Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I can't believe that colinz is still whining this morning, beginning to think he's an Aussie.

How do you know ?

OK the throw is released before they cross, the ball hits the bat before Stokes is in his crease. Can something accidental be described as an act ? an act infers intent.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How do you know ?

OK the throw is released before they cross, the ball hits the bat before Stokes is in his crease. Can something accidental be described as an act ? an act infers intent.

Can't you just stop your whining, accept the result and get on with your day? A coronary in waiting going on here.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The only people being bitter about this on the internet as far as i can tell are Australians, Indians and Colinz.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
The only people being bitter about this on the internet as far as i can tell are Australians, Indians and Colinz.

You obviously are not tuned into any New Zealand radio stations.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes we did

No you didn't. it's ambiguous as cricinfo point out.

According to Law 19.8, pertaining to "Overthrow or wilful act of fielder", it would appear that England's second on-field run should not have counted, making it a total of five runs for the incident, not six.

The law states: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

The crucial clause is the last part. A review of the footage of the incident shows clearly that, at the moment the ball was released by the New Zealand fielder, Martin Guptill, Stokes and his partner, Adil Rashid, had not yet crossed for their second run.

There is potential scope for ambiguity in the wording of the law, given that it references throw or "act", which may pertain to the moment that the ball deflected off Stokes' bat too. However, there is no reference to the batsman's actions at any other point in the words.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
The Queen has started an online petition on her Facebook page to award the Game to NZ for losing less wickets rather than team with most boundaries.

You could sign that. It’s no less an injustice than when the great Englishman Edmund Hillary said he was first man on the top of Everest when it was actually Sherpa Tenzing.

The great Englishman Edmund Hilary! Oh my, have I been wooshed? If not that is rather an ironic mistake to make there, Knocky!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
New Zealand actually won the game by one run. ...................................... .
Stop right there -the rest of the post (apart from the bit about Hilary) is invalidated because you've got the fundamental fact wrong.

We won by one run. (plus lost less wickets)
Sigh. No, you didn't.

Yes we did
Obviously stayed up too late - you should have gone to bed earlier, before making a complete tit of yourself.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

According to Law 19.8, pertaining to "Overthrow or wilful act of fielder", it would appear that England's second on-field run should not have counted, making it a total of five runs for the incident, not six.

The law states: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

The crucial clause is the last part. A review of the footage of the incident shows clearly that, at the moment the ball was released by the New Zealand fielder, Martin Guptill, Stokes and his partner, Adil Rashid, had not yet crossed for their second run.

There is potential scope for ambiguity in the wording of the law, given that it references throw or "act", which may pertain to the moment that the ball deflected off Stokes' bat too. However, there is no reference to the batsman's actions at any other point in the words.

Thanks that's very interesting, Stokes is not the fielder and I suppose an act could be exampled by kicking the ball as opposed to throwing.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Stop right there -the rest of the post (apart from the bit about Hilary) is invalidated because you've got the fundamental fact wrong.

Sigh. No, you didn't.

Obviously stayed up too late - you should have gone to bed earlier, before making a complete tit of yourself.

To quote another poster's signature, "I don't get over things easily" I'm suffering May 1978 deja vu

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
New Zealand actually won the game by one run.

Even if that was the case, then Stokes would have played the last balls differently than he did. Knowing he'd save the game with a single, he played for safety as it was. Had he needed 3 to win, 2 to save it, he'd have gone for a different shot off the last ball.

I think he premeditated he was going to just hit it to ensure he got 1 run. Had the scorers made it a 5 as you are arguing, then thereafter is a different hypothetical situation. He wouldn't have played the shot he played because the match situation would have been different. So we'll never know what would have happened if it had been called a 5.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just this moment been speaking to a mate who works for Sky sport, they all say it was a 5.

I know Dickie Bird and your point

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Pointless argument.

For starters decision has been made, secondly if 5 runs had been awarded how does that mean NZ won ?

With 2 balls remaining if we had required 4 rather than 3 do you think we would have taken two singles ? Of course not .. Stokes would have certainly played different shots for the last 2 balls in that situation. You can’t claim because a decision was incorrect that it means NZ won... unless it has happened off the last ball (which it didn’t)

You can argue all day if you like about whether it was 5 or 6 runs but you can’t claim that NZ won.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Even if that was the case, then Stokes would have played the last balls differently than he did. Knowing he'd save the game with a single, he played for safety as it was. Had he needed 3 to win, 2 to save it, he'd have gone for a different shot off the last ball.

I think he premeditated he was going to just hit it to ensure he got 1 run. Had the scorers made it a 5 as you are arguing, then thereafter is a different hypothetical situation. He wouldn't have played the shot he played because the match situation would have been different. So we'll never know what would have happened if it had been called a 5.

Beat me to it !!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No further questions your honour, case dismissed. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here