Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Why Swedes are inserting microchips into their bodies

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, would you?

ON SOME Swedish trains, passengers carry their e-tickets in their hands—literally. About 3,000 Swedes have opted to insert grain-of-rice-sized microchips beneath the skin between their thumbs and index fingers. The chips, which cost around $150, can hold personal details, credit-card numbers and medical records.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2018/08/02/why-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-into-their-bodies

Sorry here's a non paywall article

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...rg-rfid-chips-biohackers-biohax-a8601601.html

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Start of a VERY slippery slope. Government enforcement next 'to stop terrorism' or some such BS.

NEVER to answer your question.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Up to the individual I'd say. Personally a no for me, but each to their own.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This story was the opening segment of this weeks hugely popular QI spin off podcast 'No Such Thing As A Fish'.

They went on to say, one fella took the important bit out of his Oyster Card and inserted it into his wand (magic - not a euphemism).
He could then go through train barriers after casting a spell.

Complete tosser - but you've got to admire the dedication.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This story was the opening segment of this weeks hugely popular QI spin off podcast 'No Such Thing As A Fish'.

They went on to say, one fella took the important bit out of his Oyster Card and inserted it into his wand (magic - not a euphemism).

Bit crap for topping up on machines though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would be interesting if they could track chipped people on bikes going through red lights.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Not saying it doesn’t exist but I’ve never heard of it. Can’t be SL, the Stockholm public transport, as they couldn’t arrange a piss up in a brewery let alone that.

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds

There's a geezer in Leeds who does this - mid-thirties, wears a suit to work. Many a time i've been stood in a queue behind him whilst the **** is pointing a wand at the ticket barrier.

In answer to the other question, i'd absolutely be up for it. It's this generation's ID card discussion - I think it definitely makes sense.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I find it hilarious that people are extremely against this, when they have personal computers in their homes, and carry mobile phones with them most of the time. Anybody scared of their private details being known, or them being tracked, I can learn all of that from your phone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it hilarious that people are extremely against this, when they have personal computers in their homes, and carry mobile phones with them most of the time. Anybody scared of their private details being known, or them being tracked, I can learn all of that from your phone.

Whist asking Google or Amazon to listen in on their every word.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Not without my fingerprint you can’t. Which opens up another issue, has anyone had a digit removed for illegal phone use yet? And what if you were a pretty damn rich person, would criminals be able to remove your chip somehow?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here