Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fernando Llorente Free Agent

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, let’s do a palace and immediately trigger all them match highest earner clauses and rack up an enormous wage bill.
As an aside, I do hope our club NEVER signs contracts with highest earner clauses in them. An absolute recipe for disaster right there.

As for Llorente, he scored 8 goals in 20 appearances last season - a decent return and comfortably good enough to play at this club. But he doesn't feel like the kind of player we'd take if all he was looking for was one last lucrative pay day. We've taken on a few that on the face of it look very similar, but it seems to me that players like Bruno and Calde didn't come here solely for the money, they were here for the life experience and I think that is admirable. Wayne Bridge moved from another English club, but there were specific personal circumstances surrounding that, and anyway we only paid about a seventh of his wage, so there was no disruption caused to the squad.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As an aside, I do hope our club NEVER signs contracts with highest earner clauses in them. An absolute recipe for disaster right there.

As for Llorente, he scored 8 goals in 20 appearances last season - a decent return and comfortably good enough to play at this club. But he doesn't feel like the kind of player we'd take if all he was looking for was one last lucrative pay day. We've taken on a few that on the face of it look very similar, but it seems to me that players like Bruno and Calde didn't come here solely for the money, they were here for the life experience and I think that is admirable. Wayne Bridge moved from another English club, but there were specific personal circumstances surrounding that, and anyway we only paid about a seventh of his wage, so there was no disruption caused to the squad.

Hat trick against Tranmere makes the stats look better than they are.

He is a lumbering oaf, his legs are gone.

Saying that he completely owned De Ligt in the champions league.....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
4-4-2.

Murray and Llorente upfront. Oldest pairing in Football history.

Lumbering and physical is an understatement.

Well we already hold the record for combined age of assist and goalscorer for the Bruno / Murray combo, so lets go for it :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is an issue to which I and others have returned repeatedly when we are rumoured to be interested in signing a 'payaday Pat'. Someone posted on here several years ago that several players have a 'top earner' clause, including Dunky, Knocky and Stephensy. It would be good to nail this once and for all (true or BS) because it influences all and every one of out transfer discussions, and we end up rehashing the same speculative arguments time and time again. You don't get that amount of repetition or lack of clarity on, say, the Brexit thread.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Currently looking for a new club

Two year contract £100,000 a week

That’s less than we’ve paid for most of our recent signings before we’ve paid their wages

I know he’s 33 but he’s a proven scorer and would buy us time to build a team

It’s a yes from me

If you pay someone £100k, the very next day there are five football agents on the phone demanding that their clients be paid the same amount.

And he's not even that good.

It's a no.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Spurs have just offered him another year on reduced terms and Fiorentina are interested Babacar anyone.

It’s funny when I heard hee was available I thought he would do but having seen that most people say no I’m tending to agree.

I really hope that Andone can do the business this season because I really think we’re going to need a 20 goal striker this time

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Don't think this would happen for various reasons, but i have always been a fan. He was superb when he was at Bilbao.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really hope that Andone can do the business this season because I really think we’re going to need a 20 goal striker this time

20! Bloodyhell. There was only 4 players got 20 last season, and 3 of them were with the top 2 sides. The highest scoring player outside the top 6 was Wilson on 14. Murray on 13 actually tied with:
Lacazette
Sigurdsson
Richarlison
Jimenez

If we're going to need 20, I'm even more worried than I was!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Llorente did a brilliant job for Spurs when Kane got injured c. Feb 19 and chipped in with goals and assists but - tellingly - he was better in Europe than in the Prem.

I fancy he'll return to Spain, or Italy or Turkey where they like an ageing star on big wages and a free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here