Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New face of the Bank of England's £50 note is Alan Turing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be honest here. How many people on here have ever paid for anything using a £50 note

Building work. If you go to the bank and get x grand it will be in 50s.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I believe it is widely thought that he was also on the Autism spectrum, I know that the film about him heavily hints at this. The magic of being able to see things in different ways coupled with the struggle of someone who misunderstood, mistrusted and disliked because he was both gay and autistic gives this gesture a huge thumbs up from me. One of the benefits of progressing as a society is that we can eventually appreciate and commemorate our deserving heroes. it is just a shame that it is far, far too late for him.

Not still living in the UK, would someone be able to send me one of the notes for posterity? :wink::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJbE0r27mFs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I can't for the life of me remember the last time I even saw a £50 note.

Similarly, the only time I ever see a five pound note is when I am up north.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I believe it is widely thought that he was also on the Autism spectrum, I know that the film about him heavily hints at this. The magic of being able to see things in different ways coupled with the struggle of someone who misunderstood, mistrusted and disliked because he was both gay and autistic gives this gesture a huge thumbs up from me. One of the benefits of progressing as a society is that we can eventually appreciate and commemorate our deserving heroes. it is just a shame that it is far, far too late for him.

Not still living in the UK, would someone be able to send me one of the notes for posterity? :wink::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJbE0r27mFs

We need ' the slightly different people ' on the planet to help us. Their ' wiring ' gives them a gift to think singularly, obsessively and at a level that most of us have no concept of. Sometimes simplicity of thought is the best thought. Sometimes, downright, pure. unadulterated honesty is for the best. No small talk, no flannel, no waffle, no bullshit. Just innocent plain speaking. It cuts to the chase. It leaves one in no doubt. Its almost purity of thought. Most of us have thought patterns all over the place. Some don't. Turing didn't. He could harness and focus his thoughts completely. He could see the way forward despite intense opposition.
If any of you out there have children, family or friends who are ' slightly different ' you will know what I mean. I have a son who is ' wired ' differently. He is a joy to be with. His honesty is disarming and he possesses gifts beyond the norm. Of course he struggles with some basic stuff that most take for normal. A standard two way conversation, small talk ( none ) and banter/innuendo etc. You have to look beyond all of that and appreciate that what has been taken away has also been replaced with certain enhanced skill sets.
When the new polymer £50 note comes out, I will be acquiring one. I will frame it and hang it on my wall and I will look at Alan Turing and I will remember that personal battle and that legacy and from that I will draw my inspiration.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am lucky enough to share my life with three such children. I'm not going to pretend life is not challenging but I wouldn't change any of them.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
3FD976D3-7F71-47E9-8113-B03211BF8E6E.jpeg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We need ' the slightly different people ' on the planet to help us. Their ' wiring ' gives them a gift to think singularly, obsessively and at a level that most of us have no concept of. Sometimes simplicity of thought is the best thought. Sometimes, downright, pure. unadulterated honesty is for the best. No small talk, no flannel, no waffle, no bullshit. Just innocent plain speaking. It cuts to the chase. It leaves one in no doubt. Its almost purity of thought. Most of us have thought patterns all over the place. Some don't. Turing didn't. He could harness and focus his thoughts completely. He could see the way forward despite intense opposition.
If any of you out there have children, family or friends who are ' slightly different ' you will know what I mean. I have a son who is ' wired ' differently. He is a joy to be with. His honesty is disarming and he possesses gifts beyond the norm. Of course he struggles with some basic stuff that most take for normal. A standard two way conversation, small talk ( none ) and banter/innuendo etc. You have to look beyond all of that and appreciate that what has been taken away has also been replaced with certain enhanced skill sets.
When the new polymer £50 note comes out, I will be acquiring one. I will frame it and hang it on my wall and I will look at Alan Turing and I will remember that personal battle and that legacy and from that I will draw my inspiration.

Does anyone remember the programme on tv about disabled people trying to get into jobs. There was a fantastic one where a chap with autism who was introduced to a software company. He really struggled with human interaction, but they took him on as part of a trial and set him a task to review a particular piece of coding that wouldn’t work...after a few hours, he came back with three lines of code that according to him “ made no sense”. He suggested changes and hey presto it worked.

The programme followed his time at the company and after a few weeks it came to the point to say goodbye....he stood up in front of the gathered people...only a few in this company and said how much he liked them and the company and how he had enjoyed the work. The MD was in tears and employed him in the business following the meeting. They went back 6 months later and he was still in the job, he had made the company ( and saved) into a successful business by making sure their software was so bug free on release.

My wife sees autistic children at a very young age and they are extremely hard work, but they are hardwired differently to what we call “ normal people” which in itself is a insufficient phrase as we are all different in our own ways. They have their own skills and it is so rewarding when something happens that we regard as normal. As an example this young person who is very challenging came up to my wife and gave her a stone which had been found....soon she had about 5 of these similar stones and the child had sorted through a whole pile of stones delivered to lay as a path and picked out ones that were almost perfectly symmetrical.....the child said to her “ perfect”! It was the first thing that the child had said to her that made any sense at all!

She was in bits

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree that Alan Turing was a brilliant man and he will be on the £50 note because of that.

I was merely making a point that the PERSECUTION he suffered because of his homosexuality will have evoked some/a good deal of public sympathy, as it did with me. That goes alongside but very much as a second string to the recognition of his Bletchley Park etc achievements.

If it was me you were getting at later on in this thread about hijacking the thread to promote homosexuality, then that was not my intention at all. Apart from anything else, I firmly believe you can't "promote" homosexuality. You either are or you are not. I am most certainly not. I have a daughter who very much is, and I know how much grief that has caused her in her life. It is therefore something that I have very strong feelings about.
This. ALL of this.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
A fantastic decision, the man literally saved hundreds of thousands of lives.
I’m not sure the peace loving protesters outside Birmingham schools will be to pleased if they get a nifty in their benefits...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here