Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Railways Going to Victoria but want to go to Blackfriars

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was it not much simpler in the 'good old days' when you arrived at the station and bought a day return to wherever.. I haven't used a train other than home from The Amex for about 40 + years.

You can still do that

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But if you do you pay full whack for the priviledge.

I don’t think thats true though is it? Like if I look now at tickets to London for the next 7 days it’s not discounted

I should add, yes for London to Manchester, 3 months out you will.

But Brighton to London I don’t think it matters

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I don’t think thats true though is it? Like if I look now at tickets to London for the next 7 days it’s not discounted

I should add, yes for London to Manchester, 3 months out you will.

But Brighton to London I don’t think it matters

You can get a single ticket to london for as little as £5 if you book in advance. However you will have to travel on a specific train.

A lot of tickets like off peak or anytime travelcard ticket to london tend to be a set price no matter what time you pay. I also think you arent trying hard enough if you cant see a discounted ticket 7 days before.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I probably mentioned this before but I’m not a train person :wink:

I have a meeting in London tomorrow near Blackfriars and have tickets bought for me to Victoria.
I didn’t know you could get a train direct to Blackfriars from Brighton until someone told me yesterday.

The outward ticket clearly states Victoria so have to go there and get the tube across, but the return says London terminals so do I assume correctly I can get a train back for Blackfriars?
Also I’m due to get a before 9am train, does the “anytime day s” cover this?
View attachment 113206

The route is any permitted the restrictions will be on the reverse that you can google. Your ticket may not work in the automated barriers but as others have said head for the luggage/disabled one and they will just let you through.

Whoever booked 2 singles I dont know what they were thinking an anytime return would have been cheaper at £43.20 even an anytime travelcard is cheaper than those two tickets. Thats looking at trainline who charge a commission because I am too lazy at this time to look at the individual train sites.

Edit to add yes your anytime covers your morning travel and you can return from any london terminal.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Wouldn’t a fast train to Victoria then tube to blackfriars be quicker than thameslink anyway.

If the ticket says to Victoria then it’s to Victoria only. Wouldn’t work at blackfriars gates I wouldn’t have thought.

London terminals would mean Victoria or London bridge for this route I would think, be surprised if blackfriars would be considered a terminal on this route.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wouldn’t a fast train to Victoria then tube to blackfriars be quicker than thameslink anyway.

If the ticket says to Victoria then it’s to Victoria only. Wouldn’t work at blackfriars gates I wouldn’t have thought.

London terminals would mean Victoria or London bridge for this route I would think, be surprised if blackfriars would be considered a terminal on this route.

No - direct to Blackfriars is much quicker. Also, Blackfriars is definitely included in ‘London terminals’ - ticket is valid as far North as Farringdon on the Brighton line.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
And the on-train announcements: 'Welcome aboard the <train company name> service to <destination name> calling at <station names en route>'

And in anticipation of OP's next question: 'How will I know I'm on a train?' It's that big thing on tracks with multiple carriages that keeps apologising for being late :dunce:

You’ve been watching too much Thomas, as clearly trains don’t talk!

(Waits for barrage of examples where they do)...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For future reference, if you ask the ticket person for the cheapest ticket they are bound by law to sell it but they often don't know which is the cheapest (and it may vary during the day).

Down my way I can buy an ordinary return, a first class return, a first class return that includes 'hi speed' (to KKStP), or a regular hi speed. There is no first class on hi speed. Now guess which ticket is the most expensive.....

Turns out it is the first class (without the hi speed add on). Has been that way for at least 3 years but the ticketing people and the station staff have no lines of communication to enact a fix.

If I want to travel 'non hi speed', off peak starts at 9.00 am, and there is an even better ticket called 'super off peak' that starts at 10.00. If I want to travel on hi speed there is only 'off peak' and this is any train that arrives in London after 10.00 am. Who knew?

I have a senior railcard (costs me £30 a year) that gives me discounts. But....not during rush hour. Rush hour differs depending on whether I am travelling to Victoria/Blackfriars or on the hi speed.

If I play my cards right I can get a first class return for £18.00. Great deal, but coming back from London I have to get on the train at least 10 minutes before departure or all the first class seats will get taken by noisy smelly oiks.

Which is why I tend to work from home whenever I can.

The bottom line is that it is best to buy your ticket online, if possible, and as long in advance as possible.

There is no charge for this valuable information.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
For future reference, if you ask the ticket person for the cheapest ticket they are bound by law to sell it but they often don't know which is the cheapest (and it may vary during the day).

Down my way I can buy an ordinary return, a first class return, a first class return that includes 'hi speed' (to KKStP), or a regular hi speed. There is no first class on hi speed. Now guess which ticket is the most expensive.....

Turns out it is the first class (without the hi speed add on). Has been that way for at least 3 years but the ticketing people and the station staff have no lines of communication to enact a fix.

If I want to travel 'non hi speed', off peak starts at 9.00 am, and there is an even better ticket called 'super off peak' that starts at 10.00. If I want to travel on hi speed there is only 'off peak' and this is any train that arrives in London after 10.00 am. Who knew?

I have a senior railcard (costs me £30 a year) that gives me discounts. But....not during rush hour. Rush hour differs depending on whether I am travelling to Victoria/Blackfriars or on the hi speed.

If I play my cards right I can get a first class return for £18.00. Great deal, but coming back from London I have to get on the train at least 10 minutes before departure or all the first class seats will get taken by noisy smelly oiks.

Which is why I tend to work from home whenever I can.

The bottom line is that it is best to buy your ticket online, if possible, and as long in advance as possible.

There is no charge for this valuable information.

Time to retire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here