Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 50 Years Ago Today Man Landed On The Moon

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
I was 14, and remember watching it happen live on a television in our classroom at Moulsecoomb Secondary..

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was 9 and went to a friend's house on way home from school and watched it on TV
At the time I did not have full appreciation of the momentous achievement that this event held.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was too young, but remember the last Apollo’s returning, landing in the Pacific with a US Supercarrier waiting. Broadcast live on UK tv with the brilliant James Burke presenting.

An amazing achievement by NASA. At great cost, but the culmination of many clever minds and new technologies.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There will many on here who won’t share my enthusiasm but I truly hope we make the promised return in 2024, and it would be fantastic if at least one of the moon walkers/Orbiters are alive to see it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Loving all the documentaries old and new up on iPlayer and catchup, plus some excellent podcasts. Still incredible to think we were landing on the moon, one of the best cars you could buy was a Ford Capri, and home computers wouldn’t make an appearance for another 8 years.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was 10 and was at school in Sydney, where my dad was working. The landing took place in the afternoon so we sat in the school hall all day watching the blurry pictures on a small b&w TV. Remember it very clearly and we were all very excited as it seemed to herald a new future.

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
99 months old and was in the States at the time. My mother, with the German/American ancestry, was in Chicago visiting her sister and brother. I remember an old looking news reader who it turned out was the CBS News anchorman, Walter Kronkite.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
8 years old and was in the States at the time. My mother, with the German/American ancestry, was in Chicago visiting her sister and brother. I remember an old looking news reader who it turned out was the CBS News anchorman, Walter Kronkite.

WK was a true legend in broadcasting [emoji106]

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
WK was a true legend in broadcasting [emoji106]

I knew he was on the telly but at the time in 1969 I really didn't know his significance to the American public until I saw later video of WK reporting that President Kennedy had been assassinated in 1963.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just work out the gaps between the moon landings ,Lord Lucan disappearing then Diana dying and then the Twin Towers and you try telling me that that is a coincidence.

Third Rock coincidence,

Is it a coincidence that our world orbits the sun at just the right distance — not too hot, not too cold. This habitable zone is where water can exist in liquid form — a basic requirement for life. Nobody is bragging about their oceanfront property on Mars or the cool breeze on Venus.

The Moon: But be thankful for our great big beautiful satellite. Without the moon, you might not be here. Its gravitational tug creates tides (with the help of the sun), and one theory holds that life originated in tidal regions. Another suggests tides may have set up conditions for sea creatures to transition and become the first land animals.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was only 5 so I don't remember it at all

come to think of it,I don't remember the last one in 1972 was it?

but I do remember the Arsenal -Leeds Cup Final that year
even the Arsenal- Liverpool one the year before

I guess the Cup Final was more important than a moon landing
to a 7-8 year old football nut back then

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It was a few days before my 21st birthday and I was working in a pub.
Needless to say, there was a telly in the bar and all went quiet as we watched in complete awe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here