Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things you used to be able to do before "Health & Safety" took over

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yes. And yes, Hove.

Is that one road still called Carlton Terrace, Boundary Road and Station Road depending on whether on the Hove or 'slade side, and north or south of the station? I loved all that.

It is. Boundary Rd Hove on the East side North and South of the station. Station Road Portslade on the East side but South of the railway track. Carlton Terrace Portslade on the West side North of the railway track. I had a small flat there early nineties.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Having a couple of pints at lunchtime on a work day.

Bad luck for wherever you work.

Fall off a roundabout in a playground without bouncing back to your feet from some rubberised floor? I have a sneaking suspicion the rise of the snowflake generation came about because kids today don't get into bumps and scrapes nearly as much as we used to. Consequently they're all conditioned to being cowardly non risk takers with psychological damage and therefore a predication for overreaction.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley

_85711338_gettyimages-464348904.jpg

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Carry a cup of coffee through train carriages after purchasing it in the buffet without the staff member insisting you have a brown
paper bag to put it in. I mean, I never tipped scalding hot liquid on anyone.

Although there was that occasion with a bloke wearing just shorts. I did
aologise, but he just kept screaming; it was the train drivers' blo*dy fault for slamming the
brakes on anyway.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Working as a gardener in Preston Park in the mid' 70's, one of the jobs required was to trim the four huge Holly bushes in the grass strip at the front of the park. They were a good 6 metres or more high. The method was to nail a scaffold board across the top of a huge wooden ladder, lean the ladder in to the top of the bush, climb to the top with a pair of shears and get cutting.
Somehow, I'm still here to tell the tale, as are the Holly bushes, albeit having not been cut for years and now they are all out of shape. Too dangerous a job to cut them now!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Working as a gardener in Preston Park in the mid' 70's, one of the jobs required was to trim the four huge Holly bushes in the grass strip at the front of the park. They were a good 6 metres or more high. The method was to nail a scaffold board across the top of a huge wooden ladder, lean the ladder in to the top of the bush, climb to the top with a pair of shears and get cutting.
Somehow, I'm still here to tell the tale, as are the Holly bushes, albeit having not been cut for years and now they are all out of shape. Too dangerous a job to cut them now!
There is a photo somewhere of men painting the roof girders at Brighton station in Victorian times - trains still running, passengers and porters using the platform, and these poor sods at the top of ladders - actually three ladders tied together, end to end, with rope! - resting against the girders they were painting. Madness!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When I started work in the City in the early 90s, the bank I worked for had a subsidised bar open to all staff on the lower ground floor next to the canteen. It was absolutely packed every day.

Hard to imagine now.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I worked for a company in Camden that did editing. We had 5 edit suites and the pub up the road was known as edit 6.

I would routinely have a couple or three on Friday over a two hour lunch break. The afternoon was always wiped out and we would go for a kip in an empty office that they owned round the corner.

However a bloke we used to work with always did 4/5 in the afternoon and come back to work. He had his shifts worked around it. When he finished he was back up the pub till the early hours and back in work for 7.

This was the company however that a client alerted me to a fresh human turd outside my office. I don't regret leaving, the drinking and drugs culture was horrific.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Friend worked for BOC once and said they weren’t allowed any hot drinks for 2 or 3 days because lids had run out and no one in the head office was allowed to walk back from the machines to their desk with an ‘open’ cup for H&S reasons. I would happily watch the idiots that come up with this shite be publicly stoned, in an ironic twist, for their crimes against sanity! ;)

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I used to walk to the the bank and collect the cash to make up the wages for the weekly paid Council employees. Same time, same route every week. I was 17 or 18 at the time!

Not exactly H&S but I had to calculate how many notes and coins of each denomination I needed to make up the wage packets with pen and paper. Oh the relief when the last pay slip and cash matched!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Buy a hot drink at a fast food restaurant

I still have a tick shaped scar on my arm from barbed wire. Stuck in my arm then tore the flesh. Good times!
Not trying to scale the wall on Goldstone Lane, I hope!

It is. Boundary Rd Hove on the East side North and South of the station. Station Road Portslade on the East side but South of the railway track.
Now that just doesn't make sense, does it!

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
playing cricket without protective gear

I was thinking about this the other day. We used to head off to the local green with bat, stumps and cricket ball (and no pads,gloves or box) and proceeded to imitate John Snow, trying to bowl as fast as possible at the poor batsman. It played merry hell with technique though as no-one was getting in line or putting bat and leg close together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here