Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
WOW! Just ****ing wow.

BEST ONE DAY CRICKET MATCH EVER

Glad to have been alive and witnessed that.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Fantastic result but boy if that was written as script no one would believe it, I really thought England who were pre World Cup favourites had mucked it up earlier in the rounds but rallied and made a final where they were due to meet India however New Zeland had not read the script the final what a game both teams gave it their all a fag paper between them who ever one won would be worthy winners

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I thought New Zealand were the better team today , but we were the better team through the tournament, New Zealand so unlucky today , feels a bit like a hollow victory

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The final could easily have been won by both teams obviously. However, England were the best team overall throughout the tournament, and on that basis deserve their status as Champions of the World.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Imagine being in his shoes, knowing that for the rest of his career, his LIFE, he'd have been known as the guy who blew the 2019 World Cup.
Are you going to remember Stokes as the guy who blew the 20-20 world cup, or the guy who dragged us over the line for the one day world cup (or for punching someone)?

Of course you're right, it was massive pressure and would have been a big burden, but no guarantee he'd always be remembered for that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I felt my heart in those final overs and it was pounding. I think I've only just calmed down

What a game that was. Well done England but feel sorry for the Kiwis, sporting losers. I can't begin to imagine what the Aussies would have been like if they'd lost like that

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its on days like these that I really do feel sorry for people who don't "do" sport. Its human drama that goes down in history, and its real.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought New Zealand were the better team today , but we were the better team through the tournament, New Zealand so unlucky today , feels a bit like a hollow victory
I'd go along with that, except the last point. We did need a bit of luck to get there, but then New Zealand got the luck with the toss, and it certainly looks like it was best to bat first.

It's a fair win, that was extremely hard fought. No one deserved to lose, but that doesn't make it hollow.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Are you going to remember Stokes as the guy who blew the 20-20 world cup, or the guy who dragged us over the line for the one day world cup (or for punching someone)?

Of course you're right, it was massive pressure and would have been a big burden, but no guarantee he'd always be remembered for that.

He can punch whoever he likes now, he's at Botham status.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Although I'm England, sport is cruel
Too painful for the losers as it is all about the winning which is everything and even worse when it is extremely fine margins
Really feel for the Kiwis who don't seem to have any tossers in their team
Think I would have enjoyed the after victory more if the margins had been wider
What a game though with the many twists and turns

Good points, well made.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

There is no BUT.

England posted 15 on their over. If Archer had conceded the World Cup from that position, then yeah, he would've been "that guy". Thats just whats remembered. I'm not saying its right, but its like a caveat in your mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is no BUT.

England posted 15 on their over. If Archer had conceded the World Cup from that position, then yeah, he would've been "that guy". Thats just whats remembered. I'm not saying its right, but its like a caveat in your mind.
Stokes gave away 18 runs in 3 balls in our last over against the West Indies. He was 'that guy'. But that's not how he's going to be remembered now is it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd go along with that, except the last point. We did need a bit of luck to get there, but then New Zealand got the luck with the toss, and it certainly looks like it was best to bat first.

It's a fair win, that was extremely hard fought. No one deserved to lose, but that doesn't make it hollow.

Nicely summed up chap.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

The match did reach the point where no team deserved to lose. That has been said before of course, in many sports, but never to this extremity. I think, because of that, the English team didn't celebrate as wholeheartedly as they would have done if they had won convincingly. They came over slightly awkward in their celebrations which is to their credit. The Aussies wouldn't have held back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here