Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New face of the Bank of England's £50 note is Alan Turing

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In other words, an utter waste of time. Still, keeps the radical left happy and the radical right annoyed so on balance...yep still a waste of time.

How funny and wrong.

Like others on here I had to study Turin in depth on my computer science masters. I had no idea about his work during the second world war, it wasn't even mentioned and neither was his conviction.

He is known as the "Father of Modern Computing" and was the most important mathematicians this country has ever produced.

Way ahead of his time, his work influenced other computer greats like Von Neumann.

Because of sexuality his importance was somewhat hidden outside of academia until relatively recently.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is your agenda Bold boy? Are you celebrating him for his intelligence and genius? Or his preference for chite shoot? Sorry to be so blunt but I want you to answer. Is it about his achievement or his sexuality? I might have read you wrong but I want other potential posters to be aware this is NOT about sexuality! He was chosen for achievement.

I've been interested in his intelligence, genius and life story for a long time. Great to see the man celebrated.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
How funny and wrong.

Like others on here I had to study Turin in depth on my computer science masters. I had no idea about his work during the second world war, it wasn't even mentioned and neither was his conviction.

He is known as the "Father of Modern Computing" and was the most important mathematicians this country has ever produced.

Actually the 'father of modern computing' was probably Charles Babbage. Turin brilliantly tuned into that early computing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've been interested in his intelligence, genius and life story for a long time. Great to see the man celebrated.

I admire your patience.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Ok this thread, another one, yet again, being ruined by people with an agenda. The celebration that is rightly deserved of Alan Turing being honoured is not about anything other than his mental brilliance. It is not about point scoring for posters. I Celebrate Alan Turing. Genius!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How funny and wrong.

Way ahead of his time, his work influenced other computer greats like Von Neumann.

Indeed. First I heard about him was via New Scientist in the early 80s. I was stunned by the fact he had done so much and yet was (at the time) unknown. His full story was skirted around at the time. Later (late 80s and into the 90s) when I found out more about him, blimey, what a tragedy and disgrace. Later still I seem to recall some disparaging comments about him in 'Spycatcher' and elsewher. I doubt he was the easiest of colleagues. These days we celebrate diversity (this includes being difficult as well as other phenotypic tangents) and the bloke would be given whatever resources and salary he wanted. The cruelty inflicted on him, by contrast was a national disgrace. Yes, of its time (almost everyone was a bit Swiss Tony cum Bernard Manning in the 50s). Fortunately in our time we have an opportunity to give respect and, if only token, make some amends.

Anyone wanting to nit pick over that can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Indeed. First I heard about him was via New Scientist in the early 80s. I was stunned by the fact he had done so much and yet was (at the time) unknown. His full story was skirted around at the time. Later (late 80s and into the 90s) when I found out more about him, blimey, what a tragedy and disgrace. Later still I seem to recall some disparaging comments about him in 'Spycatcher' and elsewher. I doubt he was the easiest of colleagues. These days we celebrate diversity (this includes being difficult as well as other phenotypic tangents) and the bloke would be given whatever resources and salary he wanted. The cruelty inflicted on him, by contrast was a national disgrace. Yes, of its time (almost everyone was a bit Swiss Tony cum Bernard Manning in the 50s). Fortunately in our time we have an opportunity to give respect and, if only token, make some amends.

Anyone wanting to nit pick over that can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

Oooh you are a precious!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is your agenda Bold boy? Are you celebrating him for his intelligence and genius? Or his preference for chite shoot? Sorry to be so blunt but I want you to answer. Is it about his achievement or his sexuality? I might have read you wrong but I want other potential posters to be aware this is NOT about sexuality! He was chosen for achievement.

Ok this thread, another one, yet again, being ruined by people with an agenda. The celebration that is rightly deserved of Alan Turing being honoured is not about anything other than his mental brilliance. It is not about point scoring for posters. I Celebrate Alan Turing. Genius!!!

Do you really have no self awareness!?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well Babbage never built his machine for a start and it was mechanical. He did build something, but his plans for something better that could be actually programmed never happened.

He also wasn't the first person to build a mechanical machine to solve problems, since the Greeks got there first.

Turing's "machine" was only conceptual but it's the point computing becomes a science problem rather than engineering.

Conceptually if a Turing machine can't solve a problem, a modern computer can't either. He nailed what a computer could do but also importantly could not.

He didn't need to build anything to prove it.

Unfortunately Babbage also went a bit betamax and designed his machines to use decimal rather than binary.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sanctimony, it's not santimony, it's outright derision at the way you're putting your point across and your self proclaimed expertise and knowledge on the matter - without ever offering any reasoning, just hostility and superiority.

Turing for me isn't really about the pardon, which seems to be your bug bare - the notion of pardoning, which is another discussion altogether. The UK government had to take a view on how to celebrate his genius, especially with the release of his papers in 2012 after the expiry of the official secrets act on the documents. So how do you celebrate and revere a historical figure with a criminal record and a great wrong against him? Just ignore it, or deal with it? The government chose to deal with it, but that being a waste of time is really a matter of debate an opinion, not a clear cut answer like you are so aggressively suggesting.

No one really knew what he had done or who he was until 25 years after his death, and even then not until much later. I'll be honest, I first came across him in Neal Stephenson's fiction, especially Cryptonomicon, and the interest grew from there.

I don't actually have the aggressive opinon on the pardon as you do, just an interest in the man and his achievements and his ultimately tragic life. You classified it as the radical left or right, but really, you're the only one getting massively upset about it on here.

Of course, in true NSC style, we’ve strayed well off thread now but you keep mentioning righting a wrong, I keep reminding you it wasn’t at the time and we see things very differently now. That’s the crux of the matter and until you accept that? Secondly, so many wrong assertions in your post its tiresome to begin correcting them. Lastly, this is NSC, a football post board so I’m sorry if you were expecting considered essays by reply. It’s more a case of shoot and shoot again isn’t it? Quick fire. Until one or the other has been :guns: down and reduced to :shit: or :flounce: off like old Harry. Anyway, :kiss::cheers:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course, in true NSC style, we’ve strayed well off thread now but you keep mentioning righting a wrong, I keep reminding you it wasn’t at the time and we see things very differently now. That’s the crux of the matter and until you accept that? Secondly, so many wrong assertions in your post its tiresome to begin correcting them. Lastly, this is NSC, a football post board so I’m sorry if you were expecting considered essays by reply. It’s more a case of shoot and shoot again isn’t it? Quick fire. Until one or the other has been :guns: down and reduced to :shit: or :flounce: off like old Harry. Anyway, :kiss::cheers:

Well, its pretty clear you must have air pistols because there is only hot air coming out of them. :guns:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can the mods rename this thread "Gammon do 'whataboutery' over £50 showing someone not 'one of us'"?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How funny and wrong.

Because of sexuality his importance was somewhat hidden outside of academia until relatively recently.

You’ve misunderstood. And misquoted. No one is arguing about his greatness. The fallacy of pardoning people 50, 100, 200 years etc afterwards using a completely different set of values to the time is what makes no sense to me nor many others. No matter who you they were or what they did. It’s a very slippery slope. And increasingly common as we try to right history’s many wrongs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here