Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Victorian engineering.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Thanks for modern medicine,and I/T but have been watching something like 'Britain's railway walks Rob Bell ? Huge human cost yet what a some truly amazing engineering feat. Clifton Suspension Bridge,Ribbleshead,Barmouth Bridge even Imberhorne Viaduct. Just sit easy on the eye.:bowdown:

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Thanks for modern medicine,and I/T but have been watching something like 'Britain's railway walks Rob Bell ? Huge human cost yet what a some truly amazing engineering feat. Clifton Suspension Bridge,Ribbleshead,Barmouth Bridge even Imberhorne Viaduct. Just sit easy on the eye.:bowdown:

I.K. Brunel = Genius

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have good engineers now, but back then they were invested in, to do good for common people and the country, as well as the rich guys who invested in it.

even Imberhorne Viaduct
Had to look that one up! If we're talking of impressive lesser-known viaducts, then may I indulge myself with this one...

011097_80e7792e.jpg

https://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/409

Mansfield_aerial-1-M.jpg

Last edited:

A personal favourite:

View attachment 113166

For me, the scale of the projects never fails to impress with great Victorian engineering.

Allegedly over - engineered but in the light of what happened a few years previously and not that far away, not surprising.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The London underground railways were a marvel of their age, the first line opened in 1863 and carried 9.5 million passengers in its first year. Years before others such as Paris copied.

I was about to post that. The engineering involved in building the London Underground is literally mindblowing.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was about to post that. The engineering involved in building the London Underground is literally mindblowing.

Photos of those brilliant, early Victorian engineers and bricklayers at work are incredible.

At a time where the rest of the world was embroiled in stuff such as a fight for and against slavery in the southern US states.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
All the way down from Plymouth to Penzance there are many beautiful viaducts, the one that goes over the river at St Germans is a thing of beauty.
I have great interest in Victorian engineering, St Pancras station is a truly amazing building.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All the way down from Plymouth to Penzance there are many beautiful viaducts, the one that goes over the river at St Germans is a thing of beauty.
I have great interest in Victorian engineering, St Pancras station is a truly amazing building.

St Pancras the main building/hotel and the sweep of the train terminus are both stunning.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Had to look that one up! If we're talking of impressive lesser-known viaducts, then may I indulge myself with this one...

Talking of lesser known marvels, anyone remember the bridge over Hartington Road? The brickwork was amazing - the bridge crossed the road at an angle, on a slope, and the bricks were laid at a 45 degrees to the vertical on one side, then up and over the top, to eventually come down to the other side again at 45 degrees to the vertical, the opposite way round!

It was the most fantastic bit of brickwork I've ever seen -really should have been preserved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I love your threads.

Look up this great man:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bazalgette

One of his progeny, sady, invented the exploitation TV fanchise Big Brother....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here