Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things you used to be able to do before "Health & Safety" took over

Get maimed, injured or worse because your employer didn't provide the most basic of safety equipment or training perhaps? Speaking as one who lost a cousin and his wife due to the affects of asbestos.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Send TV presenters up Nelsons Column, freestyle!

images.jpg

Still can't believe he did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3daihiY30

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not read the whole thread and sorry to be boring but H&S didn't take over. Instead litigation took over! As companies/organisations/councils are liable to be sued they need to show they took reasonable steps to prevent whatever accident may have happened. If such litigation wasn't possible we wouldn't have so much Elven Safe Tea.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Get maimed, injured or worse because your employer didn't provide the most basic of safety equipment or training perhaps? Speaking as one who lost a cousin and his wife due to the affects of asbestos.

Not read the whole thread and sorry to be boring but H&S didn't take over. Instead litigation took over! As companies/organisations/councils are liable to be sued they need to show they took reasonable steps to prevent whatever accident may have happened. If such litigation wasn't possible we wouldn't have so much Elven Safe Tea.

Sorry, I didn't start this thread to cause upset or seriously complain about modern H&S laws, more a look back at the past in amazement at how things in our youth were. Such as my example as how-the-feck-were-you-allowed-to-smoke-on-a-plane. Meant to be light hearted! (apologies to anyone who has lost someone from an accident or lack of due care from an employer).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Excellent work, I still have a scar on the inside of my forearm from jumping over a flint wall, which had glass embedded on top, when I was about 7. Our old house in Shoreham had the same all round the top of an 8' high flint wall.

I still have a tick shaped scar on my arm from barbed wire. Stuck in my arm then tore the flesh. Good times!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Working in Romania, in 1999, on an oil refinery, we asked for some power to test some electrical equipment . . . .local 'engineer' dragged a huge cable over, and twisted the ends to our cable, red, yellow, black and blue . . . . . Then switched on the 415v 3phase supply . . . . Bare wires laying on the ground.

When we suggested some form of insulation might be a good idea, he threw a wooden pallet on top. That's was typical, I'm not aware anyone got hurt in the 6 months we were there, but you did need to keep your wits about you.

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Building sites are now unrecognisable from what I first experienced. Construction industry has changed so much but still has its nutters

There's a great programme on the Archive section of the BBC iPlayer about the construction of the Victoria Line in the 60s/70s. Not a single high viz jacket, hard had, pair of safety googles in sight!!! I watched that a few days after the series of programmes on Crossrail. Couldn't believe the difference!!

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
As a student I had a holiday job at Gatwick Airport cooking chicken, fish and hamburgers. There was not a single word about hygiene training. No one bothered to wash their hands or anything daft like that. One of the regular 'chefs' used to spit on the grill to check it was hot enough. If he heard the right fizz, it was time to put the burgers on.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Take a packet of Wine Gums into the Amex. Still pissed off the steward confiscated them last season as a likely projectile!

I think that says more about their opinion of you than the sweets - I've taken loads of packets of sweets into the Amex, but always alongside my young children....

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Children now don't know the pleasure of playing on a plank swing in the parks. That was always my favourite in those carefree days for children following the end of WW2. No TV, iPads etc. Played in almost car free streets with friends. climbed trees, went to the beach without close parental supervision. I'm glad I was a child then and not now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Go out all day on your bike as an 8 year old, and come home when the streetlights came on.

That was before paedophiles were invented around 1997, wasn’t it?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Children now don't know the pleasure of playing on a plank swing in the parks. That was always my favourite in those carefree days for children following the end of WW2. No TV, iPads etc. Played in almost car free streets with friends. climbed trees, went to the beach without close parental supervision. I'm glad I was a child then and not now.

One of the joys of living in a quite cul-de-sac is that children can, and often do, play cricket or football in the street. And yes, they use soft balls so won't damage the parked cars or smash windows :lolol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm trying to work out if this is a 'things before health and safety' thread or just a 'the good old days' thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here