Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In other words, an utter waste of time. Still, keeps the radical left happy and the radical right annoyed so on balance...yep still a waste of time.
    How funny and wrong.

Like others on here I had to study Turin in depth on my computer science masters. I had no idea about his work during the second world war, it wasn't even mentioned and neither was his conviction.

He is known as the "Father of Modern Computing" and was the most important mathematicians this country has ever produced.

Way ahead of his time, his work influenced other computer greats like Von Neumann.

Because of sexuality his importance was somewhat hidden outside of academia until relatively recently.
    Last edited by clapham_gull; 15-07-2019 at 23:22.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Rivet View Post
      What is your agenda Bold boy? Are you celebrating him for his intelligence and genius? Or his preference for chite shoot? Sorry to be so blunt but I want you to answer. Is it about his achievement or his sexuality? I might have read you wrong but I want other potential posters to be aware this is NOT about sexuality! He was chosen for achievement.
      I've been interested in his intelligence, genius and life story for a long time. Great to see the man celebrated.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
      How funny and wrong.

Like others on here I had to study Turin in depth on my computer science masters. I had no idea about his work during the second world war, it wasn't even mentioned and neither was his conviction.

He is known as the "Father of Modern Computing" and was the most important mathematicians this country has ever produced.
      Actually the 'father of modern computing' was probably Charles Babbage. Turin brilliantly tuned into that early computing.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      I've been interested in his intelligence, genius and life story for a long time. Great to see the man celebrated.
      I admire your patience.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Rivet View Post
      Actually the 'father of modern computing' was probably Charles Babbage. Turin brilliantly tuned into that early computing.
      Rubbish.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      I admire your patience.
      Oooo that is interesting! Patience you say, why?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Rubbish.
      Really?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Ok this thread, another one, yet again, being ruined by people with an agenda. The celebration that is rightly deserved of Alan Turing being honoured is not about anything other than his mental brilliance. It is not about point scoring for posters. I Celebrate Alan Turing. Genius!!!
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      How funny and wrong.

Way ahead of his time, his work influenced other computer greats like Von Neumann.
      Indeed. First I heard about him was via New Scientist in the early 80s. I was stunned by the fact he had done so much and yet was (at the time) unknown. His full story was skirted around at the time. Later (late 80s and into the 90s) when I found out more about him, blimey, what a tragedy and disgrace. Later still I seem to recall some disparaging comments about him in 'Spycatcher' and elsewher. I doubt he was the easiest of colleagues. These days we celebrate diversity (this includes being difficult as well as other phenotypic tangents) and the bloke would be given whatever resources and salary he wanted. The cruelty inflicted on him, by contrast was a national disgrace. Yes, of its time (almost everyone was a bit Swiss Tony cum Bernard Manning in the 50s). Fortunately in our time we have an opportunity to give respect and, if only token, make some amends.

Anyone wanting to nit pick over that can do one, as far as I'm concerned.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      Indeed. First I heard about him was via New Scientist in the early 80s. I was stunned by the fact he had done so much and yet was (at the time) unknown. His full story was skirted around at the time. Later (late 80s and into the 90s) when I found out more about him, blimey, what a tragedy and disgrace. Later still I seem to recall some disparaging comments about him in 'Spycatcher' and elsewher. I doubt he was the easiest of colleagues. These days we celebrate diversity (this includes being difficult as well as other phenotypic tangents) and the bloke would be given whatever resources and salary he wanted. The cruelty inflicted on him, by contrast was a national disgrace. Yes, of its time (almost everyone was a bit Swiss Tony cum Bernard Manning in the 50s). Fortunately in our time we have an opportunity to give respect and, if only token, make some amends.

Anyone wanting to nit pick over that can do one, as far as I'm concerned.
      Oooh you are a precious!