Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's wrong with the Metropole !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
A bit of a rant so I apologise in advance.

I took some friends out for lunch today & thought the live jazz lunch might be nice. Big mistake. The jazz band were good, however the food was poor and the choice very restricted. As shocking was the standard of staff they employ in the restaurant. Utterly clueless about even basic requirements.

Never again, 3 star canteen food and even worse unmotivated clueless staff.

At just under £25 a head I expect better than wetherspoons type food.

Next time I'll stick with a decent gastropub for Sunday lunch like the Ginger fox.

First world problems, I know

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I took some friends out for lunch today & thought the live jazz lunch might be nice. Big mistake. The jazz band were good, however the food was poor and the choice very restricted. As shocking was the standard of staff they employ in the restaurant. Utterly clueless about even basic requirements.

Next time I'll stick with a decent gastropub for Sunday lunch like the Ginger fox.

Or, if you are tempted to drive out into the countryside, The Crabtree at Lower Beeding just down the road from me. I lunched there today with friends, brilliant food and service.

When it comes to the waiting staff at the Metropole, you will probably see them again in the catering kiosks at the Amex once the season gets underway.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire

I took some friends out for lunch today & thought the live jazz lunch might be nice.

That was your first mistake there. Those two words will never belong in the same sentence - unless you're watching The Fast Show.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
When I was a hard-up student (1979-ish) I used to turn up at the door early in the morning to queue with a load of other down and outs, they would give a days work to the least rank looking unfortunates, you can imagine.

Put me off hotels for life, certainly eating in them!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We did Sunday roast there a few years ago and it was really good. When we returned a few months ago it was poor. Usual thing with restaurants these days, get people interested and then disappoint.
I think restaurant overheads these days has made their business models inoperable. A restaurant or cafe would be the last thing I would invest in - just look at the turnover in Brighton and Hove.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
All the good staff have returned to their countries before Brexit kicks in. Sorry, they only have the English ones left for catering and service.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Green Man in Ringmer is by far the best pub food. The Cock Inn in Lewes is also very good

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
A friend of mine is an absolutely incredible pastry chef. He got a job there, lasted about three weeks as he couldn't cope with the corners they would cut. Telling him to use margarine instead of butter was the last straw for him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

At just under £25 a head I expect better than wetherspoons type food.

First world problems, I know ��

Were they all foreign..if so soon they can a feck off home and be replaced by all these brits waiting to take their places. It will be fabulous and service will improve when a hard working scouser serves you your caviar and chips.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s never been better than an average, impersonal hotel. with bland rooms.

Some good memories of watching England tournament wins in the bar though, with 100’s of others.

I really like The Grand, we had their amazing afternoon tea last December for a family birthday, in their cozy lounge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here