[Finance] New face of the Bank of England's £50 note is Alan Turing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I always spell his name wrong too.

Damn. I thought you were taking the piss :lolol:

Seriously, though, one poster mentions 'homosexuality' and then we have pinky and perky doing the old 'how dare you mention anything other than his cybernetic genius', doing the virtual 'hold me back' dance.

"Now, I have nothing against poofs, but there is no need for that sort of thing on a mathematical thread", they might have said. And that's before we get onto the bondage and corporal punishment.

I gently.....exhale.

:facepalm::thumbsup::lolol:

RIP Alan Turing, you poor *******.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/15/business/alan-turing-50-pound-note/index.html

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, its pretty clear you must have air pistols because there is only hot air coming out of them. :guns:

I requested a shotgun emoji but they don’t do one. Consider yourself splattered though! :rock:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You’ve misunderstood. And misquoted. No one is arguing about his greatness. The fallacy of pardoning people 50, 100, 200 years etc afterwards using a completely different set of values to the time is what makes no sense to me nor many others. No matter who you they were or what they did. It’s a very slippery slope. And increasingly common as we try to right history’s many wrongs.

I've always wondered where these slippery slopes lead to.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Should of bin Tommy robinson as the peoples choice but once again the left wing BBC get their way and its someone that ive never heard of so proberly made up just to keep the MSM happy

Regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I can't for the life of me remember the last time I even saw a £50 note.
I'd imagine I've only owned 2 or 3 in my lifetime.

Builder’s currency.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Maths genius, godfather of modern computing and victim of the times because of his sexuality. It's difficult to think of Turin's life without taking in all these facts. I find it interesting that in the age of 'death by tweet', internet SJW's, online 'harms' and 'hate speech', we should celebrate a man who helped lay the foundations of modern computing but was systematically bullied to death because of his sexuality. It's all relevant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whole lot of willy waving going on in here.

"I know way more about Turing than you"
"UH YAH CHINNY RECKON I WAS LEARNING ABOUT TURING WHEN YOU WERE FARTING AROUND WITH A GAMEBOY"

Rinse and repeat.

Odd isn't it.

I was expecting considerably more:-

'i once had 3 mill in my sky rocket, all in 50 sov notes'.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
NO! Alan Turing was a brilliant man for his cerebal achievements NOT because he was homosexual! Jeez! His mental ability won acclaim not his sexual preference.

I agree that Alan Turing was a brilliant man and he will be on the £50 note because of that.

I was merely making a point that the PERSECUTION he suffered because of his homosexuality will have evoked some/a good deal of public sympathy, as it did with me. That goes alongside but very much as a second string to the recognition of his Bletchley Park etc achievements.

If it was me you were getting at later on in this thread about hijacking the thread to promote homosexuality, then that was not my intention at all. Apart from anything else, I firmly believe you can't "promote" homosexuality. You either are or you are not. I am most certainly not. I have a daughter who very much is, and I know how much grief that has caused her in her life. It is therefore something that I have very strong feelings about.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Should of bin Tommy robinson as the peoples choice but once again the left wing BBC get their way and its someone that ive never heard of so proberly made up just to keep the MSM happy

Regards
DR

You really are a stupid prick.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whole lot of willy waving going on in here.

"I know way more about Turing than you"
"UH YAH CHINNY RECKON I WAS LEARNING ABOUT TURING WHEN YOU WERE FARTING AROUND WITH A GAMEBOY"

Rinse and repeat.

Cock.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The standard response to that comment on social media is a mock up with Dianne Abbott's face on a £49 note.

Maybe put Cameron’s head on a £45 note? After all, this is how much a 50 is really worth these days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Be honest here. How many people on here have ever paid for anything using a £50 note!

In eu, using a €50 is commonplace, but try using a £50 and you are viewed as a forger or person of caravan dwelling ethnicity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here