Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
In my total ignorance, I actually thought that we'd lost when they took our 10th wicket with that runout. I didn't even know "super overs" existed. Never seen it.

That was probably the greatest sporting theatre I have ever seen. Utterly incredible.
It's beaten the Ryder Cup, miracle of Medinah as the greatest thing in sport I've ever seen.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'd go along with that, except the last point. We did need a bit of luck to get there, but then New Zealand got the luck with the toss, and it certainly looks like it was best to bat first.

It's a fair win, that was extremely hard fought. No one deserved to lose, but that doesn't make it hollow.

Absolutely this.
Plenty of valiant losses by English teams over the years.

This one went our way. Enjoy every last second of it

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Huge moment for the sport in the UK. Edgbaston in 2005 changed the game completely, think Stokes and Archer et al.. might have just saved the game from its own bubble. Thank god for Channel 4, let's get the game back on it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Southeast News on BBC1 … Sussex legend Jofra Archer helped England win the world cup … Typical lazy BBC reporting. Since when did a guy who's only played a handful of games for the county become a legend?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I take your point. But I have NEVER seen a World Cup boil down to what we saw today. That was quite unprecedented. I was literally chewing my fist at every Archer delivery, and that over he bowled will go down in history. It delivered the trophy and made us World Champions. That was a life-defining over for the fella, and I will forever be in awe at the bollocks that took.

That was like taking a penalty shootout - on your own.

Could have gone to pieces after the wide and 6.. I fully expected a wide to hand the game to the Kiwis.
kept his nerve..
Legend

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Southeast News on BBC1 … Sussex legend Jofra Archer helped England win the world cup … Typical lazy BBC reporting. Since when did a guy who's only played a handful of games for the county become a legend?

He was in a world cup winning team and he is a Sussex player... legend, stop knit picking.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Village and small town teams (which are the lifeblood of this sport) have been losing players and interest, this will hopefully change that. Players like Stokes and Buttler are making the game fun again. Pairs formats and a change in ECB coaching focus will hopefully bring the kids back.
Football actually needs to politely **** off out of the cricket season though please. 10th August, seriously? Ridiculous.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Village and small town teams (which are the lifeblood of this sport) have been losing players and interest, this will hopefully change that. Players like Stokes and Buttler are making the game fun again. Pairs formats and a change in ECB coaching focus will hopefully bring the kids back.
Football actually needs to politely **** off out of the cricket season though please. 10th August, seriously? Ridiculous.

Was always the first two weeks in August, in fact cricket starting in April has encroached on football. However on a nice warm Sunday when we are being crowned world champions I have no arguments.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I grew up in a little village just outside of Hastings in proper Eastern Sussex/West Kent 'Stoolball Country' - a place that had a village cricket team 300 years old where the game of cricket found its heartlands as a sport and fostered. I'm so happy tonight. :O

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
About four hours ago

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not a cricket fan but becoming one. Always had a passing interest in, went to one WC match and watched the final today. If that doesn’t get you into the sport I don’t know what will. I’m increasingly drawn to it and will get along to the twenty twenty Surrey v GOSBTS at the Oval next month. Footballs lost so much in recent decades, maybe cricket can replace some of that for old as well as new generations.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just one question if someone can answer, why was Jason Roy not out LBW first ball? I'm still not quite sure.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not a cricket fan but becoming one. Always had a passing interest in, went to one WC match and watched the final today. If that doesn’t get you into the sport I don’t know what will. I’m increasingly drawn to it and will get along to the twenty twenty Surrey v GOSBTS at the Oval next month. Footballs lost so much in recent decades, maybe cricket can replace some of that for old as well as new generations.
Well said. I was quite late to cricket as a fan but I love it more than any sport now. And I REALLY love football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just one question if someone can answer, why was Jason Roy not out LBW first ball? I'm still not quite sure.
I think they said on the commentary that on the computer generated ball trajectory prediction that 50+% of the ball has to connect with 50+% of the width of the stump.

It looked like about 48% of the ball.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

It’s a great sport, polar opposite to football (I’m not knocking football as it’s my main passion) in that the ‘spirit of cricket’ is actually in the rules. Kids should play both, cricket teaches fair play and team work above everything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here