Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A promise from me.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I still struggle with the death penalty - always seemed a bit harsh. But there is an argument for setting a threshold in all crim areas and if exceeded, whoosh! Think of the money we would save on prison B and B. And think of the reduction in reoffending reoffenders.

I also used to say, if someone did anything to anyone in my family, I would **** **** but I would also expect the state to stop me (ideally by arresting and sentencing the buggers first).

Finally, no, things aren't getting worse. They may be getting different, but not actually worse like there is a trajectory and soon we will all be rutting in our own faeces in the street (etc). That is no consolation to anyone on the wrong end of shitness, of course.

Agreed. Thieving was always rife (before the arrival of those fall guys .... immigrants).

I know you’re joking, but personally I think burglars for example should always be jailed.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I still struggle with the death penalty - always seemed a bit harsh. But there is an argument for setting a threshold in all crim areas and if exceeded, whoosh! Think of the money we would save on prison B and B. And think of the reduction in reoffending reoffenders.

Wouldn't be so sure on the B&B savings. In 2013 the average time an inmate spent on death row in the US was 15 years and 5 months. Which is a heck of a lot longer than the 6 month sentence we hand out for theft.

However, that said, a 15 year stretch of solitary confinement knowing that the only faces you're going to see for those years are guards and then the executioner does seem a fitting punishment for certain crimes. Cost be damned.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry but they are.

Aggressive attitudes everywhere
Lack of manners
Lack of decency
Having to install CCTV (so sorry [MENTION=11499]simmo[/MENTION]_SAYS)
This whole sense of entitlement without working/earning it

Growing up I don’t re all witnessing the above to anything like the extent we do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could easily give you back a list of how bad things were when I grew up on the 70s, but we shall simply have to beg to differ on this occasion. All the best.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There seems to be increasing occurrences of scum driving around in transit vans and stealing anything from people’s front gardens, that isn’t bolted down.

Been going on for a while. A nice child’s push chair stolen from by our front door in 2006 in broad daylight, our 2 year old saw it happen from a window! It was captured on neighbour’s CCTV ... a white ‘clearance’ van and 2 blokes.

Rolls of lead taken from a building site recently by the same scenario, when builders turned their blind eye .... registration and description of the 2 blokes given to police within a second, who said they can’t follow it up.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Take comfort that the perpetrator/s might have already had a nasty accident or some bad luck - I hope so

ah yes, Im sure their social worker already has the excuse template letter in hand ‘ BUT poor old (insert the name of the culprit turd) has had a tough upbringing, etc etc (insert what ever feeble non excuses you can think of) ... it’s not his/her fault and society should look at itself before condemning them ....’

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I also used to say, if someone did anything to anyone in my family, I would **** **** but I would also expect the state to stop me (ideally by arresting and sentencing the buggers first).

Finally, no, things aren't getting worse. They may be getting different, but not actually worse like there is a trajectory and soon we will all be rutting in our own faeces in the street (etc). That is no consolation to anyone on the wrong end of shitness, of course.

Capital punishment does seem a bit severe for stealing a tap Harry. The murder rate has actually dropped over the last 30 years. I do of course sympathise with Simmo but thieving toe rags have been around all my life.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I could easily give you back a list of how bad things were when I grew up on the 70s, but we shall simply have to beg to differ on this occasion. All the best.

Of course and there is always an element of selective memories as well (perhaps on my part).

The world just doesn’t feel a particularly nice place [emoji2][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My eighty five year old dad died three months ago - a good age.
To make my old mums life a bit easier [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] installed an outside tap on the front of her bungalow in Coldean a week ago.
It was fitted low down behind fence posts and set back twenty feet from the pavement, so not really visible.
A week later some scumbag has nicked it (no jokes please)
The tap cost a fiver-easily replaceable and cheap because [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] doesn't charge me :smile:
The problem now is my family and my mum know someone has been on her property and possibly watching us.
Ironically we had cameras installed inside the bungalow and one on her back garden to keep an eye on her.
We will now install a camera covering the front and remove the tap each evening - a pain in the arse.
Not a day goes by without my mum getting scammer phone calls and various odd people coming to the door.
Luckily this year I have been around more often than normal and sent them on their way.

I promise if I catch the turd that did this his family will wonder why they haven't seen him for a while.

I'm sorry to hear about this Steve.
You're not alone, there are quite a few turds about, who prey on vulnerable people, who only know how to be kind and accepting.
The world has changed.
What I would say, is that when you do catch them, is to wear that old trench coat of yours and don't forget to put your trousers on :wink:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
For someone who is generally of a tolerant, soft 'liberal' persuasion I do believe we are far too tolerant on crime and that a radical change is required.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
To make my old mums life a bit easier [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] installed an outside tap on the front of her bungalow in Coldean a week ago.
It was fitted low down behind fence posts and set back twenty feet from the pavement, so not really visible.
The tap cost a fiver-easily replaceable and cheap because [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] doesn't charge me :smile:
The problem now is my family and my mum know someone has been on her property and possibly watching us.
Ironically we had cameras installed inside the bungalow and one on her back garden to keep an eye on her.
We will now install a camera covering the front and remove the tap each evening - a pain in the arse.
Not a day goes by without my mum getting scammer phone calls and various odd people coming to the door.
Luckily this year I have been around more often than normal and sent them on their way.

