Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huddersfield kit

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Obviously just a very clever marketing ploy - they’ll have no intention of wearing it for the season as they know the FA will ban it but they’re getting maximum exposure for Paddy power which is what the whole farce is about

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Huddersfield Town: Football Association request club's 'observations' over 2019-20 kit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49026053

"As a brand which embraces doing things differently, we didn't want to get into shirt sponsorship just to do the same as everyone else. We feel the diagonal design will be the most distinctive sponsor logo in the Football League - appropriate for the most distinctive sponsor there is."

Oh do f*** off. You're just yet another betting company in a league full of teams sponsored by betting companies.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
We’ve had some dodgy designs over the years but that is utter toilet [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Joke or not, I think it makes Huddersfield look like a tinpot outfit that have sold their soul for a few quid, the sort of outfit that were glad for a couple of seasons in the Prem but - like Oldham and Barnsley - might not return there for another 50 years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wind up or not, I'd be pretty pissed off if our new sponsor's first act was to make an ad about how shit we are.

Totally this. Quite unbelievable how Huddersfield have sold out to basically have their own sponsors completely rip the piss out of them.

But Paddy Power are so HILARIOUS and EDGY with their ads, I'm sure all their fans will absolutely love the piss-take with the spoof shirts and this promo video about how shite their club is. TB and Bloom really missed a trick here.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Obviously just a very clever marketing ploy - they’ll have no intention of wearing it for the season as they know the FA will ban it but they’re getting maximum exposure for Paddy power which is what the whole farce is about

Why is it clever? Just because someone’s caught media’s attention for being a cock doesn’t make them smart or add value to their ‘brand’. Majority of people will raise an eyebrow, think of a 4 letter word and move on. If that nano second of derogatory thought is deemed marketing genius then I really don’t understand why. It’s just embarrassing isn’t it? Btw, you’re not allowed to reply with there’s no such thing as bad publicity etc because clearly there is! :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wind up or not, I'd be pretty pissed off if our new sponsor's first act was to make an ad about how shit we are.

Agreed. I can’t imagine Tony Bloom agreeing a deal like that. If Huddersfield fans are saying it, that’s self-deprecating. Paddy Power doing it (who frequently appear to be a bunch of wankers marketing-wise) is just demeaning.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Honestly, I thought it was a piss take, It's for real.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Honestly, I thought it was a piss take, It's for real.

Well, its both.

Hudds won't be allowed to play in the EFL with that ridiculous sash, because it doesn't comply with shirt sponsorship ratios. But PP have launched a campaign to take the piss out of the football club, and the board/owners have taken the money to go along with it - quite literally making their club a laughing stock.

Looking on the DATM forum, some fans seem remarkably ok with this. "All about the clicks", "has got us loads of publicity", "biggest sponsorship deal outside the PL" etc. But some have seen it for the gruesome sellout that it is.

If we EVER went down this route, I would be absolutely embarrassed and mortified. More humiliating than finishing 91st 2 years running. To allow a sponsor, a betting firm, to openly ridicule a football club for its own publicity is a new low in 'modern football' IMO. Can you imagine what CPFC2010 would make of it if we went down that route ?

The owners of Huddersfield should hang their heads in shame.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, its both.

Hudds won't be allowed to play in the EFL with that ridiculous sash, because it doesn't comply with shirt sponsorship ratios. But PP have launched a campaign to take the piss out of the football club, and the board/owners have taken the money to go along with it - quite literally making their club a laughing stock.

Looking on the DATM forum, some fans seem remarkably ok with this. "All about the clicks", "has got us loads of publicity", "biggest sponsorship deal outside the PL" etc. But some have seen it for the gruesome sellout that it is.

If we EVER went down this route, I would be absolutely embarrassed and mortified. More humiliating than finishing 91st 2 years running. To allow a sponsor, a betting firm, to openly ridicule a football club for its own publicity is a new low in 'modern football' IMO. Can you imagine what CPFC2010 would make of it if we went down that route ?

The owners of Huddersfield should hang their heads in shame.

It's a clever publicity stunt for Paddy Power and Huddersfield get a few quid, It will also get forgotten very quickly.

It reminds me of the stunt Iceland pulled last year. They also have very clever PR, but arguably not as clever as Greggs.

Iceland took a Greenpeace film and turned it into advert. They knew damn well that political lobbyists can't advertise on TV and the film was already out there having been played in places like the cinema under the Greenpeace banner where it was allowed.

The advertising authority (doing their job well) reminded Iceland, but their PR took over and the story becomes how the authorities banned Iceland telling a story about the damage of the palm oil industry.

Job done. The PR people get their Christmas bonus and Iceland (yes ****ing Iceland) are now considered an ethical high street retailer which is debatable. Compare that to Marks and Spencer who getting smashed today for their plastic toy give away.

With this case, Huddersfield are out of the Premier League but back on the "front pages" and another cheeky stunt to add to the Paddy Power library.

Job done again. It's disruptive marketing but both entities have had one over on everyone.

I'd remind everyone of the marketing genius of Dick Knight to get "SKINT" on the front on the shirt. It gets people talking (particularly journalist to fill up their copy) and arguably added to the mix of us getting us far more press coverage than we would usually be afforded.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I stand incorrected!

Didn’t think it was fake.

As I say, don’t mind it but as many others have said it probably won’t be allowed.

Apart from the theme of the sponsor, which I hate, what is people’s problems with it? I quite like the South American style sash and sponsor. Looks like the kind of kit you’d see Umbro Chile churning out for a local team but just missing all the other sponsors all over it. Would it have been better on a solid colour shirt with a sash? A la River Plate or Vasco?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm so glad that The Albion have nothing to do with the grubby business that is the gambling industry.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I read yesterday that the kit was for pre-season only.

Well done Paddy Power, no sponsor ever gets this much publicity pre-season, and for a kit they will never wear in a competitive game.

As for Huddersfield, meh, isn't that the great thing about the British sense of humour, that we CAN laugh at ourselves?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
People getting so worked up about this....

I think it's good that a sponsor is doing something a bit more creative. The marketing dirge that comes out of our club is the same as pretty much every other club. Hastags and 'together' spring to mind.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here