Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 112
  1. #71
    Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Faversham
    Posts
    17,351


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rubbish.
    'Turin'? Next he'll be on another thread slagging off Houghton. Some people just can't let their hate go.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
    It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #72
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      20,859


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Rivet View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What is your agenda Bold boy? Are you celebrating him for his intelligence and genius? Or his preference for chite shoot? Sorry to be so blunt but I want you to answer. Is it about his achievement or his sexuality? I might have read you wrong but I want other potential posters to be aware this is NOT about sexuality! He was chosen for achievement.
      Quote Originally Posted by The Rivet View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Ok this thread, another one, yet again, being ruined by people with an agenda. The celebration that is rightly deserved of Alan Turing being honoured is not about anything other than his mental brilliance. It is not about point scoring for posters. I Celebrate Alan Turing. Genius!!!
      Do you really have no self awareness!?
    • #73
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Posts
      19,236


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Rivet View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Really?
      Well Babbage never built his machine for a start and it was mechanical. He did build something, but his plans for something better that could be actually programmed never happened.

      He also wasn't the first person to build a mechanical machine to solve problems, since the Greeks got there first.

      Turing's "machine" was only conceptual but it's the point computing becomes a science problem rather than engineering.

      Conceptually if a Turing machine can't solve a problem, a modern computer can't either. He nailed what a computer could do but also importantly could not.

      He didn't need to build anything to prove it.

      Unfortunately Babbage also went a bit betamax and designed his machines to use decimal rather than binary.
      Last edited by clapham_gull; 15-07-2019 at 23:57.
    • #74

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sanctimony, it's not santimony, it's outright derision at the way you're putting your point across and your self proclaimed expertise and knowledge on the matter - without ever offering any reasoning, just hostility and superiority.

      Turing for me isn't really about the pardon, which seems to be your bug bare - the notion of pardoning, which is another discussion altogether. The UK government had to take a view on how to celebrate his genius, especially with the release of his papers in 2012 after the expiry of the official secrets act on the documents. So how do you celebrate and revere a historical figure with a criminal record and a great wrong against him? Just ignore it, or deal with it? The government chose to deal with it, but that being a waste of time is really a matter of debate an opinion, not a clear cut answer like you are so aggressively suggesting.

      No one really knew what he had done or who he was until 25 years after his death, and even then not until much later. I'll be honest, I first came across him in Neal Stephenson's fiction, especially Cryptonomicon, and the interest grew from there.

      I don't actually have the aggressive opinon on the pardon as you do, just an interest in the man and his achievements and his ultimately tragic life. You classified it as the radical left or right, but really, you're the only one getting massively upset about it on here.
      Of course, in true NSC style, we’ve strayed well off thread now but you keep mentioning righting a wrong, I keep reminding you it wasn’t at the time and we see things very differently now. That’s the crux of the matter and until you accept that? Secondly, so many wrong assertions in your post its tiresome to begin correcting them. Lastly, this is NSC, a football post board so I’m sorry if you were expecting considered essays by reply. It’s more a case of shoot and shoot again isn’t it? Quick fire. Until one or the other has been down and reduced to or off like old Harry. Anyway,
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
    • #75
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      17,351


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Do you really have no self awareness!?
      I do love a rhetorical question.....
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk
    • #76
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Posts
      19,236


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      'Turin'? Next he'll be on another thread slagging off Houghton. Some people just can't let their hate go.....
      I always spell his name wrong too.
    • #77
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      20,859


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Of course, in true NSC style, we’ve strayed well off thread now but you keep mentioning righting a wrong, I keep reminding you it wasn’t at the time and we see things very differently now. That’s the crux of the matter and until you accept that? Secondly, so many wrong assertions in your post its tiresome to begin correcting them. Lastly, this is NSC, a football post board so I’m sorry if you were expecting considered essays by reply. It’s more a case of shoot and shoot again isn’t it? Quick fire. Until one or the other has been down and reduced to or off like old Harry. Anyway,
      Well, its pretty clear you must have air pistols because there is only hot air coming out of them.
    • #78
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      17,351


      0 Not allowed!
      Can the mods rename this thread "Gammon do 'whataboutery' over £50 showing someone not 'one of us'"?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk
    • #79

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      How funny and wrong.

      Like others on here I had to study Turin in depth on my computer science masters. I had no idea about his work during the second world war, it wasn't even mentioned and neither was his conviction.

      He is known as the "Father of Modern Computing" and was the most important mathematicians this country has ever produced.

      Way ahead of his time, his work influenced other computer greats like Von Neumann.

      Because of sexuality his importance was somewhat hidden outside of academia until relatively recently.
      You’ve misunderstood. And misquoted. No one is arguing about his greatness. The fallacy of pardoning people 50, 100, 200 years etc afterwards using a completely different set of values to the time is what makes no sense to me nor many others. No matter who you they were or what they did. It’s a very slippery slope. And increasingly common as we try to right history’s many wrongs.
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
    • #80

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Can the mods rename this thread "Gammon do 'whataboutery' over £50 showing someone not 'one of us'"?
      And maybe clean up the number of gammon musical threads whilst at it?
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •