Page 103 of 115 FirstFirst ... 35393100101102103104105106113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1148

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are from the MCC's e-learning for umpires and others. The top one is the main slide, the other two are the transcript of the video referred to.

Attachment 113055
    Attachment 113056
    Attachment 113057

MCC clearly state that completed runs means 'all runs completed BEFORE the instance of the throw', and that the run in progress means the one taking place AT the instance of the throw.

The interpretation by MCC for umpires is clearly "The runs scored before the fielder released the ball are counted, as well as the runs awarded for the boundary". Nothing whatsoever about a 'completed run' being after the fielder released the ball. If we are arguing purely about the 'throw' - then it should have been five runs, wherever the comma is placed. If we are arguing about the 'act' being the hitting of Stokes' bat - then that is a nonsense as 'act' is referring back to the only other mention of 'act' in the law, which is a wilful act by the fielder.

Not sure we can really argue this much more either way. MCC set the laws, and this is their guidance.
    I’ve not followed the ‘controversy’ on this thread or the media - but they’d both just started the run when the throw came in so 6 wa correct yeh?

Even if it should have been 5 it most definitely doesn’t mean NZ would have won either. (Different scenario affects shot selection at end).
    Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
    May 2016

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geestar View Post
      And people were saying it was a bigger world cup win than the rugby

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
      Of course it is. It's cricket.
      "I never mentioned horses!"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      The fact you state, that the sub committee member has asked the MCC to state what the law means, is proof of ambiguity. The postulation continues.
      The Times said they've approached The MCC for comment. All they did in regards to Taufel's actual remarks is just report what he'd said, they didn't say he was right or wrong. I see The Cricketer magazine has done exactly the same thing too.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      The fact you state, that the sub committee member has asked the MCC to state what the law means, is proof of ambiguity. The postulation continues.
      Quote Originally Posted by ManOfSussex View Post
      We can't. The on-field umpires made their decision which stands and a member of The MCC Laws sub-committee disagreed with it.

As arguably the doyen of cricketing newspapers The Times this morning didn't either and merely reported MCC Laws sub-committee member Taufel's remarks and stated they've approached The MCC for further comment, I'm more interested in the response now, if any, of The Marleybone Cricket Club to The Times of London and others for clarification on a matter of the laws of the game than the continuing postulation on here.
      Quote Originally Posted by ManOfSussex View Post
      The Times said they've approached The MCC for comment. All they did in regards to Taufel's actual remarks is just report what he'd said, they didn't say he was right or wrong. I see The Cricketer magazine has done exactly the same thing too.
      They are postulating in between counting the ££££££s.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sheebo View Post
      Don’t get the need for anyone to compare these things - it cannot be and shouldn’t be compared to anything... Muxh like the whole club v country tosh - they’re 2 completely separate things!
      It's two sporting world cups won by the same country.....hardly 'completely separate things'

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geestar View Post
      It's two sporting world cups won by the same country.....hardly 'completely separate things'

One sport is cricket, one is Rugby Union. What is the need to possibly compare which is bigger?! They were both great
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016

2 Not allowed!
      One sport is cricket, one is Rugby Union. What is the need to possibly compare which is bigger?! They were both great
      The cricket world cup trophy is 600mm tall and weighs 11 kg. The Webb Ellis Trophy for rugby is 282mm tall and weighs 4.5kgs. So that is a definitive answer to which one is bigger.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      I’ve not followed the ‘controversy’ on this thread or the media - but they’d both just started the run when the throw came in so 6 wa correct yeh?

Even if it should have been 5 it most definitely doesn’t mean NZ would have won either. (Different scenario affects shot selection at end).
      A run is only a run once the batsmen have crossed, thus the controversy. Frankly, the last ball was a rank full toss against the best hitter in the game. It would've left the ground had we needed 3 to win. Stokes only bunted it to make sure we didn't lose the game.

Ultimately, the game is played live, in the moment, not in retrospect. The action was so full on that you could argue a million little things changed the game, not just a single run. New Zealand had the opportunity the previous over when Boult stood on the rope - it didn't work out. They also needed 3 runs to win from 2 balls in the super over. Had Neesham not shanked the (great) bouncer by Jofra, it would've been New Zealand's game.

I think NZ have every right to be a bit upset about losing by boundaries (it skews the match to the chasing team, just like wickets skews it to the team batting first) but to say that it was down to an umpire's mistake is wrong.
      "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      A run is only a run once the batsmen have crossed, thus the controversy. Frankly, the last ball was a rank full toss against the best hitter in the game. It would've left the ground had we needed 3 to win. Stokes only bunted it to make sure we didn't lose the game.

Ultimately, the game is played live, in the moment, not in retrospect. The action was so full on that you could argue a million little things changed the game, not just a single run. New Zealand had the opportunity the previous over when Boult stood on the rope - it didn't work out. They also needed 3 runs to win from 2 balls in the super over. Had Neesham not shanked the (great) bouncer by Jofra, it would've been New Zealand's game.

I think NZ have every right to be a bit upset about losing by boundaries (it skews the match to the chasing team, just like wickets skews it to the team batting first) but to say that it was down to an umpire's mistake is wrong.
      Concise and correct.
      "I never mentioned horses!"

3 Not allowed!
      Honestly who cares. We’re world champions.
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"