Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Sussex Sharks T20 - matchday experience

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I've got tickets for Sussex-Surrey T20 on 26th July. I'll be going with my 8 year old. It'll be his first proper cricket match and my first visit to the County Ground for close to 30 years. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of parking, getting in/out of the ground, food, entertainment etc?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I've got tickets for Sussex-Surrey T20 on 26th July. I'll be going with my 8 year old. It'll be his first proper cricket match and my first visit to the County Ground for close to 30 years. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of parking, getting in/out of the ground, food, entertainment etc?

If you're taking your son and it's first game, he might find he's not sure how the game is going at first. I think it's really handy to take a pen and paper and jot 1 to 20 down and write down the score and wickets at the end of each over during the first innings. That way in the 2nd innings you can see exactly what the other team were on, and it'll give him an idea of what they need to do.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Getting in or out of the ground is straight forward; main gates on Eaton Rd or small gate by corner of Palmeria Ave and Cromwell Rd. Never really seen big queues and get through quickly. If you have a bag they'll want to look inside it.

Food wise there is usually a pizza van by the main gate and a burger/chips/hotdog sort of place next to the club shop. Under the Spen Cama stand there is hot food next to the bar and then up by the Palmeria Ave and Cromwell Rd entrance there are a few stalls. Nothing is cheap just to warn you but you're fine taking snacks/food in. If you buy a pint you pay £1 deposit on the glass so take it back to get refunded. Last year, when my son was 8, he made £42 collecting disgarded glasses to return and get the deposit.

Depending on where your tickets are for a lot of kids go and play in the nets during matches. Get there early and the players will likely be warming up so the kids go gawp at them.

Entertainment wise the teams often warm up on pitch and there will be some stuff going on on the screens but there isn't a huge deal to entertain an 8 year old beforehand I reckon though they'll give your son various things like a lanyard as you go in.

Hope that helps.

*edit* parking sorry not got a clue as I live a 10 minute walk away but on street parking round there will be pay & display until 8pm and likely to be cut throat at getting a spot. Probably need to park a few block away and walk for a minute or 2.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
One of my tips for Cricket at Hove - grab a Fatto a Mano take away - they don't mind you bringing in food (or they didn't last season).

Surrey is sold out so should be a great atmosphere

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hope he has a great time :clap2:

But no, no it won't be! :nono:

Yes, T20 is cricket for people who don't like cricket (to quote [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ) but there is a chance they may grow to like cricket one day.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do hope any youngsters fired up by England's World Cup win don't make the mistake of piling in to supporting Sussex. We are currently the Accrington Stanley of Cricket.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I do hope any youngsters fired up by England's World Cup win don't make the mistake of piling in to supporting Sussex. We are currently the Accrington Stanley of Cricket.

Did Accrington Stanley make the final of the FA Cup 9 months ago?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Thanks all. Take the point about proper cricket but this is the first professional game he'll see in the flesh.

He's really got in to playing this year so hopefully he'll get something from watching the pro's. I'm raising him as an Albion fan so he's already getting used to being disappointed with our underperformance. Following Sussex should come quite easily to him.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sussex generally do OK at T20, it's the County squad that are crap. Hopefully Jofra Archer and Rashid Khan are back bowling for T20.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sussex generally do OK at T20, it's the County squad that are crap. Hopefully Jofra Archer and Rashid Khan are back bowling for T20.

I fully expect Archer to being playing against Ireland at Lords to give him a run out in the England test side ahead of the Ashes series, so I doubt he will be playing much if any T20 for Sussex this year

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Thanks all. Take the point about proper cricket but this is the first professional game he'll see in the flesh.

He's really got in to playing this year so hopefully he'll get something from watching the pro's. I'm raising him as an Albion fan so he's already getting used to being disappointed with our underperformance. Following Sussex should come quite easily to him.
What a great Dad! Well played.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Not sure Sussex batting can last for 20 overs :(

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’ll love it......

Can’t add much to the advice above except that if the on street parking nearby is full, there are usually spaces in the North St multi storey on T20 match nights and it’s only a few mins walk away.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Unfortunately as he gets older with difficulty you'll have to explain why there's a bunch of blokes getting royally drunk and have their backs to the game all night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here