Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Shirt Sponsorship Deal

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
According to these figures we have the lowest shirt sponsorship deal of any Premier League side.

[tweet]1151535314185412609[/tweet]

I suppose there are some scenarios for why it is so low:

1. The deal we have with Amex includes the stadium, training ground and shirt sponsorship etc. as a package and that the number attributed to shirt sponsorship was just an arbitrary number.
2. We signed a multi year deal when we were in the Championship hence the low figure (but I'm surprised there was no promotion clause included)
3. Those numbers in the tweet could be total bollocks
4. We have a sh!t deal

I'm sure someone on here must know a little more about it. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is schooled upon these things I believe

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8994736 said:
According to these figures we have the lowest shirt sponsorship deal of any Premier League side.

1. The deal we have with Amex includes the stadium, training ground and shirt sponsorship etc. as a package and that the number attributed to shirt sponsorship was just an arbitrary number.
2. We signed a multi year deal when we were in the Championship hence the low figure (but I'm surprised there was no promotion clause included)
4. We have a sh!t deal

I'm sure someone on here must know a little more about it. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is schooled upon these things I believe

There's a few contributory factors.

1: The Albion did have a step up in the front of shirt deal with Amex when we were promoted but it was a relatively small one. To an extent it's payback in respect of the original sponsor deal when the stadium was first built. Amex were in a very strong negotiating position being a global brand being asked to sponsor what was then a club who had just been promoted from League One, and so this is reflected in the sum paid.

It's a bit like a new shopping centre getting the likes of Apple or John Lewis to open a branch there and the property developer gives those stores a rent reduction to attract smaller stores on the grounds of 'if it's good enough for Apple to be here...'

2: By having a non gambling front of shirt sponsor the Albion are hoping to tie up deal with secondary sponsors who do not want to be associated with the gambling industry. We are one of very few non-big six clubs who have a 'family friendly' sponsor in the shape of Amex and therefore are more acceptable to such commercial partners.

3: Given TB's background in the industry, he doesn't particularly want to be seen to by associated with any one gambling company as Star Lizard wants to be seen to have no favourites or close connections with any individual betting entity.

Premier League 2018 Commercial income.png

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given the choice between AMEX and 17 of those other 'brands' I'd rather the Albion paid AMEX for the privilege of sponsorship, than receiving a small fortune to have those names across our shirts.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
At the time it was a huge deal for us , compare the Amex deal with ITs one and i would imagine it's a huge difference .

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone got any info on the shirt sleeve sponsor for this season? I asked in the club shop yesterday and they said it hadn't been confirmed yet... Based on these figures, if Arsenal have got 'Visit Rwanda', we could maybe aim for 'Visit Rottingdean'?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8994736 said:

4. We have a sh!t deal

Senario number 1 could be the most likely cause, but who knows?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There's a few contributory factors.

1: The Albion did have a step up in the front of shirt deal with Amex when we were promoted but it was a relatively small one. To an extent it's payback in respect of the original sponsor deal when the stadium was first built. Amex were in a very strong negotiating position being a global brand being asked to sponsor what was then a club who had just been promoted from League One, and so this is reflected in the sum paid.

It's a bit like a new shopping centre getting the likes of Apple or John Lewis to open a branch there and the property developer gives those stores a rent reduction to attract smaller stores on the grounds of 'if it's good enough for Apple to be here...'

2: By having a non gambling front of shirt sponsor the Albion are hoping to tie up deal with secondary sponsors who do not want to be associated with the gambling industry. We are one of very few non-big six clubs who have a 'family friendly' sponsor in the shape of Amex and therefore are more acceptable to such commercial partners.

3: Given TB's background in the industry, he doesn't particularly want to be seen to by associated with any one gambling company as Star Lizard wants to be seen to have no favourites or close connections with any individual betting entity.

View attachment 113181

3rd lowest commercial income. Barber out!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Face it, we'll NEVER have a shirt sponsor that is more perfick in every way than SKINT. Likewise, let us never speak of the pink NOBO top again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here