Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 50 Years Ago Today Man Landed On The Moon

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That's right, and they even thought about putting a 'Top Of The Pops' fish eye camera in the studio when showing the shots of the earth from the moon making it look round.
They thought it all through and millions of Muppets actually believed it happened.

It’s a miracle that there are at least a few Non “Muppets” like you to keep everything in check eh? What’s your view on the Indian and Japanese photos of the landing debris fields and moonscapes taken from their unmanned mission’s?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s a miracle that there are at least a few Non “Muppets” like you to keep everything in check eh? What’s your view on the Indian and Japanese photos of the landing debris fields and moonscapes taken from their unmanned mission’s?
Fake news.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

My view is that they should have been arrested for fly tipping.
If it was true, which it isn't.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was 4 months old. When they landed apparently I shat myself.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I was 14, and remember watching it happen live on a television in our classroom at Moulsecoomb Secondary..

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I thought that they actually landed at night on 20th and walked on the moon in the early hours of the 21st.
I was 16 and was sure we stayed up very late to watch it.

Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin formed the American crew that landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours 39 minutes later on July 21 at 02:56 UTC; Aldrin joined him 19 minutes later.
(02:56 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is
03:56 British Summer Time (BST))

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were driving to Spain from Germany and they landed on the moon just as we reached the Spanish border control. Staff were watching a tiny black and white tv in the control point and just waving everyone through. Normally they were really thorough and you could expect long delays, not that day or late evening as it was at the time. Remember it clearly as in an I remember where I was moment.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would have been 4. And I have about as much interest in it today as I did then.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was 3, nearly 4.

Have enjoyed all the programs that have been on this week, especially Chasing the Moon. My favourite quote was from one of the guys on Apollo 8 who said that all he wanted to do when they landed was go to the loo but had to go through all the welcome home stuff on the ship that picked them up. "That is my personal record. 3/4 of a million miles without having a crap".

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was 3, nearly 4.

Have enjoyed all the programs that have been on this week, especially Chasing the Moon. My favourite quote was from one of the guys on Apollo 8 who said that all he wanted to do when they landed was go to the loo but had to go through all the welcome home stuff on the ship that picked them up. "That is my personal record. 3/4 of a million miles without having a crap".

With my IBS in it's hard as coal stage at the moment I know how he felt.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I got up in the middle of the night to watch Armstrong step on the Moon. I was amazed that no-one else in my family wanted to watch it, I was conscious of history being made and was totally gripped.

When I got to school, most people I spoke to had got up to watch it - there were a few bleary eyes later that day.

A few months later, we got a physics teacher - a Kiwi called Mr Callum - who'd briefly worked at NASA: it made him some sort of super-hero in our eyes

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was four months shy of my thirteenth birthday. Still vividly remember being woken up at about 2am ish by my parents and my brother, sister, Mum,Dad and I sitting there watching the landing on a black and white TV. Fabulous to think I was in a small way part of it (ish).

TNBA

TTF

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
bleeding amazing isn’t it, 50 years ago with bugger all technology we got a man to the moon and back. 50 years on, sitting here in my kitchen and I can’t even get a bleeding mobile phone signal. So much for the advance of human capabilities

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We were driving to Spain from Germany and they landed on the moon just as we reached the Spanish border control. Staff were watching a tiny black and white tv in the control point and just waving everyone through. Normally they were really thorough and you could expect long delays, not that day or late evening as it was at the time. Remember it clearly as in an I remember where I was moment.

Love that

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If anyone is interested in a good box set then Try HBO’s From The Earth To The Moon, a complete docudrama from Mercury right up to Apollo 17.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here