Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham V Brighton And Hove Albion bigger boys 15.00 K.O The EBB Stadium

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Pre season results tell you nothing. Some of the pant wetting on this thread by our ‘fans’ is absolutely laughable. Just a glorified training session to get us tuned up for the current season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The late departed Andy Naylor (not for long) sums up to today's result best imo "first pre season defeat under Potter for what its worth - which is not much"

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
What ? because er, we're going to do some transfer window business in the last few weeks of the transfer window.
Blimey the entire premier league would be having a review.

Your missing my point. I’m simply suggesting we should be doing our business earlier.

Numerous Pl clubs have done just that.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Pre season results tell you nothing. Some of the pant wetting on this thread by our ‘fans’ is absolutely laughable. Just a glorified training session to get us tuned up for the current season.

This. Good season warm up. Hopefully a useful session for Potter and co.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I bet statistically you are wrong, and that a side with a good pre-season goes on to have a good start to the season. I’m not going to dig out the stats, but to say they tell you nothing is the most laughable part about your post. At the very least they will tell GP who his starting XI will be at Vicarage Road.

Confidence, belief, momentum can all be gained from pre-season. We know our squad’s confidence and self belief was on the floor in May, so they desperately need some games to build on.

No point getting upset about or panicking over, but you’d rather be winning and scoring goals, looking sharp than not.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I bet statistically you are wrong, and that a side with a good pre-season goes on to have a good start to the season. I’m not going to dig out the stats, but to say they tell you nothing is the most laughable part about your post. At the very least they will tell GP who his starting XI will be at Vicarage Road.

Confidence, belief, momentum can all be gained from pre-season. We know our squad’s confidence and self belief was on the floor in May, so they desperately need some games to build on.

No point getting upset about or panicking over, but you’d rather be winning and scoring goals, looking sharp than not.

It would certainly do wonders for Ali J is he scored a couple in pre-season.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Surely if Potter believed Andone and Ali J were the answer as people keep insisting he would have given them more than 30 minutes? In which case a massive 3 week recruitment to come or TB will staring down the barrel of losing one hell of a gamble this summer.

What’s this huge gamble you speak of?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What’s this huge gamble you speak of?

Just guessing but I suspect it's probably sacking the manager who took us up and kept us up twice, offloading our most productive winger for the last four seasons and relying on a bloke who contributed to 0 goals last season.

Could be wrong though...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It would certainly do wonders for Ali J is he scored a couple in pre-season.

Of course it would, and help his team mates believe in him. Nothing rides on these friendlies, but they are useful and necessary.

It’s funny when a player doesn’t hit the ground running and you will hear “oh, but he didn’t have a full pre-season”, and yet pre-season to some means nothing!?

The friendlies, the fitness training, everything else is massive building toward the start of a season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Just guessing but I suspect it's probably sacking the manager who took us up and kept us up twice, offloading our most productive winger for the last four seasons and relying on a bloke who contributed to 0 goals last season.

Could be wrong though...

PS: Knockaert wasn't our most productive winger in 2017/18.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It might be a good thing that Potter is seeing the flaws in the team and the squad. Watching training and Dvds of last season isn't the same as experiencing it for himself close up.

Perhaps he can put his finger on why Ali J tears it up in training (by all accounts) and never quite does the business when it counts. Birmingham and Valencia may tell him more.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Your missing my point. I’m simply suggesting we should be doing our business earlier.

Numerous Pl clubs have done just that.

It's not like Football Manager, we don't just sign players as and when we want. There may be numerous other transfers down the line we have to wait for in order to sign the one we want. Remember Ulloa? How long was that one in the works for? Teams won't just sell without having a backup and they'll want to sign a replacement, That's why you hear of numerous deals on deadline day fall through.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Could be wrong though...

Letting AK go could be part of a transfer plan further down the line. I’m not a great lover of letting go of your better attacking options but I’ll trust they have a back up plan. Some would also argue that keeping CH would have been a bigger gamble possibly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Could be wrong though...

Sacking your beloved Chris was the only decision Tony could make... the Knocky bit I agree with...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here