Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Percy "The Lion of Judah" Tau - Work Permit

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or easier, who knows. We could have a points system on immigration, and favour anyone who is a "professional footballer".

Or harder, where, as was being seriously debated a few years back, the FA introduce tighter regulations on the number of foreigners in each team or squad. At the time we were restricted by what we could do (I believe) due to the EU Freedom to Work Regulations.

But post-Brexit it's presumably entirely up to us. Whether that's a good thing, looking at the cretins we currently have in Westminster, well, that's to be seen.

The FA want to increase the HGP number and only allow 13 overseas players.

The PL obviously rejected this, as I understand when we need to get work permits for players the FA have to sign it off, I can’t see them doing this without the PL budging on HGPs.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If he played for a French club on loan which also played in the Champions League, would Tau be allowed to travel to the UK to play a game?

He /the club would need to apply for a temporary visa for him and it'll only be valid for the time the team was in the country for training and the match, but one would be granted.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if he is in Belgium for 3 years he could get a Belgian passport.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We have our own rules regarding employment of non-EU nationals.

Surely not?!

I thought we were a puppet state with zero control over any policy and that it was all set for us by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We have our own rules regarding employment of non-EU nationals.

So all along we could have......... feck......I’m off to the Brexit thread to tell them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Surely not?!

I thought we were a puppet state with zero control over any policy and that it was all set for us by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels?

They'd have probably implemented some sort of employment laws on us if they hadn't been so busy telling us how we need to package our kippers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not in the Brexit camp but the one plus side might see more home based players getting their chance in the future?

Great, if you like top flight UK football being Championship standard as it was before Spurs signed Ardiles and Villa in 1978.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Great, if you like top flight UK football being Championship standard as it was before Spurs signed Ardiles and Villa in 1978.
Not relevant as the game has changed enormously since then. In any case our clubs were mopping up most of the European trophies in those times so whatever the standard was, we enjoyed the best teams in the best league.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not relevant as the game has changed enormously since then. In any case our clubs were mopping up most of the European trophies in those times so whatever the standard was, we enjoyed the best teams in the best league.

The great English teams of the 70s and early 80s were heavily reliant on Scots, Irish and Welsh talent. That breeding ground has all but disappeared. Foreign players, coaches and managers have transformed the domestic game for the better but the Prem superstars of recent times have been foreigners - Hazard, De Bruyne, Aguero, Salah, Van Dijk, De Gea. Only Harry Kane of the British contingent can force his way into that elite company.

Did the club just fail to do their homework on immigration rules or is it part of a much wider recruitment strategy that includes the South American Scottish bloke. What gives? ???
I think Tony Bloom is a wise old bird with access to massively detailed information on players. If he sees one with potential but undervalued, I expect he would send out his scouts with a view to signing him even if he knows there's little chance of him working in the UK. It's also a versatile way of bolstering his Belgian club.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I'm not convinced Percy was bought as a first team player, given that the club would have been well aware of the work permit issues. He was bought at a relatively cheap amount, has gone out on loan and had an excellent season,and now been noticed by several clubs in various countries first divisions . He will in all likelihood be out on loan this season for a first division outfit in Europe and if he performs reasonably well would then be sold on for a nice profit of several million quid. Like it or not, players are a commodity who can make a nice trading profit if their stock rises . We may never see Percy play at the Amex but he could bolster the bank balance by a reasonable sum or pay Tony back some of the money he has invested.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I imagine if the overseas players leave/less come in the interest in the league will drop as will the money.

It will lead to better players (including the English ones) going to Spain etc.

Italy restricted Non EU players and the standard of the league dropped, as did the national team

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The great English teams of the 70s and early 80s were heavily reliant on Scots, Irish and Welsh talent. That breeding ground has all but disappeared. Foreign players, coaches and managers have transformed the domestic game for the better but the Prem superstars of recent times have been foreigners - Hazard, De Bruyne, Aguero, Salah, Van Dijk, De Gea. Only Harry Kane of the British contingent can force his way into that elite company.

You actually said that 'Great, if you like top flight UK football being Championship standard' which it wasn't in the 70's, it was a better league than the others. I don't think it matters where our players were from, what matters is that we had the best league as we do now in some people's minds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here