Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The match did reach the point where no team deserved to lose. That has been said before of course, in many sports, but never to this extremity. I think, because if that, the English team didn't celebrate as wholeheartedly as they would have done if they had won convincingly. They came over slightly awkward in their celebrations which is to their credit. The Aussies wouldn't have held back.
I'd have been straight over to the Kiwis to console them, they just didn't deserve to lose like that (on number of boundaries in the innings - did anyone even know that was a rule?). Ben Stokes knocking the throw-in for another 4 is just the jammiest piece of cricket ever.

I would add his 6 too, but on reflection that was a little bit of a fielding mistake.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Jofra Archer:

"The last time I was in a final it didn't go my way so that was in my mind. Stokesy came over and told me, win or lose, today will not define me as a player."

And it was Stokes who bowled that last over in the T20 final. With the West Indies needing 19, he was hit for 4 successive sixes.

Fair play to him to having a quiet word with Jofra. He knew all too well what the outcome could be. A worthy MOTM.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stokes gave away 18 runs in 3 balls in our last over against the West Indies. He was 'that guy'. But that's not how he's going to be remembered now is it.

I take your point. But I have NEVER seen a World Cup boil down to what we saw today. That was quite unprecedented. I was literally chewing my fist at every Archer delivery, and that over he bowled will go down in history. It delivered the trophy and made us World Champions. That was a life-defining over for the fella, and I will forever be in awe at the bollocks that took.

That was like taking a penalty shootout - on your own.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I take your point. But I have NEVER seen a World Cup boil down to what we saw today. That was quite unprecedented. I was literally chewing my fist at every Archer delivery, and that over he bowled will go down in history. It delivered the trophy and made us World Champions. That was a life-defining over for the fella, and I will forever be in awe at the bollocks that took.

That was like taking a penalty shootout - on your own.

I've never seen a game, let alone a world cup, come down to that.

Edit: Jofra also went for 15, it went to boundaries. We were neck and neck, innings and super over.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I'd have been straight over to the Kiwis to console them, they just didn't deserve to lose like that (on number of boundaries in the innings - did anyone even know that was a rule?). Ben Stokes knocking the throw-in for another 4 is just the jammiest piece of cricket ever.

I would add his 6 too, but on reflection that was a little bit of a fielding mistake.

You're counting Trent's catch tight on the boundary rope as a fielding mistake? That's a perfectionist speaking, right there! He didn't really get any time to offload the ball.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You're counting Trent's catch tight on the boundary rope as a fielding mistake? That's a perfectionist speaking, right there! He didn't really get any time to offload the ball.

He did seem a little relaxed about it. If you remember the Aussies doing something similar, the guy caught it and threw it to someone else before he went out of the field of play. Your lad caught it inside the perimeter but didn't immediately throw it to the fielder near him. Could have been a match changer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Down to the wire doesn’t seem to do this terrific match credit...enthralled all day....result in doubt until the very last ball of a tournament that started, what six weeks or more ago?...amazing!

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
He did seem a little relaxed about it. If you remember the Aussies doing something similar, the guy caught it and threw it to someone else before he went out of the field of play. Your lad caught it inside the perimeter but didn't immediately throw it to the fielder near him. Could have been a match changer.

Yes, I've seen it happen, but it is very much out of the ordinary and the player needs to be sufficiently balanced to make the pass which I don't think Trent was. And besides, he' s my absolute favourite player ever so you leave him alone!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Rather oddly, what with all the stuff about it being free-to-air and so on, I actually stopped watching on the telly to have tea about 6-ish, and listened on the radio (I'd been switching between the two all day), and I carried on listening - somehow it actually seemed more exciting on the radio - not sure why. Maybe it's because I've been listening on the radio when we've had some of the most nerve-wracking cricket moments in the past, and it just seemed 'right' somehow? Anyway, now for the highlights on C4!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think Archer will become a star in the upcoming Ashes series. If the Kiwis had scored an extra run in his final over, it may have set him back years. Fine margins in sport.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Rather oddly, what with all the stuff about it being free-to-air and so on, I actually stopped watching on the telly to have tea about 6-ish, and listened on the radio (I'd been switching between the two all day), and I carried on listening - somehow it actually seemed more exciting on the radio - not sure why. Maybe it's because I've been listening on the radio when we've had some of the most nerve-wracking cricket moments in the past, and it just seemed 'right' somehow? Anyway, now for the highlights on C4!

For the SF at Edgbaston I found the atmosphere crowd wise came over better on the radio

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here