Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102
  1. #91

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely not true. Women EARN less, they are not paid less. That has been illegal since the 1970s. One of the greatest Feminist myths of our time. It has been analysed to death, check out 'The factual feminist' for the expert analysis of this.
    A huge number of jobs don't have a standard hourly rate, so I think arguing over the semantics is a bit pointless. The fact is that the vast majority of high paid execs are men. And woman are consistently paid less than men for the same job title. You can argue forever about why those men might be 'worth' more, but ultimately something is not right with this scenario. Perhaps it's something early on in the system that impacts this, but frankly, I think it's quite possible that there is inherent gender bias at play.

    I see this as a similar argument to why there are more* black people in prison than white people - it's not because the colour of your skin makes you more predisposed to criminal endeavour, but rather the higher likelihood of a deprived upbringing. In this way, a person's gender does not impact their capability to do practically any job.

    *As a %, vs %ethnicity of population

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #92

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So what ? That’s as relevant as talking about a boxing match.....no idea when it starts how long it’s going to last.
      I think we could predict what would happen if people started getting paid based on how long something took

      Just like when solicitors and the like were paid based on word/letter count. You end up with lots of henceforth's and therewith's to pad things out!
    • #93
      Members
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lewisham
      Posts
      1,196


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I am pretty sure that those top female athletes could play 5 set matches, in fact it could be considered pretty patronising to suggest they couldn't.
      I wonder why itís only 3 sets in the womenís game. Does this happen in any other sport?
    • #94
      On the road... Driver8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      North Wales
      Posts
      12,635


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I wonder why itís only 3 sets in the womenís game. Does this happen in any other sport?
      Arenít womenís golf holes shorter? I think their cricket balls are smaller too.
    • #95

      0 Not allowed!
      As a big tennis fan myself I do understand why you would think it seems unfair, men are essentially having to work more hours for the same pay but you must realise a lot more goes into tennis than just the matches you see, sure Halep received the same money for a 1 hour demolition of Serena as Novak got for his nye on 5 hour epic against Federer but really, if you factor in the work the athletes put in not just the time taken to win matches, Iím sure the difference is negligible.

      The debate about women playing 5 sets really is a non starter as well, youíd have 2 generations of players who have bodies conditioned to playing 3 sets having their bodies physically destroyed, even the men only play 5 sets at several events for that exact reason.
    • #96
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      17,029


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hart's shirt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Women's Final - 56 minutes
      6-2, 6-2

      Men's Final - 4 hours 57 minutes
      7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 13-12 (7-3)
      Exactly. The women's game is over much quicker meaning that everybody can go and do something more interesting. Give 'em a bonus I say. In fact the two men should have their pay halved and given to the women for boring the arses off everybody. Five hours watching a ball being patted over a net! Formula One I take it all back.

    • #97
      LUZZING chairs about Wilko's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2003
      Location
      BN1
      Posts
      9,688


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by FatSuperman View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      A huge number of jobs don't have a standard hourly rate, so I think arguing over the semantics is a bit pointless. The fact is that the vast majority of high paid execs are men. And woman are consistently paid less than men for the same job title. You can argue forever about why those men might be 'worth' more, but ultimately something is not right with this scenario. Perhaps it's something early on in the system that impacts this, but frankly, I think it's quite possible that there is inherent gender bias at play.

      I see this as a similar argument to why there are more* black people in prison than white people - it's not because the colour of your skin makes you more predisposed to criminal endeavour, but rather the higher likelihood of a deprived upbringing. In this way, a person's gender does not impact their capability to do practically any job.

      *As a %, vs %ethnicity of population
      I would say arguing over the semantics is VERY important rather than pointless because saying men earn more than women is correct. Saying men get paid more than women is where misinterpretation and arguments over unfairness come from. I agree with everything else you say that there is something very wrong with the system where the hierarchy of power is skewed heavily towards men in terms of positions of power. What is not helpful however is for people to continually push the line that 'men are paid more than women', they are not (I mean in the UK, unequal pay certainly does occur in some countries) and if they are then report the company ASAP. If we are going to progress in the pay discussion as a society then the first thing needed is to eradicate the myth.
    • #98
      Fingerlickin good Nigella's Cream Pie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      Up your alley
      Posts
      964


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So what ? Thatís as relevant as talking about a boxing match.....no idea when it starts how long itís going to last.
      What's for certain is that men's matches take longer than women's, the 5 hour v. 1 hour finals this year was nothing really out of the ordinary.
    • #99
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      26,353


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nigella's Cream Pie View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What's for certain is that men's matches take longer than women's, the 5 hour v. 1 hour finals this year was nothing really out of the ordinary.
      Nope. Both could easily be three setters. Likely perhaps but not certain.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
    • #100

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by DumLum View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Women fill all the seats so deserve the same money.
      Well Serena certainly does, thatís for sure!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •