Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jack Grealish has played 34 Premier League appearances for Villa. During that time, he was a regular for Villa over 2 seasons, scored 1 goal, and they finished 17th and then 20th.

Now I'm not saying Grealish is a bad player, but how is that any better than Dale Stephens who was instrumental in back to back top 3 Championship finishes (something Grealish hasn't done in a very expensively assembled squad) before certain no-nothings on here wrote him off last season as unable to pass forwards?

Villa have been an all-round shambles for several years now though, he can't do it all on his own. They weren't even that great last season, only fluking up through the playoffs.

I would have Grealish over Stephens in a heartbeat. Dynamic, creative, aggressive going forward, has an eye for goal. Had Villa failed to go up this year he'd probably have ended up somewhere like Spurs this season, he's far too good for Villa.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Villa have been an all-round shambles for several years now though, he can't do it all on his own. They weren't even that great last season, only fluking up through the playoffs.

I would have Grealish over Stephens in a heartbeat. Dynamic, creative, aggressive going forward, has an eye for goal. Had Villa failed to go up this year he'd probably have ended up somewhere like Spurs this season, he's far too good for Villa.
I'm not saying Grealish is anything other than a good player, but I can't say I'd take Grealish over Stephens until I've seen how well Grealish adaps to life in the top division. And excusing midfield Grealish's averageness two years ago on the basis that the players around him weren't good enough doesn't seem to hold much sway for many here when we talk about Davy Propper, who plays regularly for one of the best international teams in Europes.

So to recap my position, I want to see a how Grealish fares in the Premier League before deciding I'd take him over any of our players.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
And the key point you're missing is that he is totally unproven in the Premier league if we are going to write off his 2 seasons there as a youngster.

Who said about writing off two seasons he already had? If anything that will put him in good shape for this season. He was a kid in a shit side that went down. He has come on hugely in the last couple of years. He would walk into most Premier league sides now.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm not saying Grealish is anything other than a good player, but I can't say I'd take Grealish over Stephens until I've seen how well Grealish adaps to life in the top division. And excusing midfield Grealish's averageness two years ago on the basis that the players around him weren't good enough doesn't seem to hold much sway for many here when we talk about Davy Propper, who plays regularly for one of the best international teams in Europes.

So to recap my position, I want to see a how Grealish fares in the Premier League before deciding I'd take him over any of our players.
Think about 90% of people on here would swap Stephens for Grealish in a heartbeat.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I wouldn't but I would take Grealish in addition. The game-changer in both matches in 2016/17

This is exactly why will struggle in the Premier league when you have a ponderous player like Stephens in the squad.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I dont get the envy around Villa, scatter gun recruitment because they knew they were not good enough to stay up. Big gamble and I dont think it will work in the cock pit that is the Premier League.
20mil for Mings the best thing about him is his name and how many games does a name win?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nothing to do with wingers that don't wing and a centre forward eligible for a free TV Licence?

Our wingers i feel won't be to bad under Potter. Will probably attack more with purpose. Midfield players like Stephens and Kayal really should have been moved on. Even Gross divides people but i like him despite being slower than Murray(well nearly) Hopefully Propper can player like he does for Holland.
I feel our midfielders is our weak point.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Think about 90% of people on here would swap Stephens for Grealish in a heartbeat.

Comparing Grealish to Stephens is like comparing Ryan with Abraham. Different styles of players in different positions. Imagine Grealish being our midfield anchor, we would 100% get relegated if we did that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our wingers i feel won't be to bad under Potter. Will probably attack more with purpose. Midfield players like Stephens and Kayal really should have been moved on. Even Gross divides people but i like him despite being slower than Murray(well nearly) Hopefully Propper can player like he does for Holland.
I feel our midfielders is our weak point.

ACM is definitely the main weakness. Our entire CM has zero pace at PL level (bar Bissouma who’s very much a work in progress). PL stats don’t lie, we don’t create.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Comparing Grealish to Stephens is like comparing Ryan with Abraham. Different styles of players in different positions. Imagine Grealish being our midfield anchor, we would 100% get relegated if we did that.

To be honest I’m sure Grealish would do a better job in that role than Stephens though anyway. Grealish is a totally different level of player to Stephens, they’re not really comparable.

There are reasons why he’s been linked with £30/40/50 million moves to top 6 clubs. The issue with Grealish a couple of years ago was attitude, even though he still looked an excellent young player then but he has matured aswell now. He’s a proper talent. I can only assume those saying they would take Stephens over him have not watched Grealish play much.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here