Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 50 Years Ago Today Man Landed On The Moon

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
First up, I thought James Burke was dead simply because he seems to have been ignored by the BBC, and yet he was the face and voice of the moon landings in the UK (along with Patrick Moore). The superb 8 Days to the Moon (BBC iplayer) had US hosts when it would have been easy to use Burke.
Then suddenly he pops up on BBC Breakfast for a short interview. His voice hasn't changed a bit.
I was 14 and stayed up all night to watch it on our colour TV, along with many neighbors.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I was six at the time and remember being allowed to stay up and watch the landing, and being woken up in the early hours of the morning to see the space walk.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The moonwalk was broadcast in the morning approximately breakfast time because we didn't have live transatlantic broadcasts then. We didn't even have daytime tv.

The landing was broadcast in sound only the previous evening.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
13 years old. My school was able to record and play back black-and-white TV on a giant piece of kit on wheels. This was the school's pride and joy as it was SO advanced! We all sat in the Chemistry lecture room to watch the recording.

I think we were the same - I was 11 and watched it at school, I’m sure I watched the landing and the first step so it must have been recorded

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
We had Patrick Moore and the BBC dark green 'Outside Broadcast' vans up our road in Patcham all that week. A guy called George Hole had built as huge telescope in his back garden and they were showing views of the moon from his telescope. Couldn't see the space capsule though.
I was working the summer before going away to university. Listened to launch at work in the week, watched the moon landing early on the Sunday evening, then went into town for a few pints. Came back, went to a friend's, waited for the moonwalk to start - which was an age. When they finally did it was about 4am. Then went home, got washed and then went to work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here