Page 101 of 115 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1148
  1. #1001
    Members
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Haywards Heath
    Posts
    72,324


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The act is nothing to do with the ball hitting the bat. The rule heading is overthrow or wilful act of a fielder. How is the ball hitting the bat the wilful act of a fielder?
    That is my view that it was a freak that could never have been foreseen.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #1002
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      44,481


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I get why it's being discussed, it's just a shame it couldn't have been a sub-thread, instead of turning this one into a boring, drawn-out point-scoring exercise.
      Yes, sorry. But they started it
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #1003
      Glory hunting since 1969 lawros left foot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      10,082


      1 Not allowed!
      I was talking to a New Zealander lady this morning, she was of the opinion that these things happen in sport. She was disappointed that they lost, but was quite philosophical about the whole thing.

      And, like me, she wished either team could have beaten the Aussies like that, but, did say it wouldn't have happened, cos the convicts would have cheated to get the win.
      You be glad you be Sussex born!

      STAYING ALERT!!
    • #1004
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Posts
      10,936


      0 Not allowed!
      Century up 101 pages.
    • #1005

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'll be glad when we move on from this and its all forgotten. After all no one mentions the ball hitting the crossbar in 1966 anymore do they......

      The issue with 5/6 runs is clearly an anomaly in the rules and I expect the ICC to tidy it up ASAP, I suspect they will either call the ball dead when it hits the batsman, or amend the rules to say that 2 runs would have been the correct outcome in that instance.

      They will surely amend the rules of the Super Over too as the most boundaries is a little weird, either make it least wickets lost in the game, or another over where anyone who has already batted or bowled can't be used again (unless they go all the way around the team).
      A bowling penalty shoot out ?

      Two nominated batsman on each team. Everyone else bowls one ball alternating five times.

      If the scores are level after five balls it goes to sudden death.

      If still level after ten it goes to the team who have the batsman with the biggest willy.
      'I've been forbidden from announcing anymore targets or deadlines'
    • #1006

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Century up 101 pages.
      The thread has a reserve day.
      'I've been forbidden from announcing anymore targets or deadlines'
    • #1007
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      44,481


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      the rule refers to completed runs and any run in progress provided they had crossed at the time of the throw
      Interesting that you've removed the comma. Miss-quoting the rule isn't going to actually change it.

      They had only completed one run at the time of the throw
      Which is irrelevant, as already explained.
      Reference to the ball only being dead when it hits the ropes is irrelevant as it is not included in this rule.
      The ball being dead is implicit in most of the rules. 'Completed runs' is a common term in the rules, and unless stated otherwise, it means completed before the ball is dead.

      I would suggest this rule mirrors what happens when a batsman hits a boundary. In other words when a batsman hits the ball, they may run two runs before it crosses the boundary. Triggaar, how many runs will the umpire give them?
      That's a handy question, as it re-enforces my point. Before the rule about overthrows is the rule "Runs scored from boundaries". It says that (except for the circumstances we're discussing) "the batting side shall be awarded whichever is the greater of
      the allowance for the boundary
      the runs completed by the batsmen together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant the boundary is scored."

      Note that in this rule, they have not used the comma. That is because both completed runs AND runs in progress are limited the instant the boundary is scored.

      The very next rule says almost the same thing (in that particular sentence), but adds the comma. Why would they add a comma? Because the timing of the throw only applies to runs in progress, it does not apply to completed runs.

      I feel it's appropriate to add my victory dance at this point:



      Fourthly, the ICC have stated they will not comment. In other words the umpires made the decision and it stands. That doesn't mean they are saying it was correct.
      Agreed - they're not commenting, so they're not saying it was correct or incorrect. I didn't claim they were saying it was correct. Why are you saying 'Fourthly', as if it in any way backs up your argument?
      Last edited by Triggaaar; 16-07-2019 at 17:37.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #1008
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      44,481


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The ambiguity is whether the throw 1 + 4, or act creating the overthrow i.e. hitting the bat 2 + 4.
      Keep up at the back. Although you can tell from reading posts here that the 'act' is not clearly described (whether it's a wilful act, or the act creating the overthrow (ie hitting the bat), it doesn't matter either way, it's still 2 + 4.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #1009
      Members sheebo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      20,854


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geestar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      And people were saying it was a bigger world cup win than the rugby

      Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
      Don’t get the need for anyone to compare these things - it cannot be and shouldn’t be compared to anything... Muxh like the whole club v country tosh - they’re 2 completely separate things!
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

      Inigo Calderon
      May 2016
    • #1010
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      17,509


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Keep up at the back. Although you can tell from reading posts here that the 'act' is not clearly described (whether it's a wilful act, or the act creating the overthrow (ie hitting the bat), it doesn't matter either way, it's still 2 + 4.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •