Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Anybody been to Vienna?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Off to Vienna in a few weeks - can the great and good of NSC recommend any decent restaurants, bars and attractions to visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It means nothing to me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Visit the castle and Zoo we were also lucky we saw Rapid Vienna playing a mid-week game. Area around the stadium has excellent walks. Extremely good modern art museum.

Giant wheel is good and an observation tower further out in the suburbs.

Go and see the horses practising their moves for free, lunch every day was giant (proper) hot dog, cheesy sausages.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Visit the castle and Zoo we were also lucky we saw Rapid Vienna playing a mid-week game. Area around the stadium has excellent walks. Extremely good modern art museum.

Giant wheel is good and an observation tower further out in the suburbs.

Go and see the horses practising their moves for free, lunch every day was giant (proper) hot dog, cheesy sausages.

Thanks BH, I’ve managed to snag a couple of tickets for Rapid v Red Bulk Salzburg so far

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Take out a loan. It’s bloody expensive

Really ?

We went for 5 nights in 2015 and thought everything was reasonably priced for a European Capital

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Hitler was born in Vienna.
We went on a very interesting walking tour with a guide who went through his early life and saw all the places he was involved in.
Shocked to hear that to this day 2 cops have to guard the central synagogue day and night.

Suggest you buy pass for the trams whilst there. Get you all around the city.

If you like classical music (after all it is Vienna) then you can go to a dinner/concert. Not cheap but worth it if your thing.

Went to Spanish horses. Myself and brother in law found it boring, but as wives seemed to be enjoying it, us two sloped off for a drink.

It is a very interesting city and recommend to anyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Went about 15 years ago. Booked well in advance for the Spanish Riding School (treat for the wife) and also did the Schonbrunn Palace.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Thanks for all your advice - will book a lot of these ideas up tomorrow [emoji106]

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We were there for 3 nights. Restaurant wise depends on your budget and your taste. First night we went to Carmen und Ich. It's a bar/restaurant, mainly locals and in an urban area. Run by Carmen, she's lovely, food is traditional Austrian and has a menu in English if you need it. Huge food portions, cheap and cheerful. Good Stiegel beer.

Second night we went to a pizza place called Via Toledo Enopizzeria. One of the best pizzas I've had even when in Italy. Its in Josefstadt and again, not that expensive, but a good atmosphere.

Third we went to Marienhof in Josefstadt. Traditional Austrian, English menu, excellent selection of wines. Situated in a courtyard, nice and cool, chilled out atmosphere. We were there for 3 hours, didn't get rushed, big portions, so plenty of time to digest and be ready for the next course. 3 courses, several drinks came to €60. The only complaint people have is the lack of staff, but we were happy to chill out and they were attentive when we needed them.

Tourist wise, depends what you want. Definitely visit Schonbrunn Palace and get the ticket that includes the Gloriette. Glorious views of Vienna. We left it til the afternoon, got there for 2pm had loads of time to look around and got to the Gloriette viewing platform for 4pm and there were a lot fewer people around. Was very pleasant.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Find a nice coffee house and order industrial quantities of strudel with cream all weekend before exploding on the plane. This is essentially what we did. Still the only airport terminal I’ve been to with an adult sex shop in, complete with fly strips donning the entrance for extra seediness! Bizarre.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Find a nice coffee house and order industrial quantities of strudel with cream all weekend before exploding on the plane. This is essentially what we did. Still the only airport terminal I’ve been to with an adult sex shop in, complete with fly strips donning the entrance for extra seediness! Bizarre.

Apologies for hijacking thread.
Have you been to the new exhibition at Hughenden yet?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here