Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 'Potter promotes youth players' fallacy

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It wasn't all that long ago that Aaron Wan-Bissaka was a total unknown up the road, he got thrown in because of an injury crisis. He was nowhere. Marcus Rashford at Man Utd had never been in the squad, and then when there was literally nobody else, he got thrown in for a start in the Europa League and banged in a double. Then he started against Arsenal and hit a couple more. It doesn't take much for a young player to get themselves into the side and when given the chance, they might snatch it and force themselves into the frame.

Who is to say that Tudor Baluta won't break through this season as a natural partner/successor for Dale Stephens. Who is to say that Aaron Connolly won't get himself off the bench a few times and nab a goal or two? There are a number of young players who could take the opportunity, but we'll never know if they're never given the chance. I am confident we'll see more debuts this season, or more players going out on loan to Championship clubs as Ben White has done.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It’s a good point. Does TB want some of his money back now, wouldn’t blame him.

We are not investing in fees or wages to match our rivals. I really can’t see youth players filling in the gap at this stage.

West Ham have just spent £45m on one player, as they did last year - probably guaranteeing mid table or top half. We’re not in the league.

Our level is bottom six, and we’re already in a massive relegation scrap, whether we play youth or not.

That's the spirit!

We haven't played one game yet and were already doomed. You are basing your doom-mongering on what? Our previous manager's reluctance to play young (er) guys, therefore they must all be no good and nowhere near ready for the Premier League?

As for West Ham spunking 45 million on one player-that philosophy worked well for Fulham didn't it? Besides, they have money, remember they have a virtually free stadium whose matchday costs are being met by us, the frigging taxpayers. If every club had that option they'd al be paying stupid money for players-including The Albion.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's one thing to bring 'youth players' through in the Swedish third division or whatever, quite another thing to try that out in the results-based cauldron of the PL. It's a crash-and-burn policy that would see him either hailed as a genius or out of work by the end of Autumn.

Almost as if hughton didn’t play this crop of younguns because he didn’t think they were good enough.

But far be it from me to suggest gykoreres will never cut it at this level.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Bless you!

Actually, like many people, I have high hopes for that young man, but I'd far rather he was introduced as a sidekick/apprentice/back-up to a dominant, game-controlling powerful midfielder than having to come in to try and be that person himself.

You're forgetting Baluta along side him ;)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
its the right path too, when you look at the fees being banded about for centre backs, not to mention £20 million for young strikers in the championship with ONE good season behind them. No brainer

Ha! Aren’t we the club putting prohibitive price tags on centre halfs and quite keen to pay £20m for Champ strikers?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not an odd comment at all. Where's the evidence of any single one of the current Albion youth crop being within a country mile of being 'Premier League Ready'?
Where's the evidence of them NOT being within a country mile of Premier League Football? 18 minutes isn't really long enough to judge players really. Is it?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What a ridiculous statement.

Hughton DIDNT TRUST u23 players to even be in the first team match day squad until they had trained 30/40 times with the squad. That’s not exactly giving them a chance is it? That smacks of come train, listen, don’t question and then, maybe then you get to travel in the squad and not get used. It’s demoralising and frustrating.

me.

I’m not sure where that quote has come from but if true - all it means is a player training with the first team for 4 weeks or so . Hardly a lifetime of getting to know a team - it’s what we’d expect for a pre season or a new player.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
40 training sessions in 4 weeks....

Ok Source the quote . Did he really say it ? If so - I’m not sure what the point is here. Looks like another odd reason to criticise Hughton . Players need a bit of time to get used to the squad. Hardly a revelation especially for those with limited experience.

Anyway he didn’t play players I guess because he didn’t think they were good enough. Perhaps mistaken - but What’s his training regime got to do with it ?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Ok Source the quote . Did he really say it ? If so - I’m not sure what the point is here. Looks like another odd reason to criticise Hughton . Players need a bit of time to get used to the squad. Hardly a revelation especially for those with limited experience.

Anyway he didn’t play players I guess because he didn’t think they were good enough. Perhaps mistaken - but What’s his training regime got to do with it ?

I agree. Was questioning the maths that's all. People have been mentioning this 40 or even 50 training session thing for weeks. Personally don't see the problem in young players having a decent acclimation period with the first team before they're selected for match day.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ideally, now that he has a budget to work with, he will now have the best of both worlds. Make no mistake, Potter has been brought in to utilise and harvest the mammoth investment TB has ploughed into the U23 academy. That doesn't mean the 1st team will suddenly be FLOODED with U23's, a balance obviously has to be struck. But part of Potter's remit will undoubtedly be to begin integrating some of them towards involvement in the 1st team squad.

I agree with most of the above its the "now he has a budget" is that the case as GP is the coach recruitment and development are now separate parts of the organisation I am sure GP has an input but he does not hold or control the purse strings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here