Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 'Potter promotes youth players' fallacy

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ha! Aren’t we the club putting prohibitive price tags on centre halfs and quite keen to pay £20m for Champ strikers?

Are we? Until we have an offer for a centre back or pay £20m for a champ striker, we cant say that, it's nothing more than paper talk, but yes, i do take your point, its the market we are in and unless the academy bears fruit will continue to be in which is exactly the point of why we are going down that road, we will of course continue to seek good prices for good players, why shouldn't we?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
W

This 100%.

Playing PL football in a poor side staving off relegation, is a huge ask for Albion’s development players.

Conversely their talent, energy and desire for first team football might have been exactly what was needed?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I’m not sure where that quote has come from but if true - all it means is a player training with the first team for 4 weeks or so . Hardly a lifetime of getting to know a team - it’s what we’d expect for a pre season or a new player.

A post script to an Albion Roar episode last season from a member of the coaching/development team.

Whilst I accept what you say re general bedding in period but you can’t deny that having done the time so to speak that CH then didn’t give enough of them valuable experience on the bench etc.

That was CH decision and yes fine I’m criticising him for it. Would it have saved his job? Probably not. Is it refreshing to have a manager who is likely to give more of them the experience in an environment where their contribution will be valued? Yes it is.

Look at Leeds under Bielsa. A really good relevant example. Fantastic football, much of it under the back drop of playing without fear whatever your age.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A post script to an Albion Roar episode last season from a member of the coaching/development team.

Is it refreshing to have a manager who is likely to give more of them the experience in an environment where their contribution will be valued? Yes it is.

It’s a leap from not playing u23s (yes he didn’t) to asserting that Hughton had an environment where they weren’t valued (really ?)

As for Potter - it’s all speculation. Come back in a few months - we will know then.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
That's the spirit!

We haven't played one game yet and were already doomed. You are basing your doom-mongering on what? Our previous manager's reluctance to play young (er) guys, therefore they must all be no good and nowhere near ready for the Premier League?

As for West Ham spunking 45 million on one player-that philosophy worked well for Fulham didn't it? Besides, they have money, remember they have a virtually free stadium whose matchday costs are being met by us, the frigging taxpayers. If every club had that option they'd al be paying stupid money for players-including The Albion.

I’m just stating the facts that Albion are financed bottom six, and facts show that clubs finish very close to the position their finances place them against their rivals. Doesn’t matter whether we play 17 year olds or 37 year olds, it’s just where we will finish.

Anywhere above bottom six is an achievement.

So not doom mongering, no.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Last season was not the time or environment for bedding youngsters. In the end we did what we had to do. Playing a youngster in the second half of the season might have ruined their whole bloody career!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter picked Connor Roberts ahead of Kyle Naughton and for several months players like Yan Dhanda, Joel Asoro and Daniel James giving no play time to Routledge and Dyer until we lost a few games in a row in November and he called Dyer/Routledge back only because they had experience in dealing with those kind of situations. I feel if he considers two players equally good he will most certainly go for the most promising one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here