Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 448491929394959697104 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    It's cricket. There are always a million ifs and buts. As this thread has proved, you can go back to loads of decisions where a run out two might have been given either way.
    I've just returned to this debate, and was surprised at the number of people who feel that a 5 should have been awarded and not 6. It's not about poor umpiring decisions it's about umpires not understanding the rules.
    The umpires could just say sorry when the ball was thrown we thought the batsmen had crossed.
    Now that more & more people are understanding that awarding 6 was incorrect, it'll be interesting to see if the ICC or who ever issue a statement, or just remain silent..
    Newton's Third Law of Motion:

III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The assumption appears to be that the umpires on the field didn't know the rule properly and made a mistake, not that they knew the rule and interrupted it the same as you have and applied it consistently as they have in other matches. No one else seems to have made a proper statement on it other than an Aussie, and they can hardly be trusted now can they!
      I read in the 16 page section on the cricket world cup in The Times today that The ICC have declined to comment on this but The MCC, of which Taufel is obviously on the laws committee of, have been approached for comment. I feel the conjecture on here could do with a statement from them on it.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by colinz View Post
      I've just returned to this debate, and was surprised at the number of people who feel that a 5 should have been awarded and not 6. It's not about poor umpiring decisions it's about umpires not understanding the rules.
      The umpires could just say sorry when the ball was thrown we thought the batsmen had crossed.
      Now that more & more people are understanding that awarding 6 was incorrect, it'll be interesting to see if the ICC or who ever issue a statement, or just remain silent..
      FFS.
      "I never mentioned horses!"

0 Not allowed!
      I think you have to define the meaning of 'act' https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/act

To me the 'act' would be throwing the ball.
      Although I maintain that it's not crystal clear what the 'act' means, I accept there's a good chance they meant for it to only mean a wilful act. It doesn't matter though, as the other point I've discussed is clearer, and means that 6 runs was correct anyway.

I've watched games before when the team's overall score can be changed after the completion of the innings.. If during the innings a 4 has been scored but 2 runs added if the match referee believes it was a 6 and vice versa.
      Have you ever seen that done for the chasing side, where they've won by 1 run, and then they've recalculated and said they lost by 1 run? That would be completely unacceptable, given that they'd timed their runs according to what the umpires (and therefore scoreboard) told them they needed.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

0 Not allowed!
      Now that more & more people are understanding that awarding 6 was incorrect
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Although I maintain that it's not crystal clear what the 'act' means, I accept there's a good chance they meant for it to only mean a wilful act. It doesn't matter though, as the other point I've discussed is clearer, and means that 6 runs was correct anyway.
      6 runs was not correct because the batsman had not crossed at the time of the act (throw).

Have you ever seen that done for the chasing side, where they've won by 1 run, and then they've recalculated and said they lost by 1 run? That would be completely unacceptable, given that they'd timed their runs according to what the umpires (and therefore scoreboard) told them they needed.
      No I've never seen a chasing side have their score reduced when they've won by a run. Were talking about a 0ne in 10,000 chance of these things happening.
      I think what happened on Sunday will never happen again in our lifetime.
      Newton's Third Law of Motion:

III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      Give up mate, you are just making a fool of yourself.
      That's unfair, it's perfectly reasonable to chew over the bones of the game like this. This thread is naturally partizan and not representative of the cricket community as a whole!

England rode their luck big time on Sunday and a lot of key decisions went their way. To me, the celebrations were muted. They know they got away with one there.

1 Not allowed!
      6 runs was not correct because the batsman had not crossed at the time of the act (throw).

No I've never seen a chasing side have their score reduced when they've won by a run. Were talking about a 0ne in 10,000 chance of these things happening.
      I think what happened on Sunday will never happen again in our lifetime.
      So shut up about it then
      “FROM the towns all Inns have been driven: from the villages most. . . . Change your hearts or you will lose your Inns and you will deserve to have lost them. But when you have lost your Inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”

0 Not allowed!
      No, 6 runs was correct, because they didn't need to have crossed at the time of the throw:

any runs for penalties awarded to either side = 0
      and the allowance for the boundary = 4
      and the runs completed by the batsmen, = 2
      together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act = 0
      Total = 6

0 Not allowed!
      The King of Spain had it right on the beeb this morning..

“Whether it was 5 runs or 6 is debatable, what isn’t is that we have the World Cup, and we’re not giving it back”

Here endeth the lesson.
      I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.