Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Members
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    581


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am realistic enough to understand that the club is now a large corporate entity with multiple tens of millions in revenue. I have no problem with the club selling the rights (in the territory I happen to live) to pre-season friendly matches. But as they ARE now a large corporate entity, I will expect them to act like one in all regards.

    They have essentially misrepresented to me the service they are offering (or not offering). They published on social media that I could watch a stream for free. When I went to their website, they then directed me elsewhere, with no mention of any fee being payable. It was only then that I was left to discover that I had to pay $30 for the "free" product.

    Just imagine a shop where you spend a lot of money, advertises on social media that they are offering a product you desire for free. You get up early and stand in line, seeing many other customers receive their free product. You get to the till...and are asked where you live. You are surprised, but tell them; they ask you to join a second line. When you get to the front of that line, you are told you actually have to pay £20 for the "free" product, because they subcontracted (for a fee) with another entity the rights to deal with customers from your town. Would you feel "yeah, fair enough really", or would you feel they had stitched you up?

    The club has previous form for this sort of thing: at the start of the 2017-18 season they marketed a subscription to Seagulls TV with the explicit statement that "Seagulls TV will also screen live coverage and highlights of selected under-23 Premier League 2, Women's Super League and FA Youth Cup fixtures" - and then they didn't screen live coverage of any U-23 or FA Youth Cup matches that season.

    So no, I don't think it is "fair enough really".
    I meant more the reply was fair enough. PB clearly gives you the reason why the situation changed and then doesn't make any hollow promises (that you say the club have previously given you) but says that the club do and will do their best.
    In this case, the announcement about coverage, regardless of geography, only came 5 hours before kick-off. This included the link to the US stream - everyone had the same amount of warning and whilst I understand the issue, the broadcast was clearly a last minute deal that most people were able to benefit from. You too could benefit with a VPN.

    Look, I'm in a similar situation regarding geography and it is a real effort to try and get information on how to watch games etc, and I have complete sympathy to being up at ludicrous hours to watch something that you would be able to watch for no extra cost in the UK only to find it's basically impossible. It's a pain in the arse. Television rights are mad when it comes to football. You, being in America, probably have better access to the Albion on tele than anyone in the UK. Frankly, I agree that the club probably didn't need to sell the rights to Flo Sports but it was clearly the strategy that they see a good source of income as selling as many rights as possible. Had Sky decided that they wanted to broadcast in the UK, it would not have been free to watch.

    Analogy wise, it isn't like standing in line, it's like watching the BBC. In the UK it is free-to-air, we don't have to pay a subscription to watch. However, if you are abroad you don't get access to the BBC as they sell off their assets to other companies to make extra money. The product is still available to you, just not via the BBC. You're British, you used to watch BBC in the UK and you are annoyed because your relatives in the UK are able to watch BBC no issue. The way around this, that is absolutely no hassle, is as previously stated, to get a free VPN, and virtually go back to the UK to watch the BBC or in this case Seagulls TV.

    I'm really not having a dig, and hope this doesn't read as such. I understand your frustration (really really understand how difficult it is to watch the Albion from the other side of the world) but there is a really easy solution to this that the club obviously cannot offer. We are lucky enough to live in an age where a) the Albion are broadcast widely and b)they are worth watching - a simple work around makes far more sense than the club missing out on income because a deal hasn't been completed by a fan set deadline.
    "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Barndoor Holroyd Djmiles's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Kitchener, Canada
      Posts
      11,897


      9 Not allowed!
      The situation could have easily have been resolved if the club stated that customers in US and Canada would have to pay from the get go.

      I also went to watch the match mid-game, only to find out I had to pay when I got there.

      I agree with AZ. Don’t advertise it as free if it’s not free!
      Barndoor Gatting, Barndoor Davies, Barndoor Holroyd, Barndoor Paynter. Who is next for this coveted title? Barnes is currently favourite to take the crown from Billy Paynter.
    • #23
      Members
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      1,514


      0 Not allowed!
      Would be intrigued to know how many people watched the game on 'Flo Sports'.
    • #24
      Members Rugrat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Seaford/Tenerife
      Posts
      9,303


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by albionalex View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Would be intrigued to know how many people watched the game on 'Flo Sports'.
      I could hazard a guess!
    • #25
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      46,876


      4 Not allowed!
      At the time the club sent the original communication they’d obviously decided it would be, at the very least, free in UK. So why didn’t the club simply say this? Eg “Free to air in the U.K., other territories might incur a cost.” That’s fair and clear.

      It’s clearly a comms cock-up. Might have been nice if the club had acknowledged this.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #26
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      50,414


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      At the time the club sent the original communication they’d obviously decided it would be, at the very least, free in UK. So why didn’t the club simply say this? Eg “Free to air in the U.K., other territories might incur a cost.” That’s fair and clear.

      It’s clearly a comms cock-up. Might have been nice if the club had acknowledged this.
      Agreed, a “thanks for your email, it’s a valid point and one we will address in the future” would have been the logical and simplest response wouldn’t it?

      Anyway I’d like to thank the club for providing this service, The quality of picture was excellent and I enjoyed the coverage. In all honesty if there are a number of games being featured like this I would have paid for a month’s subscription if I lived in a pay region.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
    • #27
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      46,876


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I wonder what the viewing figures were for the game in North America.
      My initial thought as well.

      As an aside, I remember when the viewing figures and fees for that failed ITV Football League deal were leaked many years ago. There was one game in the North East where it would have been marginally cheaper for ITV to pay for all the tv viewers to travel to, and actually attend the game in person and have £400 spending money each. No wonder it failed.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #28
      Members Steve in Japan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      East of Eastbourne
      Posts
      2,679


      1 Not allowed!
      I remember when I used to send lengthy work emails on the weekend.

      Now I think “**** that”.
    • #29
      Members The_Viper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      3,888


      7 Not allowed!
      I used a VPN, I watched it all no problem. I was very annoyed to find that the US fans had to pay an outrageous amount for a channel/site I'd never heard of before. But if they want to charge for it and rip their NA customers off that's their right to do so, I'll never fault the Albion for trying to make money after the last twenty years.

      The bit that did annoy me is that it was slimy and secretive. They said it was available for all fans to stream live and blah blah blah. They put a little caveat at the end of the article saying US/Canada fans can watch here never once saying it cost money to do so, it was just a bit scummy.
    • #30
      Members
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Worthing-By-Sea
      Posts
      13,324


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Djmiles View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The situation could have easily have been resolved if the club stated that customers in US and Canada would have to pay from the get go.

      I also went to watch the match mid-game, only to find out I had to pay when I got there.

      I agree with AZ. Don’t advertise it as free if it’s not free!
      Do you want the club to list every country a game will be / will not be available in ?

      Really the club should have just said Free to UK blah blah and let everyone figure it out.

      Lets not turn into the US where we need precise Do's / Don'ts for everything.

      Do not take this medication before driving, playing golf, milking the cow or operating heavy machinery
      Eating this may cause food poisoning
      Don't eat yellow snow

      Etc
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •