Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham V Brighton And Hove Albion bigger boys 15.00 K.O The EBB Stadium

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It might be a good thing that Potter is seeing the flaws in the team and the squad. Watching training and Dvds of last season isn't the same as experiencing it for himself close up.

Perhaps he can put his finger on why Ali J tears it up in training (by all accounts) and never quite does the business when it counts. Birmingham and Valencia may tell him more.

Re: Ali J....heard this a few times. There's a decent amount of truth in it then?
Thing is though, training is different to a game. My feeling is that he probably aces all the skills training- shooting etc, but just doesn't have the attributes to excel in a top level match situation...we shall see.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you sure? Izzy scored more goals but surely AK created more?

Nope, Izzy was 5 goals, 3 assists, Knocky 3 goals, 1 assist.

Over the 2 PL seasons Knocky has 5 goals and 7 assists, which does make him our most prolific PL winger.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Re: Ali J....heard this a few times. There's a decent amount of truth in it then?
Thing is though, training is different to a game. My feeling is that he probably aces all the skills training- shooting etc, but just doesn't have the attributes to excel in a top level match situation...we shall see.

His teammates aren't trying to kick him in training. Opponents aren't as gentle.

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Is there anyone who saw today's game who has anything positive to say?

I've just watched Shoreham in a pre season friendly, not a polished performance in every respect, but after much upheaval some positive performances and a good result.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I bet statistically you are wrong, and that a side with a good pre-season goes on to have a good start to the season. I’m not going to dig out the stats, but to say they tell you nothing is the most laughable part about your post. At the very least they will tell GP who his starting XI will be at Vicarage Road.

Confidence, belief, momentum can all be gained from pre-season. We know our squad’s confidence and self belief was on the floor in May, so they desperately need some games to build on.

No point getting upset about or panicking over, but you’d rather be winning and scoring goals, looking sharp than not.

Just going through our recent seasons;

The year we won L1 Under Poyet; we lost to Whitehawk & drew with Bognor
Hughtons first pre-season; we lost to Aberdeen & drew with Lewes
The year we got promoted to the Prem; We lost to Fulham, Stevenage & Luton.

I mean, last year we lost to Wimbledon and drew with St Gallen, Birmingham & Charlton. We were in the top half at Christmas so it’s hardly like we had a slow start to the season.

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Must admit I wasn't too chuffed to see us starting with what was virtually last year's first team, give or take. They seemed to do better than the later team though, after we'd brought on Kayal, Jahanbakhsh, Trossard and Andone - as many have been calling for. Hmmm.........

Ultimately just a training match, so not too much to get upset about. I don't know what it's told Potter, but I have absolutely no idea about how this season will pan out! I'm strangely calm about it - sort of curious, rather than highly excited or desperately worried.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just going through our recent seasons;

The year we won L1 Under Poyet; we lost to Whitehawk & drew with Bognor
Hughtons first pre-season; we lost to Aberdeen & drew with Lewes
The year we got promoted to the Prem; We lost to Fulham, Stevenage & Luton.

I mean, last year we lost to Wimbledon and drew with St Gallen, Birmingham & Charlton. We were in the top half at Christmas so it’s hardly like we had a slow start to the season.

:shrug:

Note I didn’t say a side having a poor pre-season can’t also have a good start to the season. I think you’ve concluded more from my generalization than was intended. :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely idiotic... you clearly don't have a ****ing clue why your beloved Chris was sacked... it will sink in soon...

[emoji23]
As usual resort to expletives....

At every opportunity you have had a pop at Hughton, I understand you don’t like him and are delighted he’s gone, but come on.... all Summer???

I’ll put you on ignore for a few months just to give myself a break from your nonsense posts.....

But enjoy Potterball, I’m sure it’ll be interesting if nothing else.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
[emoji23]

At every opportunity you have had a pop at Hughton, I understand you don’t like him and are delighted he’s gone, but come on.... all Summer???

I’ll put you on ignore for a few months just to give myself a break from your nonsense posts.....

:thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Of course it would, and help his team mates believe in him. Nothing rides on these friendlies, but they are useful and necessary.

It’s funny when a player doesn’t hit the ground running and you will hear “oh, but he didn’t have a full pre-season”, and yet pre-season to some means nothing!?

The friendlies, the fitness training, everything else is massive building toward the start of a season.

Building towards is right, we should not expect to see the finished article in what is only the second friendly fixture for the players involved today, under a new manager trying new things.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[emoji23]

Nail.On.Head. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Building towards is right, we should not expect to see the finished article in what is only the second friendly fixture for the players involved today, under a new manager trying new things.

No of course, I’ve really been countering the opinion they’re meaningless, rather than suggesting each result is decisive. I was rather hoping we’d hit the ground running with Potter, so that’s the disappointment so far, and no doubt the building to what he wants will go well into the season.

el punal

Pre season results tell you nothing. Some of the pant wetting on this thread by our ‘fans’ is absolutely laughable. Just a glorified training session to get us tuned up for the current season.

Well said. The knicker twisters in our midst should really take that on board. The result is meaningless. The game is really all about identifying what needs to be done for the future. As you say - just a glorified training session.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not bothered by the result in a friendly ..long as you aren’t beaten 10/0 ...more concerned by the lack of recruitment...middle of the park there isn’t any real competition for DS and Props (much as I like BK) ...Biss shows promise but we need more than that ....still need a full back and striker
The Belgian in and AK out..ignore the CB currently we’ve stood still ..Potters only human but currently I feel he’s being asked to perform miracles ...still 2/3 weeks to go before they can be bought and get integrated into the side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here