Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It says Thameslink on the side
    I've got on Southern services that have Thameslink and Gatwick Express trains, as well as Thameslink services that use Southern trains.

The indicator board is a better guide

And I think London Terminals includes Blackfriars ... but not City TL, Farringdon or St P
    Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      The board at the station will tell you anyway......
      And the on-train announcements: 'Welcome aboard the <train company name> service to <destination name> calling at <station names en route>'

And in anticipation of OP's next question: 'How will I know I'm on a train?' It's that big thing on tracks with multiple carriages that keeps apologising for being late
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      I think you'll be fine considering there are no guards on Thameslink anyway, when at Blackfriars, hold the ticket up and follow people using the disabled gate, with the caveat that this runs the risk of meeting a jobsworth.

To be 100pc covered, tube across from Vic is a few stops on circle/district line and your return ticket is valid for a direct train back from blackfriars to brighton/preston park.
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by goldstoneseagull View Post
      I think you'll be fine considering there are no guards on Thameslink anyway, when at Blackfriars, hold the ticket up and follow people using the disabled gate, with the caveat that this runs the risk of meeting a jobsworth
      Is the 'disabled gate' an actual thing? Is it a different thing from the gate manned by humans for tickets that don't work in the automatic barriers for whatever reason? Which is loads of tickets.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      Is the 'disabled gate' an actual thing? Is it a different thing from the gate manned by humans for tickets that don't work in the automatic barriers for whatever reason? Which is loads of tickets.
      The double-width gates.........for wheelchairs, luggage etc. The staff often stand by a normal gate pinging people through. Your ticket can be used normally on the wider gates anyway.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      I meant the gate manned by humans for tickets that done go through the automatic barriers, I assumed it was also used for persons who are disabled too.
      Jacob Schilt(pic:SebDaly) Nottseagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garage_Doors View Post

The outward ticket clearly states Victoria so have to go there and get the tube across, but the return says London terminals so do I assume correctly I can get a train back for Blackfriars?
      Also Iím due to get a before 9am train, does the ďanytime day sĒ cover this?
      Attachment 113206
      No, you can only get a train back for Brighton
      Strange how people just seem to accept the prices. Nobody's questioned why the off-peak single is dearer than the anytime one! I expect the OP must have had an odd single ticket to use up because surely a day trip to London doesn't cost £56.80 even at peak times?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nottseagull View Post
      No, you can only get a train back for Brighton
      Strange how people just seem to accept the prices. Nobody's questioned why the off-peak single is dearer than the anytime one! I expect the OP must have had an odd single ticket to use up because surely a day trip to London doesn't cost £56.80 even at peak times?
      Almost - £53.50 Brighton/London terminals, £43.50 Thameslink only (that's without travelcards). Us commuters get royally screwed.

Good point though, OP should have just got a simple anytime day return to 'London Terminals' even without knowing a TL only return to Blackfriars was the best option.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Originally the Swankers Garage_Doors's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I did not book the tickets, as i'm not a "habitual train user" the other party offered to book them for me, this they did and had them sent down to me.
      I didn't even know until yesterday that you could get a train direct from Brighton to Blackfriars, i'd always believed it was just Victoria or London Bridge.
      Somewhat strange i know especially as i spent a good 10 years working in and around London buy always drove up, but this was back in the 80/90's.
      God Save The Queen
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Was it not much simpler in the 'good old days' when you arrived at the station and bought a day return to wherever.. I haven't used a train other than home from The Amex for about 40 + years.