Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Johnson or Hunt?

Who would you vote for as next leader of the Tory party and Prime Minister?

• Boris Johnson

Votes: 86 41.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 123 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There is no substance to anything he ever says. He's an overgrown public school boy that half of his own party don't even trust.

How about you stop overestimating him?

I'm genuinely not sure it is possible to underestimate Boris Johnson's capabilities.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
IMG_20190723_141622.jpg

So will Boris stand by his words and let the people decide

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/23/bori...ll-divide-britain-like-never-before-10445371/

We are living in uncertain, even dangerous, times. Our country is deeply divided over Brexit, we face a looming crisis with Iran in the Gulf, millions are struggling economically, and the climate emergency is growing rapidly worse. We need a leader of courage and integrity, who has a vision for our future, and who will tackle these problems in a way that unites us. Instead, we have Boris Johnson. Plenty of words have been written about Johnson’s unsuitability for high office, in fact for any office. Politicians will always face criticism from their opponents – it goes with the job. But what is deeply worrying about Boris Johnson is that the most trenchant and piercing criticism comes from his own side. ‘Contempt for rules … cowardice … and a weak character’, ‘a circus act’, and a politician who ‘misled the country’. These are the judgements of those who’ve worked with Boris Johnson – one of them even comes from John Major, a former Conservative prime minister. Words have been matched with actions too: in the past few days, experienced Conservative ministers have been rushing for the exit to distance themselves from his premiership.

His lying is legendary (he’s been sacked twice for it). Other people might have learned from this experience: not Boris Johnson, a man who will never let the facts stand in the way of a bit of showmanship or self-glorification. We saw it again last week, with his ridiculous wielding of some vacuum-packed kippers to (falsely) bash Brussels over a non-existent EU regulation.

His habit of disguising his deceit with a few choice phrases, occasionally delivered in Latin or ancient Greek, may play to the gallery of fellow old-Etonians and adoring Conservative party members, but it will do nothing to restore trust in government. Voters are already deeply cynical about politicians and governments making grand policy announcements which they then fail to deliver on. The issue with a Boris Johnson government will not be whether policies will be delivered, but whether they can even be believed. His character failings are bad enough, his policies are no better.

He has already committed to taking the UK out of the European Union by 31 October, regardless of the consequences of a no-deal and in spite of the warnings of organisations from the Bank of England to car manufacturers, drug companies, farmers, the Confederation of British Industry and union the TUC that such a move would be catastrophic for Britain. He’s also promised tax cuts which will only make inequality worse. His vague promises of more money for policing and schools have led one departing minister, David Gauke, to wish ‘good luck’ to whoever becomes his chancellor. Boris Johnson’s supporters point to his record as London mayor when, they say, he surrounded himself with capable people who delivered on his policies. These were the policies which wasted nearly a billion pounds of taxpayers’ money on vanity projects like a new airport in the Thames estuary, (promoted by him in spite of almost universal opposition), the Garden Bridge, and water cannon for London’s police which were not even licensed for use in the UK and had to be sold off for a fraction of their cost price.

If he can waste this amount of public money as mayor of London, I shudder to think what the impact of his premiership will be. They say you can judge a man by his friends so it’s no surprise that Boris Johnson has conducted an international ‘love-in’ with Donald Trump who says his friend will do a great job as prime minister and the US and UK would have a very good relationship.

The special relationship with the US has been heralded in Britain for decades. With Boris Johnson in Downing Street, we have an idea of what it will look like: the UK government as Donald Trump’s poodle, doing the White House bidding whether on Iran or by potentially opening up our NHS to American drug companies as part of a trade deal. Boris Johnson has spent his political career in showmanship, theatrics and clever put-downs.

He’s a pompous clown who has embarrassed Britain on the world stage. The Conservative party has now handed him the keys to Number 10. Let us hope the joke is on them, and not on the rest of us.

Come on Caroline, get off the fence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes it is. Get your FACTS straight. You, or anybody else, do NOT vote for a Prime Minister, you vote for someone to be a local MP. Numbers of MPs added up etc etc and you get a Government, who is the leader of that entity in the future is entirely immaterial at the point you place you vote into the ballot box. Do you get it yet?

Ffs. You are so missing the point....which is British democracy is broken. Do you not see this?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm genuinely not sure it is possible to underestimate Boris Johnson's capabilities.

One of his first jobs will be to tip toe his way through this Iranian crisis ..... mmm Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe (cough)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hopefully the EU will now step in and save the U.K. from itself. :lolol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So of all the things I could choose to have a pop at this total clown, I will choose 1 for now.
The grass root members of this car crash of a government, which is rife with Islamaphobia, have, by quite some distance, voted in and supporting a man who actually said that Muslim women look like post boxes and bank robbers.
For that reason alone, as I have a total abhorrence to racism, this is politically a very very sad day for this country.
I could have mentioned at least 10 other reasons but this is the final straw.
And it's no good going on about anti semitism either, equally as bad but Corbyn is not Prime Minister.
The fact that racially, this country is going backwards after so many forward steps, is a cause of a great deal of sadness to me.
We have a racist Prime Minister, never thought I would see it, and Trump over in the US as well.
Today is a very dark day for the UK.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So of all the things I could choose to have a pop at this total clown, I will choose 1 for now.
The grass root members of this car crash of a government, which is rife with Islamaphobia, have, by quite some distance, voted in and supporting a man who actually said that Muslim women look like post boxes and bank robbers.
For that reason alone, as I have a total abhorrence to racism, this is politically a very very sad day for this country.
I could have mentioned at least 10 other reasons but this is the final straw.
And it's no good going on about anti semitism either, equally as bad but Corbyn is not Prime Minister.
The fact that racially, this country is going backwards after so many forward steps, is a cause of a great deal of sadness to me.
We have a racist Prime Minister, never thought I would see it, and Trump over in the US as well.
Today is a very dark day for the UK.

bcv.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here