Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Bond's number is up: black female actor 'is the new 007'

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Aye.

Have you ever read of the books btw...some of them ( a view to a kill eg) bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the film...the only thing that is the same is 007 and M
Just read a couple of the classics years ago. That doesn't surprise me though.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Personally I don't see why she wasn't just cast as 008 or something similar and then they build a series of films out of that (much like they've done with the Spider-man series). You could easily have had numerous good conflicts out of that between 007 and the new star of MI6. But it's happened now and we may as well just get on with it.

What will be interesting also, from a narrative standpoint, is how they handle a minority character in the role. One of the best things about James Bond (rather than 007 specifically) was his character defaults and the stories that were derived from that. If they don't add similar depth and weakness to the new 007 even though she's from a minority background then that could easily lead to the end of this series of films. I guess we'll find out soon enough how they handle it!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just read a couple of the classics years ago. That doesn't surprise me though.

If you have a kindle, they are about 99p a copy. You only live twice is actually brilliant as is gold finger ( which actually the film sticks very much to the book).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I don't see why she wasn't just cast as 008 or something similar and then they build a series of films out of that (much like they've done with the Spider-man series). You could easily have had numerous good conflicts out of that between 007 and the new star of MI6. But it's happened now and we may as well just get on with it.

What will be interesting also, from a narrative standpoint, is how they handle a minority character in the role. One of the best things about James Bond (rather than 007 specifically) was his character defaults and the stories that were derived from that. If they don't add similar depth and weakness to the new 007 even though she's from a minority background then that could easily lead to the end of this series of films. I guess we'll find out soon enough how they handle it!

I was just waiting to Voldemort, the new M to set a **** off big snake on 007 for being late for a meeting!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not an expert, but are all these films supposed to be prequels to all the Connery etc films? Hence, Blofeld getting scarred and their rivalry starting in the last one. If so then the only consistent outcome is for the new 007 to meet with some sort of sticky end before Bond resumes the role

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd like to see the men fatales on display, sexually sauntering around in their tuxspeedos, oiled and easily forgotten when another semi-devious beefcake appears.
A Jamie Bond might make for a pleasant change in the oft-bland traditions that allow such little development in the character and me to cringe.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
there's a few NSC posters just itching to go full on doomcock

[tweet]1150451802841722881[/tweet]

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Eh? His character is James Bond 007! So if his character leaves MI6, then how can she be the next 007? Unless it means the actor is leaving , which we all know...BUT. 007 has always been a man...ok a man with different faces, but they are all one character.....a woman wouldn’t be right would it!

When star agents get too old, do they retire the shirt?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that this plot twist is a masterstroke, provided they leave the door open for James Bond to return in the future. But even then, what is Bond without the 007? Can you continue to run with both characters?

Personally, I will miss James Bond 007 as he was. Daniel Craig was perfect in the role, but he has reached the end of his lifespan as Bond - and we remember what happens if a Bond actor goes on for too long (Roger Moore - A View To A Kill).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Provided future James Bond films can be as realistic and gritty as Moonraker and stay true to their roots, I'm personally not too bothered about who James Bond or 007 is.

I do wonder if in the new film something quite profound will happen - Daniel Craig, as James Bond, will sleep with Lashana Lynch, as 007, meaning James Bond has slept with 007? The philosophical soul searching that could arise from that happening - Emily Maitlis off Newsnight would definitely have a panel in the studio to discus.

Or will they just leave it as a shimmering sexual tension, akin to his relationship with Miss Moneypenny?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Weird eyebrows. I'd find that permanently and unavoidably distracting.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
No problem with this at all. Unless, like some others have said, they go all Ghostbusters with it.

Only thing I find a bit odd is that I am sure in one of the films they referenced Bonds (now dead) predecessor as 006 which has made me always assume that the next agent would get the next number. Plenty of films have taken bigger deviations so not going to get too hung up on it

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No problem with this at all. Unless, like some others have said, they go all Ghostbusters with it.

Only thing I find a bit odd is that I am sure in one of the films they referenced Bonds (now dead) predecessor as 006 which has made me always assume that the next agent would get the next number. Plenty of films have taken bigger deviations so not going to get too hung up on it

I thought they had a group of 00 agents? Didn't he get called to a meeting of them all in one film?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here