or think him in any way suitable for No10. He can barely open his gob without ramming his foot in it (just ask Nazanin Ratcliffe, currently chained to a bed in a Tehranian hellhole thanks largely to his efforts).

If its a 'protest vote' against the other one getting in (a-la Trump vs Hillary) then its going to be a hugely damaging one for the country. But actually, I think Johnson's eccentricities just appeal to a lot of toffs, who have gone and voted accordingly. Like you, I've never seen the like.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Right. Hand on heart, who 12 months ago would have thought that our great nation would be run by Boris Johnson.

Seriously!

Maybe with all the chaos of brexit and Iran and our relationship with the facist right in America we deserve this!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No one has been asked to vote Tory (in a meaningful election) for a while, but every suggestion is they'd still beat the Corbyn shitshow.

Yup, EVERY Suggestion, apart from the last opinion poll of course.

Opinium

The fieldwork for this poll was conducted on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of July 2019 and sampled 2002 UK adults.

Labour: 25% (-1)

Conservative: 23% (+3)

Brexit Party: 22% (-1)

Liberal Democrats: 15% (-1)

Green: 8% (+2)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I struggle to believe that there are more leavers than remainers in the country now.

I don't know of anyone that supported remain who now wants to leave, but you hear the reverse all the time.

The gap's closed again recently, but the long term polling does suggest that Remain is the majority opinion (https://www.politico.eu/2019-european-elections/united-kingdom/#93494). The gap was as high as 10% in May this year, but narrowed to 5% right before the EU elections (I think, to be expected). Only a couple of polls since then, so it's remained (excuse the pun) at 5% since then (one poll slightly narrowed than that, most recent poll wider). Definite long term trend towards Remain overall. But, until it gets tested in a national vote, we simply won't know - the polling is still close enough that error margins could be hiding the truth (as they so often have in the last decade in the UK).

No one has been asked to vote Tory (in a meaningful election) for a while, but every suggestion is they'd still beat the Corbyn shitshow.

Latest polling average has the Tories and Labour neck-and-neck on 25% and 24%. Brexit Party and Lib Dems likewise neck-and-neck on 19% and 18%. Labour's generally been ahead of the Tories since April, however it's closed up now as the Tories have regained some support from the Brexit Party. I'd hazard a guess they'll gain some more back now that Boris will be PM, but may lose some others (most likely to the Lib Dems) for the same reason. Will be interesting to see what the balance is.

Lib Dems have, so far this year, actually done better on election day than they've been polling pre-election. The opposite has happened for the Brexit Party - their support softened on election day (yes, they had a very successful EU election day, but it wasn't as strong as pre-polling suggested it might be).

A lot hinges on how Boris handles everything from here. I can see a General Election before the end of the year. If that happens, and if current polling holds, then we *will not* have a majority government of any colour. What's more likely is that we get a pro-Remain "government" that crosses party lines in defiance of party leadership that stays just long enough to see a 2nd Ref held and enforced before dissolving for yet another GE. All depends on how many seats the Lib Dems can muster, how strongly Corbyn can stomach campaigning pro-Ref, and how the vote splits between Tory and Brexit Party. A split pro-Brexit vote should produce a pro-Remain coalition of some sort, given that we're already seeing a willingness from the explicitly pro-Remain parties to cooperate (see Greens and Plaid Cymru stepping aside to make it easier for the Lib Dems for the Brecon byelection).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its especially odd given this isn't unusual, no surprise first time experience. May, Brown, Major, Callaghan, Douglas-Home (not even an MP) and Macmillan took the hot seat without a general election.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here