I promise if I catch the turd that did this his family will wonder why they haven't seen him for a while.

Hello mate, hope you are ok.
Sorry to hear about all this, far too many horrible people about these days ( I could use stronger words, and I'm thinking them )
I don't know much about security systems but a friend of mine has a camera in his door bell that links to his phone, you definitely need some sort of CCTV covering the front door.

Did they steal the tap when the water was live? Obviously I know you WD being a decent plumber has installed some sort of isolation valve on the inside of the home.
If the water was live hopefully the thief got a good soaking.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hello mate, hope you are ok.
Sorry to hear about all this, far too many horrible people about these days ( I could use stronger words, and I'm thinking them )
I don't know much about security systems but a friend of mine has a camera in his door bell that links to his phone, you definitely need some sort of CCTV covering the front door.

Did they steal the tap when the water was live? Obviously I know you WD being a decent plumber has installed some sort of isolation valve on the inside of the home.
If the water was live hopefully the thief got a good soaking.
It was the spray gun attached to the hose they pinched but yes there's a lever valve inside which we will now turn off each night incase the **** comes back and leaves the water running

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don’t think the death penalty helps anyone, it’s so rarely used and it’s only for monstrous crimes - those types aren’t put off by punishment, most don’t think about that.

The really frustrating thing is how little the police seem to do, probably due to resources. A few months ago the shop near me was raided for the cash machine. I happened to be up and about 03:00 I heard a car revving and screeching, looked out the velux and could see this little 4x4 parked in the middle of the road, with a couple of guys hooking a cable up to it, then I heard a window smash so grabbed the phone, called the police and ran downstairs and went outside. Checked they were definitely breaking in (without being seen!) and went back in. Blokes were there another 20 minutes fannying around trying to get the machine, eventually succeeded and tore off. I went outside, swept the glass etc out of the road, called the owner and waited. Police arrived 45 minutes later. The bloke didn’t say ‘hello’ or exhibit any basic pleasantries. Ignored me speaking to him initially and then just started asking me terse questions.

REALLY ****ed me off. His main queries were which way they went! They left almost an hour ago FFS. It was so tempting to go out there and protect my local area, but alone, against three guys who clearly don’t give a shot, with my young family in the house. No way. Of course the police did absolutely nothing except give a crime number. The owner took the CCTV footage to the station and actually had to argue to make them take it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was the spray gun attached to the hose they pinched but yes there's a lever valve inside which we will now turn off each night incase the **** comes back and leaves the water running

I see, thanks for clearing that up, I read it as someone had removed the brass tap.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don’t think the death penalty helps anyone, it’s so rarely used and it’s only for monstrous crimes - those types aren’t put off by punishment, most don’t think about that.

The really frustrating thing is how little the police seem to do, probably due to resources. A few months ago the shop near me was raided for the cash machine. I happened to be up and about 03:00 I heard a car revving and screeching, looked out the velux and could see this little 4x4 parked in the middle of the road, with a couple of guys hooking a cable up to it, then I heard a window smash so grabbed the phone, called the police and ran downstairs and went outside. Checked they were definitely breaking in (without being seen!) and went back in. Blokes were there another 20 minutes fannying around trying to get the machine, eventually succeeded and tore off. I went outside, swept the glass etc out of the road, called the owner and waited. Police arrived 45 minutes later. The bloke didn’t say ‘hello’ or exhibit any basic pleasantries. Ignored me speaking to him initially and then just started asking me terse questions.

REALLY ****ed me off. His main queries were which way they went! They left almost an hour ago FFS. It was so tempting to go out there and protect my local area, but alone, against three guys who clearly don’t give a shot, with my young family in the house. No way. Of course the police did absolutely nothing except give a crime number. The owner took the CCTV footage to the station and actually had to argue to make them take it.
A few years ago 4 men that lived in a house a few doors down were letting fireworks off between parked cars in the road on November the 6th! One of them looked to be holding a gun. Phoned police to tell them, by the time two female officers turned up they were back in the house, couple of knocks on the door with no answer so they just drove off!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
One of our local farmers took justice into his own hands when he caught a couple of thieving toe rags pinching stuff from his barn. It’s amazing what a little violence and fear can achieve. You get caught you pay the consequences.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Here are a couple of Yanks that made some nice responses to a front garden theft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2h-csnlps

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here