Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Bond's number is up: black female actor 'is the new 007'

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If she is a black, gay and disabled Bond then I’m with it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was under the impression from the report I read that this is the start of the film. Bond 'retired' at the end of the last film, so this film starts with Lashana Lynch using the 007 codename, rather than the film ending with him handing it off to her to take forward. I would suspect that he comes out of retirement either early in the film, or at the end of the film so that the next one is back to James Bond as 007.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
GoldenEye was great.

It was my first Bond film though so that may be affecting my memory.

I appreciate you tend to like Bond films from your era. I love some of the cheesy dross Roger Moore films because of that. I sat and watched Moonraker the other night and it's dated badly to say the least. That said, the Brosnan era is pretty bad and the Craig era brought the franchise back to life for me. Robert Carlyse's bullet in the end that makes him stronger, Coltrane's Russian prostitute accent and the Rupert Murdoch baddie were all naff plot devices before we even get to Jonathan Graves worst ever villian and the invisible car in Die another day.

Give me a Roger Moore raised eyebrow, Connerys charisma or Craig's rebooted Jason Bourne Bond any day of the week. Brosnan looks and sounds like he works at your local Barclays.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have to be honest, having someone "take over" the 007 number as opposed to replacing the Bond character is a genius move. Gets you away from the nightmare of those who refuse to entertain anything other than a white, male, English, Scottish, Irish or Australian actor and those who think otherwise fighting until the end of time.

It basically means they can cast who they want as 007 and change the format as times change.

What is wrong with it being a male british role? FFS, go and invent your own fictional character and build 60 years heritage if don’t like. Stop ****ing with those who like it just as is. Christ almighty, does it mean every character that’s ever been invented, for every story must be ‘role reversed’ just to appease the frankly daft minority on the left extremes. Does my head in. We are obsessed with it in this country.

What next:
Fiona the hobbit on her mission to Mordor?
Larry Tomb-raider
Irene Jones and the Temple of Doom?
Laura of Arabia
Barry the Vampire

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What is wrong with it being a male british role? FFS, go and invent your own fictional character and build 60 years heritage if don’t like. Stop ****ing with those who like it just as is. Christ almighty, does it mean every character that’s ever been invented, for every story must be ‘role reversed’ just to appease the frankly daft minority on the left extremes. Does my head in. We are obsessed with it in this country.

What next:
Larry Tomb-raider
Laura of Arabia
Barry the Vampire

Let the past die, kill it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While Daniel Craig is set to reprise his role as James Bond in the next film, the franchise is set for a shake-up, with reports claiming that black British actor Lashana Lynch has been cast as 007 – taking over Bond’s secret agent number after his character leaves M16.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/15/lashana-lynch-new-007-james-bond-daniel-craig

View attachment 112974

If this is true it is silly. I am a fan of the books more than the films, and the son of a Scottish father and French mother, who smokes Morlands, and likes a bit of rough sex with women with short finger nails, little make up, impudent breasts and narrow buttocks like a boy, can't easily be turned into a woman, in my old and small book. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was under the impression from the report I read that this is the start of the film. Bond 'retired' at the end of the last film, so this film starts with Lashana Lynch using the 007 codename, rather than the film ending with him handing it off to her to take forward. I would suspect that he comes out of retirement either early in the film, or at the end of the film so that the next one is back to James Bond as 007.

OK. That works fine for me. :thumbsup:

Also I have no problem woth Dr Who being a woman because, unlike Bond, Dr Who is a fictional caharater.

Oh.....hang on :wozza:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

That's my reading of it too. I assume he'll come out of retirement for whatever reason (probably related to Blofeld), and DEMAND his squad number back. She'll then get relegated to the bench as 0034.

I'm still OUTRAGED though. Or something.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Bond started to go badly downhill once Connery and Moore stopped playing the role.

If you want to remain faithful to the writer, 007 needs to be a well educated , public school , sophisticated , good looking man who saves the world while flirting with women and having lots of funny one liners. Bit like cary grant. As soon as tough guy actors took over, the humour went and it became just another poor script lots of fighting type film with no charm or style.

If it's not Connery or Moore it's not classic quintessential bond so in my view why bother with 2nd or 3rd best..others may disagree I accept that.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I appreciate you tend to like Bond films from your era. I love some of the cheesy dross Roger Moore films because of that. I sat and watched Moonraker the other night and it's dated badly to say the least. That said, the Brosnan era is pretty bad and the Craig era brought the franchise back to life for me. Robert Carlyse's bullet in the end that makes him stronger, Coltrane's Russian prostitute accent and the Rupert Murdoch baddie were all naff plot devices before we even get to Jonathan Graves worst ever villian and the invisible car in Die another day.

Give me a Roger Moore raised eyebrow, Connerys charisma or Craig's rebooted Jason Bourne Bond any day of the week. Brosnan looks and sounds like he works at your local Barclays.

Yeah I didn't like the other Brosnan films. Essentially for me it went Goldeneye, nothing for years, then the Craig films.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not to worry, soon there will be no lead male characters in anything, for fear of offending the feminazi gangs.

What next? A male Snow White? A female hulk? Endless possibilities.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ian Fleming was going to kill off James Bond anyway.

James Bond isn't going to be female. It's just that he's retiring as 007.

It opens the lead role up to all sorts of different people. I quite like the idea of an all action female. The role has been the same for 50 odd years.

Even a James Bond fanatic friend of mine thinks it's a good idea to move the whole thing on now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

What next:
Larry Tomb-raider
Laura of Arabia
Barry the Vampire

Who says they are messing with it? Essentially, the number has moved to a different character after Bond retired. Unsurprisingly, it's the usual batch of (mostly) men getting furious over a minor change when WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE STORY OF THE FILM IS YET!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't be any worse than Spectre. James Bond films are basically irrelevant in the age of Mission Impossible & the peerless Fast & Furious.

On a serious note I hope they allow her to shag multiple partners in each film though.

Agreed. The comment that each Bond film is 'of it's time' is a good one, (and as someone else pointed out the genre of kick ass female spy films is very current) but the character of 007 has always stayed pretty constant. He's always been a loner, bit anti-authority, and someone who is actually quite cold and uses people with impunity and without a care. A female 007 is fine, but I hope they keep the basic character the same.

EDIT: Just to add I think it's actually quite a neat idea to split the character into '007' and 'James Bond', but I hope 007 isn't all 'woke' and caring and Bond is just the toxic male.

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Interesting and valid points raised on both sides of the argument here.

For me it doesn’t bother me per se, the film makers ran out of original material from Fleming yonks ago so this change in direction is valid from a creativity perspective but whether it remains sensible from a commercial perspective is yet to be seen.

I expect even if it was an excellent film with a plot that ends with JB back in the double 0 status having fallen for the female 007 who heroically dies having taken his heart a la Vespa Lynd then people would on principle not go and see it.

If however it’s a steaming pile of hotspur a la Ghostbusters then it’ll do irrevocable damage to the brand.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Brosnan was an appallingly bad Bond - Remington bloody Steel, no thanks. He makes Moore (and even Lazenby) look like Oscar winners.

Indeed and like Moores films got progressively worse.

However Brosnan was the producers choice BEFORE Dalton and another series of Remington Steele was commissioned so he had fulfil his obligation.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It opens the lead role up to all sorts of different people. I quite like the idea of an all action female. The role has been the same for 50 odd years.

This is my point there are PLENTY of female kick ass spy films out there. James Bond copies if you like. Therefore 007 does not need to be female.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here