Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New face of the Bank of England's £50 note is Alan Turing

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is nice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48962557

As an aside I can't for the life of me remember the last time I even saw a £50 note.
I'd imagine I've only owned 2 or 3 in my lifetime.

That should start an influx of 'loadsofmoney'. :lol:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Gordon Welchman was as, if not more influential than Turing. They were both vital and total heroes, but Welchman became a little persona non grata in the light of his subsequent revelations after his stint in the US.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gordon Welchman was as, if not more influential than Turing. They were both vital and total heroes, but Welchman became a little persona non grata in the light of his subsequent revelations after his stint in the US.

Are you suggesting Turing wasn't a little persona non grata? :lol:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think the only time I have ever held a £50 note was when I saw someone drop one at the Amex on the way back to the uni car park. I gave it back of course.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Indeed, but he was later 'pardoned'. Welchman died having been hung out to dry by the UK and US.

Wasn't Turing only pardoned years after his suicide ? Regardless, a good choice IMHO.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Still think we've got FAR more to 'make up' to Turing. Welchman had a long career in the US and became a US citizen. He did have his security clearance withdrawn after he published his Bletchey memoirs (after his retirement), but I don't think that's on a par with being chemically castrated.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Given that it was a "people's Choice", I think it is clearly significant because of the homosexuality bit as well as for his work...… which is I guess the point.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That's a great decision. As a Computer Science graduate, Turing has always been a bit of a hero of mine. The "Turing Machine" is still taught in every CS degree in every university.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Both men were brilliant, and shortened the war thus saving many lives.

Very much agree, but let's also remember Tommy Flowers - without whom much of it would have been theory rather than practice, IMO

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

more influential? dont recall a Welchman machine, Welchman test, or Welchman completness. Turing is a Colossus of computing and creating the foundations of infomation society we live in today, well recognised with this news.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
more influential? dont recall a Welchman machine, Welchman test, or Welchman completness. Turing is a Colossus of computing and the foundations of infomation society we live in today, well recognised with this news.

If you get bored, have a read up on Welchman. Did a miniscule amount of development regarding how communications work, much of which remains the basis of what we use today. Insignificant and irrelevant I know, but I was impressed.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Given that it was a "people's Choice", I think it is clearly significant because of the homosexuality bit as well as for his work...… which is I guess the point.

NO! Alan Turing was a brilliant man for his cerebal achievements NOT because he was homosexual! Jeez! His mental ability won acclaim not his sexual preference.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep, in 2013. 59 years after his death.

In other words, an utter waste of time. Still, keeps the radical left happy and the radical right annoyed so on balance...yep still a waste of time.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In other words, an utter waste of time. Still, keeps the radical left happy and the radical right annoyed so on balance...yep still a waste of time.

I doubt his family think it was an utter waste of time. I doubt the gay community do. It's better late than never at all. It at least sends a message that we were wrong. As does putting him on the bank note.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here