Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things you used to be able to do before "Health & Safety" took over

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Building sites are now unrecognisable from what I first experienced. Construction industry has changed so much but still has its nutters

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Didn't some Liverpool fan get his head knocked off by a train when departing Brighton station after a match in the 80's? Vague memories of that happening. Probably just got a clip round the ear for it......

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For all the H&S OTT stuff today, I didn't know or hear of a single kid that was killed in an accident whilst I was growing up. Knew one who was severely injured and left brain damaged aged about 12 whilst riding around on the back of a motorbike but lets face it, you gonna do that, then you're gonna do that regardless of what the law states. Definitely safer environments today but I do wonder when I see teenagers in high vis for walking between 2 points of the compass as part of a 'youth group' and think it's ridiculous insurance and suing has caused the need for that. There again, an entire generation now knows no different and accepts it as normal so really, it's no longer an issue. I was the last generation to have freedom and innocence before technology, parental paranoia and outsourcing self-responsibility eroded what remained of a care-free childhood. I'm glad I was born when I was, hate to be a child of the 21st century. No thanks at all!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Didn't some Liverpool fan get his head knocked off by a train when departing Brighton station after a match in the 80's? Vague memories of that happening. Probably just got a clip round the ear for it......

More than likely an urban myth.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Buying broken biscuits which were kept in a huge tin container. I can recall buying these from a store that was on the corner of Portland Road and Boundary Road. It may have been called Imperial Stores.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can you imagine a time before owning a refrigerator?
In our kitchen we had a pantry that stored tinned and fresh food. Summertime was terrible with virtually melted butter and foul smelling sweaty cheese.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Give your missus a slap for being lippy without some do-gooder lesbian going off on one.

I am not a lesbian but would not accept that.Actually 66 year old male.

Hopefully I will get a whoosh.

If not, you are a d**k

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Change a plug.

I had to ask for authorisation from head office's H&S Lead rep before changing a plug on a vacuum cleaner because the sealed one was damaged after being slammed in a door.

No vacuuming for 3 days while the suspense killed me.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Building sites are now unrecognisable from what I first experienced. Construction industry has changed so much but still has its nutters

I was thinking this when I was an apprentice what seems a hundread years ago every carpenter I met had part of a finger missing accidents were common and seen as par for the course, the improvements in onsite safety maybe a costly inconvenience to some, probably the same nutters who have benifited most from it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Cement in broken glass on top of outside walls (Goldstone Ground) , or have outward facing barbed wire.

Then, was it in the 80’s?, the courts and H&S jobsworths set about making the UK a better environment for burglars.

I still have a tick shaped scar on my arm from barbed wire. Stuck in my arm then tore the flesh. Good times!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can you imagine a time before owning a refrigerator?
In our kitchen we had a pantry that stored tinned and fresh food. Summertime was terrible with virtually melted butter and foul smelling sweaty cheese.

I can. My parents bought their first fridge in the early 60's when I was a nipper, a Prestcold if I recall correctly.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Buy chemistry sets with mercury in an openable tube.

I got a chemistry set when I was about 10 which had a bunsen burner which connected to the little gas wand on the cooker. I would mix all sorts of chemicals together, in a flask on a tripod being heated by the bunsen burner. I used to splash these bubbling concoctions onto my shirt which ended up as holes when my shirt was washed by my mum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here