Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 148th Open Championship - Royal Portrush

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Nobody wants the driving heavy rain, looks like they are going to get 20mph + winds but lighter rain by starting early.
That should be enough to make it very interesting.
Totally agree. Levels the playing field for what The Open is supposed to be about. I.e. the opposite of Augusta. Different skills to win different majors.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh and even though I've got a few quid on Ricky to win (and Koepka, not out of it if he can remember how to putt). I'd much prefer to lose money and see Tommy Fleetwood lift the jug. Or Westwood, Rose or Willett who could all be in with a shout.

As Brian Moore said "it's up for grabs now!".

I'll be in Leeds most of the day watching junior cricket but the bar has Sky..... I love The Open. [emoji106]

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I backed both Fleetwood and Fowler at 30’s so as long as one of them finishes top 8 there is profit, both would treble my small outlay and although I’ve been backing Fowler for years I want Tommy to lift it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm going to stick with my prediction of Rose, I think he is a good wind player too.
But this is Lowry's to throw away, being Irish he should cope well with the conditions.
All this talk of weather aside, the quality of putting has been exceptionally good on undulating greens.
Some of them have made 25 yarders look like a 1 foot putt.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I would like to see Lowry win but have been laying him. Four shot leads can get turned over very quickly in golf.

Should make for a great afternoons entertainment.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nobody wants the driving heavy rain, looks like they are going to get 20mph + winds but lighter rain by starting early.
That should be enough to make it very interesting.

Oh I agree. It will be good to see them playing in some bad weather for a change to see who can handle it. My point was more that I don't believe that the R&A are embarrassed that the scoring has been low. They just want a fair test which it has been so far. The USGA are the ones obsessed with tricking up courses to make par a winning score in the US Open. The R&A could have made Portrush a lot harder had they wanted to, like they dd at Turnberry in 1986 when they had to cut half the long rough down after round 1 as it was too tricky.

It should be a good afternoon. I cannot really see beyond the top 2 at the moment. The only American that I have seen play well in wind is Ricky Fowler, so it will be interesting to see who else can as they all tend to hit the ball so high these days. Never forget - swing with ease into the breeze.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Weather question from an armchair viewer. How bad does the weather have to get before they suspend play? A little wind & rain and the show goes on, but if it becomes extremely hard to hit a ball straight, is that time to go for a coffee? My thinking being that the leaders may get to return tomorrow.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Weather question from an armchair viewer. How bad does the weather have to get before they suspend play? A little wind & rain and the show goes on, but if it becomes extremely hard to hit a ball straight, is that time to go for a coffee? My thinking being that the leaders may get to return tomorrow.

Play is usually suspended when balls are blown around on the green from a stationary position.

Being able to control the ball in wind is one of the main things that makes golf a severe challenge. It is proper golf, not target golf as happens too often these days,

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Play is usually suspended when balls are blown around on the green from a stationary position.

Being able to control the ball in wind is one of the main things that makes golf a severe challenge. It is proper golf, not target golf as happens too often these days,

Thanks. Just about to make myself comfortable for the afternoon. Going to be intriguing.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
All over now, unless one of the biggest blow ups in history happen. Fair play to Lowry he has been brilliant and really took advantage of the decent weather yesterday afternoon.

Hope the weather is better at St George’s next year as I’ve got a weekly ticket.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely lashing it down on and off now. Fleetwood’s wheels falling off with an ‘amateur’ shank.......fascinating stuff.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This has been the best Open ever ! since the last one of course and until the next one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This has been the best Open ever ! since the last one of course and until the next one.

There’s a job for you on the Sky commentary team.
‘You couldn’t write the script’.......
Well you could really, couldn’t you ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here