Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Most important [no poll] Ashes or World Cup

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
World Cup for me, certainly after the drama of our win. Ashes is important when the WC isn't on and we aren't winning it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We've won the World Cup.

We've never done that before.

So now it's easy to say that winning the Ashes is more important.

For me, the Ashes is pretty much the best thing in sport. But a World Cup, at home, and what's just happened, well.

We get a crack at the Aussies every couple of years. The opportunity to win a World Cup, with the team we have, with the preparations made over years, and the home advantage..... If we didn't win it this time, when would we, ever?

Put me down as a not sure.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's got to be the World Cup.

WC only comes round every 4 years - Ashes much more frequent.

Never won WC before - won a number of Ashes tours in recent years.

To be the better team out of 2 is good.

To be the best team in the world? There's nothing better.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be honest, in my opinion, I am a bit of a purist and I love the tests. I never watch ODI's when teams come touring on our shores. Well, lie, I did sneak in an ODI game at Lords a couple of years ago. But, after watching this WC from start to finish and barely missing a game I have to say it has really caught my attention. I love the Ashes, I love beating those arrogant f*ckwits, but winning the world cup is a step beyond that, they still have to endure the pain of us winning.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Being able to burn my mortgage and put Ashes in the World Cup (of course, after England wins both the Ashes over Aussie and the World Cup over "the world."

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I was reading a book in the library recently, and it gave the stats that Australia were quite a bit in front of England in terms of Ashes Test wins.

Surprising to me as they started life as a prison colony, but I guess that was always the motivation to beat the poms.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Should have ended the thread title with - Discuss then.

If you had, I wouldn't have even opened it though.

Pretend that you didn't open the thread then. Why do so many posters gain so much pleasure from telling other posters their thread was a lame idea?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was reading a book in the library recently, and it gave the stats that Australia were quite a bit in front of England in terms of Ashes Test wins.

Surprising to me as they started life as a prison colony, but I guess that was always the motivation to beat the poms.

Australians All let us rejoice for we are young and free (from Ashes matches looses)

theboybilly

The Ashes for me. Test Matches are almost always more absorbing with different tactics coming into play over those long weekends often dictated by the weather as much as the opposition. The WC Final was great entertainment but cricket is so much better than to be restricted to 50 overs or less. If the Americans don't take to a sport than that's always a good sign for me too.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A home World Cup, on free-to-air TV, won in that fashion, watched by millions (instead of the hundreds of thousands on Sky), inspiring a whole new generation. No competition.

Any other situation, the Ashes every day of the week.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If the Americans don't take to a sport than that's always a good sign for me too.

The Cricket is NOT quiet in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AamJFpALjM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_national_cricket_team

the United States of America Cricket Association (USACA), which became an associate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 1965. However, the organization was expelled in 2017 following the ICC's concerns about the USACA's governance and finances. In September 2017, ICC Americas announced that a newly formed governing body, known as USA Cricket would take over the team and governance of the sport in the US, starting in 2018.[6] Until the board is established, the team will be run by ICC Americas administrators. On December 18, 2017 a new constitution was approved for the USA Cricket and elections took place in 2018.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Will always be the Ashes, it brings out the best and worst in both teams.
Can’t wait, though sleep patterns are going to be well and truly stuffed up.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Ashes. Proper cricket innit*. Only one got a open-top bus parade, after all.

* And also because I was there in 2005.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just wonder if views are dictated by England winning the World Cup yesterday and the manner in which they won it.
Would views have been the same in all the years from the mid 70s when the World Cup started and for most of the time the England cricket team were very much like the national football team and failed dismally.
Was the World Cup win as good as Bothams Ashes series or the 2005 series.

Yes the World Cup was fun, stressful and ultimately rewarding, but the Ashes remains the better and more important, as I believe that the longer form of the game remains the ultimate test,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here