Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sander Berge

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My guess is that if he regards Sheff Utd as not big enough, he thinks the same about Brighton. Though if there are two days to go before the transfer window closes and he’s faced with us, Sheff Utd or another season in Belgium, maybe he’ll think differently.
Not if he's got a mate here who has been giving him positive feedback.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sounds quality this chap. Stephens and this chap as holding midfielders making room for Propper playing in Gross's role

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Already turned down Shef United and considered a rising star.

Seems unlikely, but this is the sort of ambitious signing I would have expected this Summer.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I've decided and I'm in.

Who wouldn't want a 6ft 4 giant bossing it in the middle of the park.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
My guess is that if he regards Sheff Utd as not big enough, he thinks the same about Brighton. Though if there are two days to go before the transfer window closes and he’s faced with us, Sheff Utd or another season in Belgium, maybe he’ll think differently.

What I took from the article was that he didn't want to join a newly promoted team. Which we aren't by any stretch. We also have a much better overall squad and have spent more money so far. Throw in the fact that we've already convinced one player that we're the next logical step from Genk and how that player could perhaps persuad Mr Berge to come to Sussex, then perhaps this one isn't as over ambitious as you make out

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I would be delighted if this is true as he looks very exciting, exactly the type of player we should be going for and for me that is by far the most important position we need to strengthen.

Unfortunately though the Belgian journalist who seems very in touch with all things Genk, including the Trossard deal at the time has just said it’s unlikely to happen.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I missed that interview when Potter said he wanted to bring in players in those positions.

Agreed . He’s been clear in interviews he wants to improve the squad (but that was a bland setting out his stall type quote)

And interpretation he wants a RB, midfielder and forward is entirely mine based on credible reporting of types of players we’ve been linked with.
(I think sky sports also reported this last week)

Correct, afaik , that neither he or Ashworth have been so explicit or virtually silent on transfer targets other than what they’ve allowed key journalists to report.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Agreed . He’s been clear in interviews he wants to improve the squad (but that was a bland setting out his stall type quote)

And interpretation he wants a RB, midfielder and forward is entirely mine based on credible reporting of types of players we’ve been linked with.
(I think sky sports also reported this last week)

Correct, afaik , that neither he or Ashworth have been so explicit or virtually silent on transfer targets other than what they’ve allowed the only club sanctioned journalist to report.

Corrected for you.

Wonder what Bryan Owen’s rider is going to be to replace our outgoing stooge?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
A nice analysis of him can be found at

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/tactical-analysis-sander-berge-genk-analysis-statistics-belgian-pro-league

They sum up with,

Sander Berge is certainly an interesting player. He is a good reader of the game, as evidenced with his passing ability but also his eye for danger when defending. At 21-years-old this is a very desirable skill to have. He does, however, need some improvement in a few areas of his game. His 1v1 defending is limited at times. This could be down to his lack of agility and balance which can often be exploited. A club looking to sign Berge may also look for greater output in terms of his passing. It is unclear whether his low numbers in deep completions, smart passes and progressive passes are due to Genk’s system and his responsibilities in this system or whether there is a limitation there.

His style of play is somewhat a mixture of Moussa Dembélé in terms of his dribbling and Nemanja Matić in terms of his 1v1 limitations. At this current moment, it seems unlikely that Berge could operate as a top-level defensive midfielder in a single pivot system given his lack of agility, such as the one played by Manchester City. However, alongside a midfield partner who can act as ballast for him, Sander Berge could thrive. I would certainly recommend him as a left-field choice for Tottenham’s midfield as he already appears to be a better option than Eric Dier or Victor Wanyama. Transfermarkt.com have Berge valued at around £19 million, so if the likes of Ndombele or Lo Celso are snapped up from under Tottenham’s nose or the asking price is too high, Berge could be a comparative bargain of a signing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My guess is that if he regards Sheff Utd as not big enough, he thinks the same about Brighton.

Possibly, though in the perception of someone looking to commit potentially three years of their career, there has to be a difference between a club entering their third season in the PL, and one about to play their first (and favourites to drop back down).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm going to guess that length of time in the division is less important than likelihood of survival. Wolves are a much more attractive proposition than us, and probably were last summer too.

Possibly, though in the perception of someone looking to commit potentially three years of their career, there has to be a difference between a club entering their third season in the PL, and one about to play their first (and favourites to drop back down).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here